• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Which major shoe makers come without a metal shank?

Itsuo

Reaction score
Greetings all:

I'm involved in government work and must pass through a metal detector every morning. I used to wear shoes with a steel shank and they would set off the machine but the security would just swiftly wand me to make sure it was the shoes and let me pass. It was not ideal but it was workable. I am now finding that they require you to take your shoes off and put them through the machine TSA style. That is not a good option for me anymore.

I have entertained the idea of leaving shoes at work and just wearing a pair of non-metallic shanked shoes to work. I did try that years ago and found it annoying when it comes to shoe care and transporting shoes to and from work.

Now then so the question is which major shoe brands come without a metal shank? I know AE doesn't and Alden does but what about C&J, Churches, G.Cleverly RTW, AS, EG and others?

Also while it sounds unadvisable, does anyone know any options for replacing the metal shank in shoes?

Thank you in advance for you help.

(I did a search for this but a lot of the posts were dated or concerned the airport which for US fliers isn't as big of a deal because now all shoes must get scanned.)

Itsuo

Reaction score
Why don't you just stick with A-E under those circumstances?

It's a good point and to be honest it was my next thought, but then I realized how often I would be wearing them and I personally wasn't really attracted to most of the options in their collection.

That and I'm willing to pay more for something nicer with a great fit, though probably not up into the EG/JL/St.C thermosphere (even though I'm sure they're worth it for some).

Itsuo

Reaction score
From watching a video about Edward Green footwear assembly it looks like they don't use a metal shank in their soles and I've just heard back that Alfred Sargent uses a beech wood or similar wooden shank for those interested.

Still not sure about some of the others but I now have confirmation that AS don't.

Blackhood

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
To be honest, your best bet would be to copy your opening post into an email to all the companies that you mentioned. They have always been very helpful to me, and frankly if you're gonna drop $1,000 on shoes, I'd probably check with the manufacturer before going ahead anyway. They may even be able to accommodate you for this exact purpose (especially if they have any kind of contract supplying organizations that may need this).

Reevolving

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I have entertained the idea of leaving shoes at work and just wearing a pair of non-metallic shanked shoes to work.  I did try that years ago and found it annoying when it comes to shoe care and transporting shoes to and from work.  

I don't get what is so annoying.

You just leave the metal shoes at your desk.
You wear rubber soled shoes into the office.
You change shoes when you get to your desk.
Do do the reverse when its time to leave.

You never carry anything except the first day.
This thread is a non-issue.

Cary Grant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Xenon

Reaction score

I don't fly commercial and was wondering whether they supply you with disposible slippers  and seats to change your shoes.And do those TSA workers make sure the floor is ckear or vaccum the carpets frequently. It would be appalling to have to walk on a dirty floor.

You're kidding right? TSA workers can barely talk properly let alone read or write. When someone can't get a job at Walmarts or pumping gas they usually end up as a TSA agent.

Xenon

Reaction score

All of the rubber soled shoes I disassembled (about a dozen) had metal shanks. Shank type have absolutely nothing to do with sole type.

AlexE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

You're kidding right? TSA workers can barely talk properly let alone read or write. When someone can't get a job at Walmarts or pumping gas they usually end up as a TSA agent.

+1, but you forgot one important thing: they combine this lack of skills with rudeness and the ability to move slower than slug.

Itsuo

Reaction score
I don't fly commercial and was wondering whether they supply you with disposible slippers and seats to change your shoes.And do those TSA workers make sure the floor is ckear or vaccum the carpets frequently. It would be appalling to have to walk on a dirty floor.

In Japan they offered me slippers. Otherwise in the US they do not offer any footwear while you're in the machine. I had an unfortunate encounter recently when I wore suede loafers (sockless)
and when I took them off to go through the machine a it was just the bare floor and I picked up quite a bit of dirt on the bottom of my feet. It was unsavory to say the least. I do think at a few airports they at least have a carpet that you walk on, but certainly not all of them.

Well when I did this I left two pairs at work (black and burgundy). But the issue I had was that I had to coordinate when to take the shoes home to polish them etc. So those days I had to carry them with me or wear them home so either way I had carry a pair every week or two. Also one thing I failed to mention was that during the day when I met for lunches they would often be outside the office. So if that happened now, I would have to change shoes before lunch which means I have to be at my desk before lunch... Not to mention the metal detectors within some of the buildings I worked in. You might not mind all that dancing around swapping shoes but it was annoying for me.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads