• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

whnay.'s good taste thread

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score

Your view is close enough to the intent of my view for this thread that practically, I don't think it matters. If you view "good taste" as shorthand for "good taste in the western tradition of men's dressing", then that's fine. My only point is that it's fine to post anything in this thread, but if the connoisseurs you cite tell you it's terrible, then you must agree or explain why it fits into their conception of good taste/good taste in the western tradition of men's dressing, not charge forward and demand that they change their sensibilities or accept that all sensibilities are created equal.

The problem I have with this position is that it doesn't address the woefully inadequate way in which most MCers dress casually, be it business casual or simply a dressed down look. The attempt to transfer the suposedly universal principles of traditional western dressing to casual settings is, in my opinion, problematic and if the MC forum revival is to be succesful, will have to be adressed at some point. Now I don't have a solution, mind you, as proclaiming a sportcoat, rough textured tie, bd dress shirt, slacks and brown wingtips is casual is simply applying the standards of another time and this entirely outside the spirit of traditional western dressing, where appropriateness is central, while on the other hand dressing SW&D style is simply not what most MCers want to attempt and is perceived as being outside of tradition.

Last edited:

unbelragazzo

Jewfro
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

The problem I have with this position is that it doesn't address the woefully inadequate way in which most MCers dress casually, be it business casual or simply a dressed down look. The attempt to transfer the principles of traditional western dressing to casual settings is, in my opinion, problematic and if the MC forum revival is to be succesful, will have to be adressed at some point. Now I don't have a solution, mind you, as proclaiming a sportcoat, rough textured tie, bd dress shirt, slacks and brown wingtips is casual is simply applying the standards of another time and this entirely outside the spirit of traditional western dressing, where appropriateness is central, while on the other hand dressing SW&D style is simply not what most MCers want to attempt and is perceived as being outside of tradition.

There's nothing casual in this thread though. I understand your critique, and to some degree I agree (my original post was about what I understood to be the point of this thread, not what my "philosophy of style" or whatever, to the degree that such a thing exists, represents). But for practical matters within this thread, I think it's irrelevant.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I thought this thread was about good taste... :confused:

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

The problem I have with this position is that it doesn't address the woefully inadequate way in which most MCers dress casually, be it business casual or simply a dressed down look. The attempt to transfer the suposedly universal principles of traditional western dressing to casual settings is, in my opinion, problematic and if the MC forum revival is to be succesful, will have to be adressed at some point. Now I don't have a solution, mind you, as proclaiming a sportcoat, rough textured tie, bd dress shirt, slacks and brown wingtips is casual is simply applying the standards of another time and this entirely outside the spirit of traditional western dressing, where appropriateness is central,
while on the other hand dressing SW&D style is simply not what most MCers want to attempt and is perceived as being outside of tradition.

It's outside of my imagination... :hide:

unbelragazzo

Jewfro
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

zeero3

Reaction score

The only time constrasting collars look good on people is if:
1) you are cast as a early 20th century dandy (a la Great Gatsby)
2) you are over the age of 70 and it just doesn't matter anymore because your wearing Rockports and ******** in a bag
I, unfortunately, learned this the hard way after rocking a constrasting RLPL shirt that upon reflection made me look like I was playing "dress up"...

Would those light blue bengal striped shirts with a contrasting white collar make the cut when worn during a wedding for morning dress (or in my case a variation of)? Funny because I was going to post a picture of my wedding ensemble, with that exact shirt, in this thread to check if it fits as good taste by some of those that I trust in this thread....

Geezer

Reaction score
Oh dear. I return to this thread after 24 hours and discover I may have played a small part in an insurgency in favour of contrast collars. Despite hardly ever wearing them. Though thinking that the key elements of mmkn's last picture do not look bad at all (RLPL?).

The issue here is not "what is bad taste?". The issue is how narrow or wide the parameters are of good taste.

johanm

Reaction score

The problem I have with this position is that it doesn't address the woefully inadequate way in which most MCers dress casually, be it business casual or simply a dressed down look. The attempt to transfer the suposedly universal principles of traditional western dressing to casual settings is, in my opinion, problematic and if the MC forum revival is to be succesful, will have to be adressed at some point. Now I don't have a solution, mind you, as proclaiming a sportcoat, rough textured tie, bd dress shirt, slacks and brown wingtips is casual is simply applying the standards of another time and this entirely outside the spirit of traditional western dressing, where appropriateness is central, while on the other hand dressing SW&D style is simply not what most MCers want to attempt and is perceived as being outside of tradition.

Spot on. Also it seems that if those MC'ers do venture beyond sportcoat and wingtips, they go straight to workwear/Americana, as though they are compelled to maintain some level of anachronism in their dress at all times.

Slewfoot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

A few people on the LL are trying to generate interest in a rerun of the Agnelli LLTW14 (the Gaz tweed suit posted a few weeks ago). If interested please let Alden know at the LL.

I'm in the midst of getting a 3-piece of that made up by Steed. It's going to be awesome.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads