• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

whnay.'s good taste thread

NOBD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I find clothes fun. (I'm not sure that sentence is correct though.) Wearing nice clothes brings me joy. Shoot me.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I find clothes fun. (I'm not sure that sentence is correct though.) Wearing nice clothes brings me joy. Shoot me.

i agree. and i will not shoot you. as a matter a fact, the clothing i am wearing right now is bringing me joy and happiness.

mmkn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

it works better with the contrast than without. I'm talking about keeping everything else exactly as is, tie, shirt color, suit etc.

Yes. With contrast collars, the entire picture (wearer, clothes) needs to be considered . . .

img411g.jpg

- M

R.O. Thornhill

Reaction score

RE: contrast collars, I think I have four, two of which were ordered that way, the others are collar replacements for older shirts. I think I last wore one four years ago to a wedding. It's my "morning shirt", pale blue pencil stripe on white ground with a white collar and self cuffs. I think it looked good with a gray suit and a wedding tie. I can't imagine wearing one for business these days. Maybe in London it's different. Interestingly, the last time I wore what counts for me as "morning rig"--gray SB with DB vest--was to a baptism and I did not reach for that shirt.

Contrast collars are very, very rare - even in London these days - and in my experience they are generally frowned upon. Americans are much more likely to wear them than Brits

The only professional circles where I'd say that they are common is among barristers - who need shirts with detachable collars, so that they can slip on a stiff collar for court

Personally I would only wear it with morning suit - and then with a stiff cutaway collar

R-O-T

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I'm guessing this is RL? Looks terrible to me.

the tie is fantastic. i saw it in person in the RL store last week, and it is just great. still pissed i didnt get it.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Was the right decision. Too shiny

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score

There are other "curated" threads around. Gdl's for example. They represent personal viewpoints on what are the best fits they have seen that day/week/whatever.
The point of this thread, as I understand it, is to presuppose that there is such a thing as good taste, and it is possible for outfits to be in bad taste. WAYWRN is very open to anyone, and there isn't much criticism. There's a significant number of posters that have the view of "here's what I wore today and I like it, if you don't like it, oh well, we just have different tastes." This thread is meant as a refuge for those who believe there is good and bad in the world of clothing, and that these views are not personal, but in some sense universal. If you don't "get it", or "have a different style", that's your fault for not having good taste, not the fault of others for being closed-minded. This doesn't mean that pics in bad taste will necessarily be deleted, but if you post you have to be willing to get pilloried for your sins, and then don't come back posting the same type of things over and over again waiting for opinions to change.
Again, this thread is not a place to debate the assumptions made by this thread, as stated above. By posting, you're basically saying you're willing to live under those assumptions while you're here. If any of this is mis-stated by me, Manton, please edit.

No. This thread is about the supposition that there is exist standards of good and bad taste in the western tradition of men's dressing and that to sucessfully dress within that tradition (i.e. be appropriately dressed and aesthetically pleasing to the eye of a connoisseur of said tradition) you need to know and apply them. This thread is where you can test your outfits under those operational rules as we have some connoiseurs that are willing to expound on what is "right" or "wrong" in an outfit. The reason why I do post comments but no outfits is that I am somewhat knowledgeable of the aforementionned tradition but do not dress that way, something that should be unexplainable under your theory.:foo:

unbelragazzo

Jewfro
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

No. This thread is about the supposition that there is exist standards of good and bad taste in the western tradition of men's dressing and that to sucessfully dress within that tradition (i.e. be appropriately dressed and aesthetically pleasing to the eye of a connoisseur of said tradition) you need to know and apply them. This thread is where you can test your outfits under those operational rules as we have some connoiseurs that are willing to expound on what is "right" or "wrong" in an outfit. The reason why I do post comments but no outfits is that I am somewhat knowledgeable of the aforementionned tradition but do not dress that way, something that should be unexplainable under your theory.:foo:

Your view is close enough to the intent of my view for this thread that practically, I don't think it matters. If you view "good taste" as shorthand for "good taste in the western tradition of men's dressing", then that's fine. My only point is that it's fine to post anything in this thread, but if the connoisseurs you cite tell you it's terrible, then you must agree or explain why it fits into their conception of good taste/good taste in the western tradition of men's dressing, not charge forward and demand that they change their sensibilities or accept that all sensibilities are created equal.

mmkn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

a few places

The high contrast of the collar makes it suitable for more formal occasions - like carrying the Olympic torch, or attending a summer wedding.

- M

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can't stand the contrasting white color and bright colored and patterned shirts promoted by RL. Thankfully, the look will fade away from his ads, as it has in the past, after about two years.

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Staff online

Forum statistics