• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

which service do you use?

matadorpoeta

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
we have cable right now but i'm thinking of switching. the problem is that every couple of months, whatever channel my family has been watching most suddenly becomes unavailable to us. it gets bumped to a different tier of service and i'm asked to pay extra in order to get it back.

this is occuring regularly and i have no doubt they are monitoring what we watch and taking channels away accordingly.

so which do you prefer? directv, dish network, or what?

i'll need whatever spanish package they offer, and all the soccer channels, of course.

johnw86

Reaction score
I've always had cable, but a friend of mine just switched from a dish back to cable...he moved to a new house and there's nowhere to put a dish that can be hidden, and he was pretty fed up with reception issues. On the other hand, I'm pretty fed up with my cable provider. Seems like both suck in mostly equal amounts.

faustian bargain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
directv with tivo.

they do have the spanish lang. package of course, but even the basic 'english' package has probably at least a dozen spanish channels (granted some of those are local to san francisco, but you're in LA, right?). just today i was watching futbol de la liga mexicano...

/andrew - needs more tv

jpeirpont

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Matadorpoeta
Do you have digital cable in L.A? It has all of the sports packages along with all of your local channels. It also contains a wide range of cable channel's 6 or so HBO's and so on.

Fabienne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
We have Dishnetwork, mainly for TV5, the Francophone channel. I'm thinking of getting a dish upgrade so I can get the German channel as well.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I have cable, don't pay for it, and never really watch any of it. I watch Sportscenter, occasionally some sort of history show, occasionally the travel channel, occasionally a local sports game, and possibly The Daily Show. I also have a real weakness for VH1 lately. The Surreal Life especially.

I watch maybe four hours of TV a week at the most. I mean, thats what DVD's are for.

Bradford

Current Events Moderator
Reaction score
I used to have Dish Network - and really wasn't impressed. The signal goes out when the wind blows too hard, or when it's really storming - which is exactly the time you want to be watching TV. Additionally, the satellite seems to take a long time to switch channels or too bring up the menu.

I have digital cable now - and it's great. Much faster - excellent channel selection. That's what I recommend.

Dakota rube

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I've got myself hooked on the cable jones. Basic only, because I refuse to put another box anywhere near my televisions...

The beauty of cable is my high-speed internet. It has turned two of my kids into horrible little mp3 thieves.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads