1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

whnay.'s good taste thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Manton, Jul 30, 2012.

1. jkelly04

jkelly04 New Member

Jacket - Zegna
    Shirt - Brioni
    Tie - Zegna Couture
    PS - Santoni

[​IMG]

2. emsf

emsf Active Member

Someone must have hacked Foo's account..

3. in stitches

in stitches Senior member Moderator

plus one. JP knows what he is doing.

4. mafoofan

mafoofan Senior member Dubiously Honored

Thoughtful critique takes even more effort than shooting and uploading photos. I used to consider it worthwhile, as I believe it's infinitely more helpful than simply admiring an outfit. After all, an outfit is just a snapshot at the end of a long, intricately dynamic process. If you try to learn from an outfit, without working on understanding how it came to be, you are at best going to walk away with a neat costume idea. You have to develop and refine the process of dressing to improve your style. That involves thinking about clothes with far more care and consideration than you're probably used to, not so much buying the right tie on your next trip to the mall.

The problem is that very few people have the patience, confidence, and commitment to really learn this stuff. People here tend to take criticism of their clothing choices far too personally. They post outfits with the hidden assumption that they will, naturally, find nothing but applause and admiration. So, when someone with demonstrable taste explains that a proudly-posted outfit is actually no good, what is the result? Tantrums and sour grapes. Next thing you know, the person offering the critique is under attack. So, then, fuck it: Give me deets on that tie. It really pops! If you think that's obnoxious, you now know how I feel.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  5. dopey

dopey Senior member Dubiously Honored

The first photo is a study in gloom and sadness, not saved by the square. I like the second. The Christmas colors in the tie/square combo would be better replaced with something less aggressively seasonal, but I still like it. I think there is a "show us your bathroom floor" thread in the Fine Living section of the site.

6. NORE

NORE Senior member

So Foo, what do you put on first, socks and shoes or shirt?

7. mafoofan

Shirt first. Then socks, then shoes. Unless I'm not wearing socks, which is, like, obviously, never. Duh.

8. edmorel

edmorel Senior member Dubiously Honored

I put pants on first.

9. mafoofan

Again, this is based on an important assumption.

10. Ivar

Ivar Senior member

I really like this (minus the square), and I think the grey shirt works. Just dimple the tie and tighten the knot next time.

11. Wallcloud

Wallcloud Senior member

I followed that thread from the very beginning. It is one of the reasons I am getting new shirts. I think Foo is much more mature than me stylistically (If in no other way!) and his idea of simplifying his shirt wardrobe to something that will look good consistently, regardless of situation or pairing, is very inspiring. I think I will go back through the first 15 pages or so.

thanks for the input IS. I think I will do some type of blue small scale striped shirt. I want to give the linen/ cotton blend dress shirt a try as Manton seems to love them for warm weather.

1 person likes this.
  12. in stitches

in stitches Senior member Moderator

i start with socks (well underwear and and undershirt really), from there go to pants, then shoes, and then shirt. i put on the shirt afterwards to prevent unnecessary wrinkling from the movement when putting on the the other items, particularly tying my shoes.

13. CaymanS

CaymanS Senior member

Sig-worthy.

Btw, sometimes it is difficult to tell if the vets fail to acknowledge a post because the outfit in question is in such (a) good taste that it goes without saying, or (b) bad taste that the outfit does not merit acknowledgement.

To my mind, JPHardy's last combination was very well-executed, but the vets are mum. If one of you (Ed, Foo, Dopey, Manton) could chime in, even if to explain how you might tweak a certain element, that would be helpful. This is the outfit to which I refer:

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  14. dopey

dopey Senior member Dubiously Honored

^ The Anna Karenina Principle, at work.

1 person likes this.
  15. edmorel

There is a conflict of interest in me saying anything about JP Hardy

1 person likes this.
  16. mafoofan

Ed is screwing with you. In his earnest assessment, that thread should be avoided like the plague. He might be right to some extent.

However, it's worth noting that this whole "OneShirt" thing isn't really new. Easily 80% of my shirts are solid blue (60% if not counting OCBDs). It's always worked for me, so I finally just gave the concept a pithy name. You are by no means treading dangerous, uncharted territory.

17. NORE

NORE Senior member

Cayman, I like your avatar but would love it if it was more fluid. Work on that.

18. edmorel

I think if anyone asked my thoughts on shirts, I would tell them that 80-90% of their shirts should be some sort of solid blue as that is pretty much what I wear so we are pretty much in the same boat.

19. mafoofan

It's a crowded boat, with lots of really well-dressed men in it. That doesn't stop the masses of neophytes from impulsively recoiling from the idea.

1 person likes this.
  20. tdude

tdude Senior member

Quote:
    Point taken on the investment in thoughtful critique. In fact, I wouldn't want critique from you if you weren't so thoughtful. I have witnessed you run into the "f-it cause I like it crowd." Manton too. I know it frustrates you. On the other hand, I know that your manner of expression comes off heavy-handed to some folks, and they perceive that you are talking down to them. I don't know you, and won't form a conclusion in that debate. I don't think that debate needs or even deserves to be resolved for an internet community.

As for me, I don't understand the thin skin--either theirs when critiqued or yours when your critique is rebuffed. You couldn't possibly say anything that would offend me. If i disliked your critique, I would consider it for what it is. No more, no less. But no tantrums. No sour grapes. I realize that some go that route. So be it. Ignore them and don't critique a post from them again. But don't give up offering insight to those who have been receptive. (not so much plugging me, because i havent solicited your input until now, but there have been others who were receptive.)