• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Why Do the English Dress So Horridly?

LSeca

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
I would agree with that. Average man is worse dressed in London but businessmen (at least in finance and law) are generally much better dressed than Wall St counterparts

Thanks. This is what I was asking about ealier in the thread, having not ever been to London I assumed this was true.

Cantabrigian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lasbar
PersonallyI do love both influences....My suits will be more Brioni or Rubinacci than Hunstman or Poole ..It is just a question of personal taste...
I find the Italian cut/construction sharper ,sexier and more attractive....

Isn't Brioni a lot more like Poole than Rubinacci - firmer shoulder, more angular (in the MTM incarnation), leaner?

I do agree with your point though. There is a lot to appreciate in both traditions.

Will

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Cantabrigian
Isn't Brioni a lot more like Poole than Rubinacci - firmer shoulder, more angular (in the MTM incarnation), leaner?

That's the right idea. Brioni is more like Huntsman than Rubinacci. Rubinacci is more like Poole, though that's a bit of a stretch. A&S is the better comparison.

Nonk

Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
as an update, I saw both Nick Foulkes and Bryan Ferry today. Ferry was dressed nicely, if casually, while Foulkes was really turned out. I am not sure that I can say I liked his get up, but probably others would have found it superb.

Lucky bastard, last time I was in London I saw Peter Stringfellow.
plain.gif

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
And me the guy with tourette from Big brother 25!!!!!!!!!!
crackup[1].gif

Pete something....I didn't recognised him but the young girl next to my table was trying to take a picture of him ,paparazzi style ,with her pathetic mobile...
That is the main benefit of being older ,our memory is not that great in the first placeand is becoming more and more selective...
Near Berluti ,a year ago ,i nearly bumped into Daniel Beddinfield.....the sister would have been better ,maybe not!!!!!!!!!!!

Sartorian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GQgeek
Women in a lot of places dress horribly so let's not single-out london. Not everyone is spoiled by living in california or ny or miami (drool). You would think london would be better though... I'm sure if you had gone to the right clubs you would have found a ton of hot chicks.
I'm from California, live in NY. Women in California don't dress well, they're just healthy and pretty. They dress as well as most of the guys: jeans and t-shirts, shorts and t-shirts, crap crap crap; go to Hollywood, Beverly Hills, North Beach in SF, they'll be wearing expensive crap crap crap. And you fellows are right about the London ladies: beer-guzzling lushes with equine features and an inability to behave anywhere in the middle between aloof snots and raging drunkards.

Sartorian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
I would agree with that. Average man is worse dressed in London but businessmen (at least in finance and law) are generally much better dressed than Wall St counterparts

exactly. Businessmen here in NYC dress atrociously; especially on a per capita basis. And with all the tailors, suitsellers, sample sales, hot ladies, everyone in the world to tell them they're doing it all wrong, they still f- it up.

Teacher

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Get Smart
what else would you expect college students to be wearing while backpacking thru europe? Maybe all of Europe should just put up a dress code sign to keep out the riff raff, or at least provide coats and ties at the border
musicboohoo[1].gif

crackup[1].gif
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
I think I might not get the "English Style" even when done well.

This is the heart of the matter.

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The problem is that everybody has a different perception of the English look.....
I did notice that the Americans in particular ,had a very idyllic idea of British clothing...
They also tend to describe it as a Mayfair London affair....
What you do discribe as the English Sartorial look is only present in Mayfair or Liverpool street,the playground of the happy few is extremely rare and normaly worn by foreigners more aware of the English heritage than the natives themselves...
i do live in England for 10 years and i have to confess that none of my English friends have any sort of sartorial preoccupations at all and they're not on benefits ,believe me...
They tend to go for Hugo Boss ,Ralph Lauren,Gucci and other labels than for pure quality....
They're bankers ,traders and do not have Savile row suits or even John Lobb shoes...
As they have no real sense of their history ,they're not fully aware of their fantastic tailoring heritage...
What is exactly the British/English look ,away from the usual stereotypes?
Church's shoes ,brogues,tweed ,flannel and Savile row tailoring?
Burberry's scarfs ,Burlington socks today worn by chavs in every council estates of the land...
the world is becoming a smaller place and everybody now is interacting together...
i do believe in a British influence but the real English spirit is merely surviving in a few shops using it for enhancing sales...

Film Noir Buff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The English say that it doesn't matter how you wear a suit, as long as you do so badly.

The English do not like to look like they care. As with anything else you're going to get extremists who want to make sure the point is driven in to the hilt.

Whenever you study a group there are going to be disappointments, sometimes what is more important is the ideal. Sitting around worrying if someone else is well dressed sometimes seems like a waste of energy. Surely what's important is that the English created the ideal, the image and that they supply men interested in being well dressed and well groomed with both the articles and the guiding light.

Here is further reading on what the English way is about. I would also say that the value in studying another culture doesn't stop at the simple observation but rather only carries value in so far as it makes you think about what youre doing and why.

http://www.filmnoirbuff.com/article/...l-white-rabbit

http://www.filmnoirbuff.com/article/...pes-and-checks

http://www.filmnoirbuff.com/article/...man-of-manners

http://www.filmnoirbuff.com/article/...ty-suit-part-i

http://www.filmnoirbuff.com/article/acorn-shirt-fabric

http://www.filmnoirbuff.com/article/...ty-suit-part-2

ABALO

Reaction score
musicboohoo[1].gif

soulstylist

Reaction score
Originally Posted by lasbar
(...)Burberry's scarfs ,Burlington socks today worn by chavs in every council estates of the land...(...)
Burlington is a German company btw...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads