• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Outside of designated casual periods (e.g. casual Friday), my job requires a jacket and tie?

• Yes

Votes: 103 27.9%
  • No

Votes: 266 72.1%

• Total voters

Sam H

Reaction score
I'm a software developer in NYC, so no.

I have mixed feelings. I'm glad the previous generation pushed back on the social barriers of dress to the point that I'm able to show up to work in a tshirt and jeans. But I feel kind of sad that I don't "get" to dress up, because even though now there is no dress code per se, there is an implicit push to not overdress.

But really I can recognize that my desire to wear a suit would just be a vanity. Now that people don't have to wear suits in the professional world and may even feel like such clothing is discouraged, a sort of fetishization appears, especially in people my age group (30). I think every guy, whether they actually end up getting into it or not, sees someone in a movie or on a billboard in a suit and thinks "I want to have a nice suit". Maybe for some it's a passing thought or a non-obsessive endeavor (they just go to the mall and end up happier then the people here splitting hairs over everything and spending way more) but ultimately it's still just a vanity.

I've taken to wearing odd jackets if I go out (depending on the venue) and I've built up a large collection of shirts and trousers, many of which don't need a jacket. This means that I ironically now wear a jacket as leisure clothing more often than as business clothing, which really drives home my reality and likely the reality of most people in my age group who go on these sites.

Even so, people at my job know me as a guy who cares about men's clothing. That's not an impediment, it's a mix of ribbing or asking for advice, but even with that, I don't wear jackets to work, it's just the shirts, trousers, shoes and overcoats that give it away. And if I were to interview, I'd try and dress more schlubby because while I get along with everyone I know at work and my choices don't negatively reflect on me, there is a very real likelihood that if you don't know me and I'm a candidate and I dressed "up", the first impression someone would have would be negative, due to the associations of suits being counter to startup/tech culture.

This is actually, I've read, an issue that women software developers face as well, quite possibly moreso, due to a feeling of not fitting in with "the guys" since a lot of women will be more likely to dress up as it will have been emphasized more growing up versus possibly discouraged (imagine how many men get told caring about presentation is "girly" and how many women get told if they don't present themselves nicely no one will ever love them). Plus women have the minefield of judgement based on perceived "sexiness" of their clothes which leads to even more social issues in the work place (this is an issue that has been brought up to me by various professional women I know in casual conversation whether in the tech industry or not).

So while I'm glad that I don't have pressure to wear expensive and complicated clothes for all those days I'm lazy or running late or it's a million degrees and humid, there is a sort of vain sorrow that I don't *get* to wear some nice tailored clothes when the mood strikes and also the fact that the suit has been replaced with a different sort of clothing shibboleth (which I don't particularly like from an aesthetic standpoint) when it comes to networking and interviewing and other first impressions in the field.

dfagdfsh

Professional Style Farmer
Reaction score
there are also fields where people dress up consistently. I work in higher ed, and senior administrators and faculty wear suits every day. at my middle management level I wear a suit probably 4-6 times a month.

gs77

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
american jeans are so bad that japan has created an entire industry reproducing them. wait, that doesn't seem to make sense...

look at this random guy, for example, he is definitely not influenced by American fashion, right?

View attachment 1189102

Did I say jeans are bad? No.
Did I say Americans invented the "dad jeans"? Yes.
Is Agneli wearing the jeans? Yes.
Are those dad jeans or do they look bad? Cant say - Quo licet Iovi, non licet Bovi. To use Agneli is pointless. Should I pull something from "People of Wallmart" to disprove your point?
Is he influenced by American fashion? Likely Hollywood cowboy movies,or wait maybe Spagetti Westerns of the time???? That would still make it Italian interpretation of American western clothing...

And finally, is it a joke all around the world that Americans dress badly? It is....

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This thread, goddamn.
This reminds me of the scene in The Deuce when Rodney (Method Man) gets super animated because everyone else in the diner is celebrating the return of the guy who shot the pimp a season ago.

Now that, that was a cool suit.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Did I say jeans are bad? No.
Did I say Americans invented the "dad jeans"? Yes.
Is Agneli wearing the jeans? Yes.
Are those dad jeans or do they look bad? Cant say - Quo licet Iovi, non licet Bovi. To use Agneli is pointless. Should I pull something from "People of Wallmart" to disprove your point?
Is he influenced by American fashion? Likely Hollywood cowboy movies,or wait maybe Spagetti Westerns of the time???? That would still make it Italian interpretation of American western clothing...

And finally, is it a joke all around the world that Americans dress badly? It is....
Italian guys dress terribly in casual clothing, especially I'm jeans. It's like every ****** trend had a convention on their body. Definitely, in terms of streetwear, Americans still do it best, and the rest of the world emulates. From Levi's to Stussy to Supreme, the US is still the leader.

dfagdfsh

Professional Style Farmer
Reaction score
no, you see, because some americans wear ugly jeans all americans wearing jeans dress poorly (or something?)

gs77

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Italian guys dress terribly in casual clothing, especially I'm jeans. It's like every ****** trend had a convention on their body. Definitely, in terms of streetwear, Americans still do it best, and the rest of the world emulates. From Levi's to Stussy to Supreme, the US is still the leader.

You're talking about brands and designers and people who follow them, and follow fashion in general and are trying hard to look and trendy or to look certain way.
I am talking about ordinary Joe and Jane and how he or she wears whatever they got at Zara, H&M, Uniqlo, local cheap department store, flee market... name it....
I lived in Vienna and Milano before that, from Vienna I moved to Toronto. I traveled/stayed in every major European and North American city, and what I am writing here is based on my impression, nothing more, nothing less.

am55

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This convo about "all Americans" is so stupid
"The most dangerous form of stupid comment is not the long but mistaken argument, but the dumb joke. Long but mistaken arguments are actually quite rare. There is a strong correlation between comment quality and length; if you wanted to compare the quality of comments on community sites, average length would be a good predictor. Probably the cause is human nature rather than anything specific to comment threads. Probably it's simply that stupidity more often takes the form of having few ideas than wrong ones.

Whatever the cause, stupid comments tend to be short. And since it's hard to write a short comment that's distinguished for the amount of information it conveys, people try to distinguish them instead by being funny. The most tempting format for stupid comments is the supposedly witty put-down, probably because put-downs are the easiest form of humor.

Bad comments are like kudzu: they take over rapidly. Comments have much more effect on new comments than submissions have on new submissions. If someone submits a lame article, the other submissions don't all become lame. But if someone posts a stupid comment on a thread, that sets the tone for the region around it. People reply to dumb jokes with dumb jokes." - Paul Graham

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
"The most dangerous form of stupid comment is not the long but mistaken argument, but the dumb joke. Long but mistaken arguments are actually quite rare. There is a strong correlation between comment quality and length; if you wanted to compare the quality of comments on community sites, average length would be a good predictor. Probably the cause is human nature rather than anything specific to comment threads. Probably it's simply that stupidity more often takes the form of having few ideas than wrong ones.

Whatever the cause, stupid comments tend to be short. And since it's hard to write a short comment that's distinguished for the amount of information it conveys, people try to distinguish them instead by being funny. The most tempting format for stupid comments is the supposedly witty put-down, probably because put-downs are the easiest form of humor.

Bad comments are like kudzu: they take over rapidly. Comments have much more effect on new comments than submissions have on new submissions. If someone submits a lame article, the other submissions don't all become lame. But if someone posts a stupid comment on a thread, that sets the tone for the region around it. People reply to dumb jokes with dumb jokes." - Paul Graham
tl;dr

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

crazn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I find it strange that a strictly American phenomenon is now being framed as a global trend. I suppose in the same way its baseball championship is called the “World Series”.

Some of you folks need to push the boat out a little and get out of America. And I don’t mean the obligatory one week holiday or (ironically) clothes shopping trip to Europe.

Alan Bee

The suit helps hide a lot of physical shortcomings that the modern day uniform is unable to. IMHO. the gym, visible perceived fitness level and modern fitness routines has replaced the suit as the symbol of masculinity since now u can’t hide behind tailored clothing

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads