• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Outside of designated casual periods (e.g. casual Friday), my job requires a jacket and tie?

• Yes

Votes: 103 27.9%
  • No

Votes: 266 72.1%

• Total voters

HotToddy

Reaction score
There are too many people in Berlin who think they should be entitled to wear whatever they want, when ever they want, no matter the occasion. To them, the slightest form of criticism of their sloppy ways makes you a snob-fascist. No where else have i seen that attitude more prevalent.

Just yesterday, i was checking Restaurant reviews, because the owner of a rather exclusive place has invited me and my GF. So i was curious. In one of the reviews, a woman down rated the Restaurant, because her boyfriend was berated by the manager for wearing flip flops. A small, seemingly meaningless example (i can tell you of quite a few others), but it's really telling.

And the guys weren't Italian, it was one German and one East Asian guy.

It gets a lot of criticism but I subscribe to the Enoteca Pinchiorri method of putting all the poorly dressed people in one room and the well dressed people in another.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
now that gentleman's gazette endorses fresco, I'm going to have to unfortunately burn my suit
Yeah, not always the best source of information but I liked the fresco part.

BXpress

Reaction score
Berlin has a de facto ban on CM.

lol forget about CM. I'd be happy if people started dressing better in any way.

It gets a lot of criticism but I subscribe to the Enoteca Pinchiorri method of putting all the poorly dressed people in one room and the well dressed people in another.

Or sometimes they just need to be told to their faces, in front of other people. Maybe then they would be shamed into putting on ...shoes

Last edited:

crazn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

i figured i got the lousywear treatment when i was there. but then again, i'm not bringing a wardrobe just to eat there and traipsing around firenze is never a good thing looking pitti like.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
@TheFoo

So what do your eminently "well fleeced" colleagues wear in the dead heat of Manhattan summer? Has Patagonia invented a summer linen or fresco version? Conformity (TeamWear) has its place but I suspect one has to draw the line somewhere, no?

Alan Bee

This isn't that hard. It's not like the vest is a literal uniform, as stipulated in the employee handbook. When it's hot, you don't wear it!

Sometimes it's hard to believe any of you exist in the real world--at least, as you posture on the internet. For those of you who religiously wear suits everyday: I'd love to hear about where you live, what you do for a living, etc. I fully expect <<crickets>> or blatant lies, but would love to be proven wrong.

dfagdfsh

Professional Style Farmer
Reaction score
as a professional gigolo, I wear a suit everyday. have you never seen the hit Richard Gere film about my profession?

FWIW, I work with dozens of people who wear suits everyday (including women!), typically senior administrative staff/academic deans.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This isn't that hard. It's not like the vest is a literal uniform, as stipulated in the employee handbook. When it's hot, you don't wear it!

Sometimes it's hard to believe any of you exist in the real world--at least, as you posture on the internet. For those of you who religiously wear suits everyday: I'd love to hear about where you live, what you do for a living, etc. I fully expect <<crickets>> or blatant lies, but would love to be proven wrong.
DC where us govt schleps have to wear suits everyday. Can pull off blazer or sport coat and dress pants combo quite often.

HotToddy

Reaction score
Or sometimes they just need to be told to their faces, in front of other people. Maybe then they would be shamed into putting on ...shoes

I am not sure that is the best policy in this post tripadvisor world. There are too many self-entitled amateur restaurant critics looking for an excuse to have their ‘perfect evening’ ruined; oblivious to the fact they are being overly fussy and may be spoiling the atmosphere for the other diners.

As much as I would enjoy a Dorsia style shaming by the Maitre D’, laughing in the face of the man attempting to enter in flip flops; segregation means the restaurant can actually make money. Why would you turn away hoards or poorly dressed tourists when instead you can make money from them and use them as the butt of your jokes?

Alan Bee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The employee handbook even acknowledges “the fleece” as TeamGear??? Oh dear, and I thought it was some sort of an unspoken code.

Now I’m beginning to suspect Goldman’s been quietly soaking up all the loose Patagonia shares on the market.

This “fleece bubble” must necessarily be a midtown thing. In most parts of the world, business dress remains a suit/or tailored jacket. I wear one everyday except for summer when temperatures approach 50 degrees Celsius (where I am).

Alan Bee

BXpress

Reaction score
As much as I would enjoy a Dorsia style shaming by the Maitre D’, laughing in the face of the man attempting to enter in flip flops; segregation means the restaurant can actually make money.

I believe that any form of segregation would spark a little bit of controversy no? Much easier to humiliate someone in front of his wife/gf. People who don't tip should get the same treatment.

....and use them as the butt of your jokes?

It has been a joke some years ago, now it's an epidemic. However, places in Germany still have the "Hausrecht". They can enforce a dress code if they want to. But just because most don't officially do it, doesn't mean that it's a good idea to go there in beach wear.

HotToddy

Reaction score
I believe that any form of segregation would spark a little bit of controversy no? Much easier to humiliate someone in front of his wife/gf. People who don't tip should get the same treatment.

It has been a joke some years ago, now it's an epidemic. However, places in Germany still have the "Hausrecht". They can enforce a dress code if they want to. But just because most don't officially do it, doesn't mean that it's a good idea to go there in beach wear.

I think people only complain about segregation when it is concerning race or religion which is fair. Other forms of segregation just make sense for everyone involved, e.g. smoking and non-smoking tables.

Also almost every high end restaurant does this. The glamorous, well dressed people are more likely to get a good table. The under dressed ones end up next to the toilets.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think people only complain about segregation when it is concerning race or religion which is fair. Other forms of segregation just make sense for everyone involved, e.g. smoking and non-smoking tables.

Also almost every high end restaurant does this. The glamorous, well dressed people are more likely to get a good table. The under dressed ones end up next to the toilets.
I'm quite happy we collectively sent the smokers packing. I won't eat in a place with smoking. Living in Germany was a bit difficult in that regard.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

wait are you guys being serious?

sometimes sf is so beyond parody i cant tell whats a joke anymore

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads