• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Why do people hate on jeans like rock & republics and sfam?

Fortysomething

Reaction score
Originally Posted by crosswound
i wonder what you people be like if some retailer all of a sudden started opening up stores in the mall and selling all your raw denim brands. while educating everyone on them and they all started wearing them?

what would you guys all do go back to levi's? every few years some craze gets old and certain people move away from it. then eventually everyone catches up. those people then find something else new to get away from everyone else.

Interesting point. Marketing has a lot to do with popularity, and sales. It (marketing) isn't the only thing, but it definitely has a significant effect. If someone or some company did what you suggested, I would think that the people who currently buy the brands that are loathed here could very well switch over to brands to that are adored here, but it would probably take some good marketing and it wouldn't happen overnight so to speak.

There is a store in the Scottsdale Fashion Square mall, called Hub Clothing, they carry both the Diesel types and Kicking Mule Project and Nudie types. It would be interesting to know what sells more and what the demographics are of the purchasers.

Saucemaster

Sized Down 2
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Fortysomething
There is a store in the Scottsdale Fashion Square mall, called Hub Clothing, they carry both the Diesel types and Kicking Mule Project and Nudie types. It would be interesting to know what sells more and what the demographics are of the purchasers.
No need to wonder. Our own beloved Denim Bar sells plenty of 7FAMs, True Religions, etc as well as 5EP, KMW, Nudie. IIRC, the 7s and the like pretty much pay the bills, no contest. As for the demographics, most guys buy what their girlfriends tell them to buy... so the demographics of the girlfriends matter most, I think.
smile.gif

Ludeykrus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is getting ******* ridiculous. Roughly a dozen more LIGHT wears from the last pics I posted (I was trying to preserve the great color/wash):

100_2770_800x600.jpg

100_2775_800x600.jpg

100_2776_800x600.jpg

100_2778_800x600.jpg

A new full blown tear, the beginnings of two new small holes, and the original pocket hole has gotten a little bit bigger.

cj3113

Reaction score
One thing that I would say needs to be considered..

most people on this forum cherish raw denim. I would assume they treat their jeans as so. Those who do own "Mall Brands" probably just wear them around doing whatever/washing whenever for the most part disregarding them. This in turn, would lead to faster/more wear on the jeans.

Definitely not saying they are better, but I think it should be considered.

Poomba

Reaction score
Originally Posted by cj3113
One thing that I would say needs to be considered..

most people on this forum cherish raw denim. I would assume they treat their jeans as so. Those who do own "Mall Brands" probably just wear them around doing whatever/washing whenever for the most part disregarding them. This in turn, would lead to faster/more wear on the jeans.

Definitely not saying they are better, but I think it should be considered.

Id disagree with that.
Most members "live" in their raw denim to get fades.
Where as someone with just a premium mall brand would probably care more about what happened to their jeans, though they wash them more which is bad.

cj3113

Reaction score
Definitely the raw denim fans will wear them more. But somebody who is wearing mall jeans probably doesn't even know what is good/bad for the jeans. Those with mall jeans but prefer raw, could probably care less about them.

I'm not saying its always the case, but it would not surprise me if it led to at least a few misconceptions of quality.

cj3113

Reaction score
Originally Posted by whodini
lurker[1].gif

I wonder where either of you get your information.

Me? I don't know what "information" you were talking about. I just had an inference based on my experience. I just got my first pair of raw jeans not to long ago and they are like a holy grail now. The rest of my jeans (mostly "Mall brands") are washed regularly and treated much rougher. In turn, they wear a lot faster.

randomkoreandude

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
so other than raw denim (APC, Nudies, Sammy's, etc), what do you guys wear?

everyone ive read so far hates r&r, true religion, 7 jeans ... did anyone mention diesel?

cj3113

Reaction score
I've got a couple pair of Diesels. I really like some of their cuts/washes, but you really never know what to expect from them.

modagg

Reaction score
I've got a couple pair of Diesels. I really like some of their cuts/washes, but you really never know what to expect from them.

Many on this forum will disagree but diesel is prob the best quality mall brand.

Rye GB

Angry Englishman
Reaction score
I spent a few days in NYC earlier this month and spent a day shopping the stores. IMO Diesel is the best clothing company in the industry, their design team are the leaders in innovation by a stretch. I was blown away by the product in their Soho store, I would never wear any of though............I'm a misguided snob I guess.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Rye GB
I spent a few days in NYC earlier this month and spent a day shopping the stores. IMO Diesel is the best clothing company in the industry, their design team are the leaders in innovation by a stretch.

I was blown away by the product in their Soho store, I would never wear any of though............I'm a misguided snob I guess.

Haha. Yes, you are a miguided snob. Sadly, I am finding myself, increasingly, in the same category. For example, the fleece and knitwear in Diesel's Black Gold range beats the competition, including many smaller designers, and including some niche market darlings, by a wide margin. And yet, the Diesel name makes me wary...

Luckily, good buyers don't seem to be as stupid as me. Oak, for example, carries some of the best pieces in the line.

grundletaint

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i've got raw nudies (AJ) and RR in the old used prewash. nudies aren't a big deal in austin. in fact, i've only seen 2 other people wearing them.

so, jeans from the same company, largely unknown.....

have had much praise from ladies regarding the RR and absolutely zero said about the AJ other than "what do you mean you don't wash them?"

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads