1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Which car to get - Land Rover LR3 vs. MDX vs. Ford Explorer?

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by whusurdadi, Jan 25, 2010.

1. Big A

Big A Senior member

At different times I've had a 99 Discovery, 2003 Discovery, 2006 RR SC (SC=supercharged), 2010 RR SC, and recently bought a NAS Defender 110 that needs some work. I still have the 03 Discovery, 10 RR, and D110. If you follow the maintenance guidelines you have ZERO problems with landrovers. Shit breaks because dumbasses don't realize you HAVE TO (absolutely have to) do the services when you are supposed to . . .
    Fess up, you work for LR right? How does regular maintenance help with the myriad of electrical, compression, and suspension problems LR3 owners regularly report? I love Land Rovers - had a D90 for a number of years, but denying that they are, to be kind, "service intensive" is like denying that the sky is blue. Someone else mentioned the 4Runner. It's a new model this year, though it was released with little fanfare. I drove an FJ Cruiser for a while and loved it. The 4Runner is the FJ, minus the Tonka aesthetics.

2. CommercialDoc

CommercialDoc Senior member

I test drove the Q7 4.2 and found the interior to be very nice, the blindspots atrocious and the ride to be way too "bouncy". The handling was really mushy. I wanted to like it but came away disappointed.

I drove the X5 4.8 after it and loved it. It was everything the Q7 was not. The only downside I found was the small trunk/lack of third row seating - though they are offering a jump seat in the trunk in the 2010s.

3. edmorel

edmorel Senior member Dubiously Honored

Hey Ed, did you figure out the vibration issue? I'm wondering if it was the wheel or the tires...

Sorry about the threak derailment.

not yet, wife has been driving it and she does not drive fast enough to where it becomes an issue. changing tires this weekend, will see what happens.

Ed,

give us a summary of your weekend test-drive.

Did not get around to that one. Car will mostly be used by missus and me on weekends for hauling people/stuff. She really, really liked the Navigator though.

Fess up, you work for LR right?

How does regular maintenance help with the myriad of electrical, compression, and suspension problems LR3 owners regularly report?

I hate when people say that shit. "Did you do the maintenance?". I not only did all the scheduled stuff but kept going back there like an idiot even after the warranty was done and got everything, even oil changes, done at LR Paramus. Google LR Freelander problems and take a look at what pops up. Class action suits etc. The service dept. at LR Paramus was like a MMA cage fight every morning when we went in for service. Every bay had a car, a line of cars to be worked on and about 10 people fighting with the reps about the cars, loaners etc etc.

4. Mr.Pinchy

Mr.Pinchy Senior member

No, you're confusing help with halp. The UAW needs lots of halp.
    I'm sorry but what is halp? I looked it up and all I got was a bunch of kittens with funny quotes.
    The 4Runner is the FJ, minus the Tonka aesthetics.
    Couldn't agree more.

5. JayJay

JayJay Senior member

She really, really liked the Navigator though.

I bought one for my daily driver, but after a year, I realized that it wasn't for me and got rid of it. I like to drive cars and as a daily, it just didn't suit me well. Nice vehicle though, albeit a bit blingy.

6. Alias

Alias Senior member

I'm sorry but what is halp? I looked it up and all I got was a bunch of kittens with funny quotes.

Actually that's what halp really is. The UAW won't be getting much of anything else.

I actually like the Ford Flex. It's like a Coleman water cooler on wheels, and it's low enough to the ground to escape all pretense of going off-road.

I saw that Merc someone posted before, only the one I see is black and sits in a parking spot all the time. For some mysterious reason it is always spotless and clean.

7. leftover_salmon

leftover_salmon Senior member

MDX. My dad currently has the LR3 and used to own an MDX. While the LR3 is nicer, it's only 2 years old and already has gone to the dealer 3 times for electronics issues that make the car undriveable (literally). The MDX had 0 problems in five years.

8. andyl

andyl Well-Known Member

9. BrooklynHighpost

BrooklynHighpost Senior member

10. edmorel

edmorel Senior member Dubiously Honored

MDX. My dad currently has the LR3 and used to own an MDX. While the LR3 is nicer, it's only 2 years old and already has gone to the dealer 3 times for electronics issues that make the car undriveable (literally). The MDX had 0 problems in five years.

Sounds like one of the better LR3's.

11. marin

marin Senior member

I owned 2 LRs, and everything people say about the mechanical problems is unfortunately true. Plus, the money spent on repairs is followed closely behind by the money needed for gas.

I've also owned an 04 MDX and an 06 MDX -- not one problem in 100,000+ miles. Plenty of room for my 3 kids (including car seats) plus gear in the back, and the third row is helpful for the occasional extra passengers. My wife has her eye on the new 10 MDX because of the new braking system and adaptive CC. I'll be so upset if I have to upgrade [​IMG]

FWIW, I've driven the XC90 and it's fine. Friends seem to be happy with it. I happen to like the MDX more.

12. Bill Smith

Bill Smith Senior member