• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

whnay.'s good taste thread

johnvw

Reaction score

like. nice pairing

+1 Color combination looks good as it appears on my computer monitor. Minor deductions on overall appearance b/c of tie--knot could be better, and it looks as though narrow end extends below wide end.

mymil

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

LL
This is not good for many reasons. The colors of your tie, pocketsquare, and Isaia fanboy lapel pin are all loud and they all clash which each other---every single one. Wearing brand logos is not in good taste. I think turquoise is a garish color, which is aggravated by the very "wet" shine of the silk square. The ps is far over-poofed---I doubt you want to call as much attention to it as you are. It's hard to tell what's going on with your shirt because of the light, but it seems rather bright. So your tie is too dark to mediate between the light shirt and the dark suit. I think the tie is also too "country" for this suit, regardless of color and contrast. Did I miss anything?

Last edited:

ThinkDerm

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

The dominant background color is actually the salmon, but the green/turquoise is fairly prominent. That's why I asked.
FYI, this isn't me. Its from the Alan See's blog and something I liked but never would have thought of, let alone done, so I was interested in your thoughts. Thanks for the commentary.
The great thing about this thread is that it has me thinking about how I dress. Much of the time, I'm on autopilot, a grey or blue suit, any blue or blue and white shirt, any blue or maybe grey tie, white linen pocket square, little thought about pattern or texture and none about saturation. Foo's commentary made me start thinking about these things. And since Foo is the most vocal of the knowledgeable posters, there's a tendency to try out his suggestions. As for the newly reviled cream silk square, I haven't taken mine out of the drawer two years, but I've tried it a number of times recently in response to Foo's advocacy. I'm wearing it today after deciding it was better than white linen.

Today:

Yesterday w/ default white linen:

Incidentally, that's the Minnis 520 I'm wearing today and the pic is fairly accurate on my monitor. Yesterday's suit was the hated by Manton Premier Cru which feels a little flimsy but barely wrinkled through a very long day.

pretty solid

p.henrik

Reaction score
T
Actually, I just went through and computed the difference in brightness and contrast between the elements of the pocket sqare and the suit, and there's a pretty significan't difference. The suit averages out to somewhere around

a0 = {134, 138, 183};

in RGB and the main colors of the PS are

b0 = {79, 19, 73};
c0 = {160, 114, 117};
d0 = {217, 195, 208};
e0 = {60, 70, 97};

so computing the brightnesses yields

N[Mean[a0]]=151.667
N[Mean[b0]]=57.
N[Mean[c0]]=130.333
N[Mean[d0]]=206.667
N[Mean[e0]]=75.6667

with extremal differences in brightness of 55 and -94. Not insignificant distances in color space. Contrast is similar, with a mean contrast from the suit of 120.509 and extemum of 171 and 74. All in all, you're just wrong.

This is great stuff. Only a men's forum would disect an outfit like this. Imagine this happening at a women's style forum - never.

Caustic Man

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
T
This is great stuff. Only a men's forum would disect an outfit like this. Imagine this happening at a women's style forum - never.

Even though I get what you are saying, honestly I found ****'s analysis a little tired and pointless. I'm not trying to beat a dead horse here, but something that makes a big difference in computer programming as far as color goes wont necessarily translate into a big difference to the eye. It probably doesn't even matter anyway because as SB noted, no one is looking at him in black and white. However as absurd as that is, I honestly saw what foo was talking about when he posted the b&w picture. So I guess my point is that foo's pointless point was better that ****'s pointless point. Check out how many times I crammed "point" into that sentence. Badass.

stupendous

Reaction score
This is not good for many reasons. The colors of your tie, pocketsquare, and Isaia fanboy lapel pin are all loud and they all clash which each other---every single one. Wearing brand logos is not in good taste. I think turquoise is a garish color, which is aggravated by the very "wet" shine of the silk square. The ps is far over-poofed---I doubt you want to call as much attention to it as you are. It's hard to tell what's going on with your shirt because of the light, but it seems rather bright. So your tie is too dark to mediate between the light shirt and the dark suit. I think the tie is also too "country" for this suit, regardless of color and contrast. Did I miss anything?

Thank you for your comments. agree, the Isaia pin was a bit over the top. When I first took the picture, and then saw it, I was tempted to remove it because I knew what the reaction would be on SF. But, I wanted members to see the 'raw' image, if you will, and take my medicine.

The ps was a bit forced - The pattern on it was outlined by a purple line same as the shade in the tie. I guess I was hoping that that would tie them in together. Thank you for pointing out the 'wet' of the ps. What tie could I wear with that then. if any? Should it also be used for a lighter colored suit? I am new to ps' - still experimenting with different poofing methods. I'll get it someday
biggrin.gif

The shirt is actually a pale blue and white houndstooth patterned shirt - pattern being washed out due to poor ipad camera and photographic skills. Should the shirt be a bit darker or the color more intense?

I don't understand the tie being 'coountry'. Could you elaborate a bit please?

I do appreciate the comments, and would welcome more feedback. Could I just also ask for possible ways to improve it, changin maybe one or two items but leaving the rest?

Much appreciated.

Loathing

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How the hell did you come to the conclusion that the plural of ps is ps'?

The tie is "country" because it features a large textured check pattern with brown/orange colours in it. Browns are country. Large checks are country. Texture isn't very city (it can be, but not when combined with the other aspects).

The PS should go with a lighter suit, yes. Also, it should be worn in the warmer months with other summery colours and/or summery fabrics. I.e., it shouldn't be worn with browns, dark oranges, etc. Also, too much PS is showing; you should never really have that much sticking up, but it is particularly important to avoid having so much of such a bright square on show.

Also, it would help if you could take clearer photos; and if you could learn to tie your tie a little better.

Finally, this thread isn't really the advice-for-neophytes thread. You would be better off posting questions like these in other threads. If you want general advice you'd do well to read a book by Flusser or Manton. Mafoofan's blog has an informative guide on coherent PS/tie combinations, so taking a look at that would be a good first step: www.tweedinthecity.com.

Last edited:

deathntaxes

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
But, I wanted members to see the 'raw' image, if you will, and take my medicine...
Sorry, but this sort of riff-raff is what keeps disappointing the spirit of this 'good taste' thread to readers like myself, and I imagine to the members who have tried to be helpful.

This is not WAYWRN, although some members have started to treat it as such. This is simply not the place to post novice, garish outfits or to ask basic questions (the answers to which can easily be found by searching past discussions). I know you must be genuinely interested in learning and getting feedback, but if you have followed even just the last dozen pages of discussion, you can likely deduce that an ensemble with a loud pocket square bearing little to no coherence to the rest of the outfit, not to mention a brand pin, are far from good taste and does not belong here.
...I urge chavs, fops, bottom feeders and n00bs to think carefully before you post in this thread. If you are wondering whether something is in good taste, it probably isn't.

I think outfits posted here would greatly benefit from being accompanied by a few comments capturing why they think it is in or close to good taste. Ideally as a result they would refrain from posting if they cannot come up with a thoughtful explanation.

NOBD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Contrast is something you can play with. Sure, medium to high contrast is most foo(l)-proof, but I thought this was the advanced thread, not the highschool thread. And besides tone contrast, there's colour contrast (and textural contrast). Medium blues, greys and browns for instance can be great together and provide enough overall contrast. Even ton-sur-ton is possible. Try things out and see if it works.

Last edited:

poorsod

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think tie length and FIH knot is the bane of RTW ties. Often one end ends up too long and some mornings I'm not in the mood to redo the knot.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
back blade barely peeking below the front is OK sometimes but an inch or more is always :facepalm:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads