1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Why Do the English Dress So Horridly?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by itsstillmatt, Jun 4, 2007.

1. Will

Will Senior member Dubiously Honored

I also ran into Nick Foulkes last time I was in London. He was sitting next to me at the bar in the restaraunt across the street from Rubinacci. He had some interesting comments regarding the dress of many other people in said bar.

Nick's dress was very d'Orasy-esque - pink shirt with what looked to be elaborate shirt studs instead of buttons, turnback cuffs, no tie, db navy blazer and a silk navy polka dot scarf.

His parting words were that I should buy a knit tie from Rubinacci.

Did you?

2. lasbar

lasbar Senior member

Sorry if i do offend some fashionistas but i do think Nick Foulkes dandyism interesting as a cultural way of life even if i do find him particularly badly dressed....
    Being a dandy for me is escaping the usual caricature.....
    He is portraying a version of old fashioned dandyism...
    He is trying too hard ,flirting openly with affected overdress Dandysm...
    The striped shirt with the checks and the gator shoes!!!!!!!!!![​IMG] ...
    Overdress to kill!!!!!!!
    if i was sitting next to him ,i would certainly laugh more than everything....

3. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

I also ran into Nick Foulkes last time I was in London. He was sitting next to me at the bar in the restaraunt across the street from Rubinacci. He had some interesting comments regarding the dress of many other people in said bar.

Nick's dress was very d'Orasy-esque - pink shirt with what looked to be elaborate shirt studs instead of buttons, turnback cuffs, no tie, db navy blazer and a silk navy polka dot scarf.

His parting words were that I should buy a knit tie from Rubinacci.

He sounds catty--a fun companion.

4. kennethpollock

kennethpollock Senior member

That may be a good idea actually. And this would prevent French people from seeing the famous German Birkenstock + Socks combination coming in all around Mediterranee...

Sandals and socks make me shudder; the only thing worse is having to look at the ugly, hairy feet of men in sandals without socks. Why do we need sandals anyway? They went out of style with the collapse of the Roman Empire.

5. lakewolf

lakewolf Senior member

Warm weather does not bring out English style at its best, so that may in part account for what you are seeing.

That is true... I don't know how is in England, but here we are having a hot spring. And this doesn't help to be well dressed...

My ex-girlfriend used to say ... the only good thing about winter is that we can dress up better... And that is quite true, you see more people in beautiful suits and overcoats during the colder seasons... , well she never liked to ski or skate that I do enjoy during winter [​IMG]

I still dress-up but is more cottons and linens, I can't put my wool suits on these days... and the summer hasn't yet started.

6. Tomasso

Tomasso Senior member

the ugly, hairy feet of men in sandals.
    Speak for yourself. I keep my feet, often complemented for their beauty, well maintained and pedicured. [​IMG]

7. Manton

Manton Senior member Dubiously Honored

Speak for yourself. I keep my feet, often complemented for their beauty, well maintained and pedicured. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Oh, and you meant "complimented."

8. Will

Will Senior member Dubiously Honored

[​IMG]

I thought he was saying that people like the way they go with his sandals. [​IMG]

9. lasbar

lasbar Senior member

Men in sandals ,especially with socks ,must be all shot at dawn......
    Only exception:priests and Monks on religious ground

10. Film Noir Buff

Film Noir Buff Senior member

Getting back to the original topic. Probably iamatt isn't getting to see most of the better dressed Englishmen because they're not wandering aimlessly on the street. The same is true in NYC where most of the better dressed men are either indoors making decisions or getting driven from place to place; maybe even in an effort to avoid tourists.[​IMG]

11. lakewolf

lakewolf Senior member

Getting back to the original topic. Probably iamatt isn't getting to see most of the better dressed Englishmen because they're not wandering aimlessly on the street. The same is true in NYC where most of the better dressed men are either indoors making decisions or getting driven from place to place; maybe even in an effort to avoid tourists.[​IMG]

Yes this is also true... you see them however at noon when they go for lunch or at 6pm rushing home...

... or maybe they are inside their mansions and castles

12. Tomasso

Tomasso Senior member

[​IMG]

13. lasbar

lasbar Senior member

After this lenghty thread , i was paying special attention today with my wife to the sartorial models on offer in Canterbury....
    Canterbury is a posh town with university and plenty of middle class people to put the record straight,far from the social mix of where i live...
    30% of men were wearing football tops ,and i'm not exagerating to put my case across,another 50% were casual but not chic .....
    The rest was more fashion conscious from students with flip-flop/shorts to goths or trendy punk-rockers...
    I was actually looking very overdressed with my linen suit and my open white shirt...[​IMG]
    London is not England ,my friends and Savile Row is not London.....
    there is a difference between myth and reality ,i'm afraid............

14. bengal-stripe

bengal-stripe Senior member Dubiously Honored

London is not England ,my friends and Savile Row is not London.....
    there is a difference between myth and reality ,i'm afraid............

Apparently in some parts of the country, people do not feel the need at all to get dressed when leaving the house.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/northern_ireland/6735455.stm

15. lasbar

lasbar Senior member

The all tracksuit culture is alive and kicking in England....
    Men covered with tattoos wearing football tops are legion and more common than the Savile row suited gentleman...
    London is a very cosmopolitan town and is still the fashion beacon in Britain but believe me ,you're taking the risk of the worst cultural shock of your life is you're getting out of Mayfair.....
    I have been to LA ,Miami and New-York and i have found more fashion vista there than in London.....
    Do not get me wrong ,i do actually love London ,even if my English does actually hate the place ...The shops on offer are stunning and all designers are present on this attractive market.....
    Mayfair,Savile row ,Jermyn street have plenty to offer to the City boys keen on over indulging on fine clothing....
    Are we talking Nick Foulkes or the average Joe Bloke English man in the street ?Believe me the average English have absolutely no sartorial sense at all and are maybe the worst dressed in Europe...

16. offline100

offline100 Senior member

The all tracksuit culture is alive and kicking in England....
    Men covered with tattoos wearing football tops are legion and more common than the Savile row suited gentleman...

This should not be even slightly surprising. Does anyone really expect there to be *more* bespoke suits on the street than working class gear? This is akin to saying "what? all the women in Tokyo don't wear kimonos? There are more baseball caps than sombreros in Mexico City!?"

Many people in London dress extremely well. But if all your life you've thought of England as one big episode of Masterpiece Theater, you're bound to be disappointed when you visit.

17. GBR

GBR Senior member

They do not. The dress appropriately to the occasion in English terms. One day shorts/tee-shirt/JB, the next Anderson and Shepherd three piece, They are neither clothes horses nor prissy about wearing some dreadful sack suit to go to the super market.

18. lasbar

lasbar Senior member

Which planet are you coming from?
    I live in an average 50000 inhabitants south-east town and the best you will find is a Debenhams 200 pounds suit....
    One person was right ,bespoke is the apanage of the happy few and if you're coming to England and expecting to see Hunstman suits in every streets ,you will have a heart attack...
    Stop being delusional with some idea of grandeur, have a coffee in any corner of the south-east ,the rich commuter-belt and look around you...
    Football tops are beating even the casual look flip/flop tee-shirts...
    Go up north and it's even worse...
    They call me overdress because i'm wearing a linen suit for an evening party and i can assure you that i'm the only one in a big international transport comapny to have any sartorial worries ....The England from the Archers is not exactly what you will mixed with in your everyday life....
    Stop kidding yourself or stuck with your gentle mary ppoppins idea of a country who has changed a lot...
    P.S: I do live and work in England for more than 10 years and live in a docile place of Kent,not in any rough London borough or Liverpool...

19. Despos

Despos Senior member Dubiously Honored

Matt,
    I thiink what you are seeing has as much to do with the development of your eye and taste for cloth and fit. Don't know how long you have been having clothes made but I am sure your taste level and awareness of fitting issues has grown substantially since you began.
    Often after making someone their first custom suit they come back and say how poorly the other men in their office dress. They notice rumpled shoulders, collars that don't hug, etc.. Things they never noticed pryor to getting a suit that fits and they become aware of the possibilities. Some men have worn ill fitting clothing for so long they have accepted that as the way jackets or trousers or shirts fit. Many have never ventured past the department store experience.

Men dress poorly everywhere. Two simple reasons. They just don't know or care to know a better way to dress and they aren't comfortable in tailored clothing because they don't how clothes should fit or how to get clothing to fit properly. Men don't want to wear clothing they are not comfortable in, so they don't dress.
    Comfort wins over propriety.

20. mensimageconsultant

mensimageconsultant Senior member

Europeans drive less than Americans, and air conditioning is less popular in Europe than in the USA. That's probably why sandals are more common in Europe.

Britons do often have bad teeth, due to problems with the health care system. They aren't known for general physical attractiveness, either. Therefore, it's possible that that gives many a "why bother" attitude toward dressing well.