• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

whnay.'s good taste thread

TM79

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I can get down. I'm usually more of a high contrast guy so I've had to warm up to some things.

Claghorn

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I can get down with black shoes paired with a brown suit. But I can also get down with shoes lighter than trousers, so my taste is suspect.

Claghorn

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I think it might only work when the shoes and pants are a different color. I cant imagine lighter brown shoes going well with brown pants but I see them working well with blue (Sander posted something a while back with his blue suit and tan shoes)

archibaldleach

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Re: the brown tie and the brown suit, I think that brown is a color where multiple shades combine less well together in the top block than is the case with blues and greys. I almost never like my efforts to pair a brown tie with a brown jacket. On the other hand, brown shoes, a brownish tan trouser and brown jacket with the right contrast looks fine to me. Go figure.

Claghorn

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Brown ties with brown jackets/suits work if there is enough contrast. Some (many) examples, though some might not be truly brown on brown (copper on brown, tan on brown, etc)

93511c6813ebf7261942c96635f8c918.jpg

b9d32287a58da0f1cc629d25ff0816f4.jpg

72cf8ebfc354c1f8ad3f09f93595d25c.jpg

2fd816d99d904daa4db6a143069be428.jpg

223011a30ecb10223bc2215ce498cb5d.jpg

bfeefdf89226b075f1b2e98466bf04ea.jpg

56cf9740a4a5fd1c6d54695d0649a2a5.jpg

da4ba53b9e50cd8e7285f41c0feafbba.jpg

083341fac9b06d87e56c842fbf342b8b.jpg

Last edited:

Coxsackie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ some really nice fits in that bunch.

archibaldleach

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Appreciate the examples. Most of the ones I like best are not true brown on brown though. I think if we put together a bunch of grey on grey and blue and blue, I'd like them better than the typical brown on brown. It's not because I don't like brown jackets.

Claghorn

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I roll deep.

Last edited:

TM79

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Appreciate the examples. Most of the ones I like best are not true brown on brown though. I think if we put together a bunch of grey on grey and blue and blue, I'd like them better than the typical brown on brown. It's not because I don't like brown jackets.

Same here. I basically didn't like any of the solid tie fit pics. The Wu shantung was fine, as was the other patterned tie (2nd to last). I felt in most cases there was a better choice than brown.

Claghorn

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
But it's not a question of optimality. If it was, we'd wear our best fitting suit with the perfect tie everyday. I have, for example, one tie that goes with my tweed suit better than all my others. For any tie but that, I'd have to say, " this tie isn't optimal because there is a better choice.

This then extends to color families. I have a suit that definitely looks best with brown ties (a blueish gray with brown windowpane), but I don't want to only wear it with brown ties

Last edited:

archibaldleach

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

But it's not a question of optimality. If it was, we'd wear our best fitting suit with the perfect tie everyday. I have, for example, one tie that goes with my tweed suit better than all my others. For any tie but that, I'd have to say, " this tie isn't optimal because there is a better choice.

This then extends to color families. I have a suit that definitely looks best with brown ties (a blueish gray with brown windowpane), but I don't want to only wear it with brown ties

I agree that dressing should not be a matter of strict optimization (for purposes herein, I mean consistently wearing the tie one thinks looks best with a particular jacket to the exclusion of all others), but I do think we can and should optimize to a certain degree. There is a balance between optimization and variety that is worth keeping in mind. Of course we don't wear the one best tie all the time with a particular jacket, but we also don't go to the extreme of wearing a tie that pairs poorly with a particular jacket just for the sake of variety. I don't classify any of the looks you posted as poor by any stretch of the imagination, but I do think several of them would look much (rather than just a bit) better with a tie that was not brown.

I'm not saying I would never wear a brown tie with a brown jacket. I have and do at times. In most cases, I see quite a few ties in my collection that I think would pair better with a particular brown jacket, though. Of course, my tie wardrobe probably has fewer brown ties than yours does, so that could very well play a part.

The variety question is also going to be influenced by how often one wears a tailored jacket and tie and how often one wears a brown jacket in such fits. I think that brown jackets worn regularly enough can be well-paired with a brown tie (provided an appropriate contrast) from time to time, but there are a lot of other options that look good too.

Pliny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Brown ties with brown jackets/suits work if there is enough contrast. Some (many) examples, though some might not be truly brown on brown (copper on brown, tan on brown, etc)

As good a casual fit as any I've see, IMO

Claghorn

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Sir, we've repeatedly asked you not to blam in public.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MikeKirk