• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Why Do the English Dress So Horridly?

texas_jack

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mensimageconsultant
Europeans drive less than Americans, and air conditioning is less popular in Europe than in the USA. That's probably why sandals are more common in Europe.

Britons do often have bad teeth, due to problems with the health care system. They aren't known for general physical attractiveness, either. Therefore, it's possible that that gives many a "why bother" attitude toward dressing well.

lol

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's hardly a joke. Obesity in Europe, the United Kingdom more so than some of the other countries mentioned, is catching up to American obesity. Although it could be attributable to deeper factors, one shouldn't be surprised if English style is consequently sliding downward and even alleged stalwarts such as France decline greatly in the near future. Nowhere are the obese known for dressing well.

Cantabrigian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Europeans drive less than Americans, and air conditioning is less popular in Europe than in the USA. That's probably why sandals are more common in Europe.

Britons do often have bad teeth, due to problems with the health care system. They aren't known for general physical attractiveness, either. Therefore, it's possible that that gives many a "why bother" attitude toward dressing well.

Do people really pay you for those sorts of gems?

The only time that it's been clearer to me that there really are people with more money than sense is when I heard that some pay 900 for bespoke polo shirts.

lakewolf

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Maybe Matt should wear his pink glasses the next time he goes to the UK, he'll see things better then
smile.gif

lakewolf

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Despos
Matt,
I thiink what you are seeing has as much to do with the development of your eye and taste for cloth and fit. Don't know how long you have been having clothes made but I am sure your taste level and awareness of fitting issues has grown substantially since you began.
Often after making someone their first custom suit they come back and say how poorly the other men in their office dress. They notice rumpled shoulders, collars that don't hug, etc.. Things they never noticed pryor to getting a suit that fits and they become aware of the possibilities. Some men have worn ill fitting clothing for so long they have accepted that as the way jackets or trousers or shirts fit. Many have never ventured past the department store experience.

Men dress poorly everywhere. Two simple reasons. They just don't know or care to know a better way to dress and they aren't comfortable in tailored clothing because they don't how clothes should fit or how to get clothing to fit properly. Men don't want to wear clothing they are not comfortable in, so they don't dress.
Comfort wins over propriety.

Exactly... right to the point !

It is funny, some days I feel I am not well dressed but I am still complimented by many telling me... wow you are allways very smart and elegant.... Specially for example yesterday, I went to dance to a little club in which I know I will be steeped over, sweated and beer spilled so I was just putting on the lesser good clohes, a fused and ill fitting jacket, a disposable shirt and my well worn ( but beautiful) shoes... I still got compliments... and this is because OUR standards are much higher now, their standards are still the same....

passingtime

Reaction score

I will be charitable and assume the comment on sandals was a joke. For the rest you are commenting on a culture you obviously don't understand, and compounding your error by attempting to interpret it in the context of your local culture.

Reaction score
MENSIMAGECONSULTANT - Quotes

"Britons do often have bad teeth, due to problems with the health care system. They aren't known for general physical attractiveness, either. Therefore, it's possible that that gives many a "why bother" attitude toward dressing well."

"It's hardly a joke. Obesity in Europe, the United Kingdom more so than some of the other countries mentioned, is catching up to American obesity. Although it could be attributable to deeper factors, one shouldn't be surprised if English style is consequently sliding downward and even alleged stalwarts such as France decline greatly in the near future. Nowhere are the obese known for dressing well."

MensImageConsultant
boxing[1].gif
The Style Council

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
A post has to be unusually stupid to make my sympathize with passingtime. Congratulations.

Percy Trimmer

Reaction score
England is still essentially a 'class' society. Until relatively recently most people dressed according to their perceived 'station' in life. Many still do. Dressing 'horridly' would not be seen as an offence in England in the way that dressing above or below your station would. Indeed these days dressing horridly is probably the safest way to dress if you do not want to draw attention to yourself or be thought pretentious.

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
England is still a class-based society and that social segregation is deeper than you think.....
It is starting as early as you are born which influence which school you're attending ,education you're receiving and so on.....
I just got back from Venice and i have seen more elegant people than in London...
The ill-suited suit is a rarity there...

eg1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Percy Trimmer
England is still essentially a 'class' society. Until relatively recently most people dressed according to their perceived 'station' in life. Many still do. Dressing 'horridly' would not be seen as an offence in England in the way that dressing above or below your station would. Indeed these days dressing horridly is probably the safest way to dress if you do not want to draw attention to yourself or be thought pretentious.

This makes a great deal of sense to me, even over here in "the colonies". Growing up, if you ever wore a suit, the immediate crack was "who died?" -- and there was no mistaking the sneering "tall poppy" hostility.

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I do work in the south-east of England and when i meet one of my colleague on my days off wearing a suit ,they will always comment on it....
I do not like stereotypes but in my local town ,40% of men are wearing football tops to go shopping with the missus...
The Savile row myth is only a microcosm and believe me ,in certain parts of the country ,tracksuits are the attire du jour....
The average English men is far from being the Sartorial God some people would like to think....Mayfair is not England....
The Italian job bloke has more dress sense than his English counterpart ....

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Those are good points about a class-based society. Going back to the subject of obesity, read this. Many Americans probably base their perceptions of Britons on what they see on television or in film, which tends to be some form of stylized fiction or celebrities dressed up for public appearances.

Meurice

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nantucket Red
London sounds like the perfect dystopia.

What, you think it's a coincidence that 1984, BNW, and all the rest are all British?
smile.gif

I was in London just a few days ago in the same places, Matt. I did make a little pilgrimage to Savile Row but it was late and there was literally no one there.

I did see a lot of cool streetwear, and for the first time ever a bunch of guys rocking Nudie denim.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.8%

Forum statistics

Threads