1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Which car to get - Land Rover LR3 vs. MDX vs. Ford Explorer?

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by whusurdadi, Jan 25, 2010.

1. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

Why do all your choices suck so bad?

Of the three the MDX is the least mediocre.

Ah, now I get you. You're just a dick in all car threads. [​IMG]

2. whusurdadi

whusurdadi Senior member

I'd go for the MDX out of the three you have listed. I haven't heard anything good about Land Rovers and Ford is, well...Ford. I'd also second the recommendation for an X5. Volvo's XC 90 is a good choice too. I have 3 friends who own XC 90s and have nothing but good things to say.

The X5 only comes as a 5 seater...

I just found out yesterday that the XC90 comes with a third bench, so I'm going to go test drive one over the weekend...

Anyone have any other ideas?

3. edmorel

edmorel Senior member Dubiously Honored

Do not, Do not, Do not, Do Not, Do Not, Do Not, Do not,Do not, Do not, Do not, Do Not, Do Not, Do Not, Do not get a Land Rover. Currently awaiting the death of my 3rd Rover. Using it as a station car, engine is shot and will die shortly. That was the least of the problems I've had with them. I like the Explorer and MDX, also look at the Mazda CX9, very good reviews and crash test ratings, good price also, should be cheaper than the others for a more recent model. I am in the same boat and was going to get a Cayenne, but really need the third row of seats so looking at 3 row SUV's.

4. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

I just found out yesterday that the XC90 comes with a third bench, so I'm going to go test drive one over the weekend...

My wife had an XC90, about a 2005 model year, on lease. She had the 5 cyl turbo, AWD. Loved the car, felt immensely safe, good kid mover (not that we have kids). However, it was a bit underpowered when driving up mountain passes. However, they moved to an eight cyl engine, and it seemed there were some service issues with that engine. All in all however, based on her experience, a great car.

5. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

Do not, Do not, Do not, Do Not, Do Not, Do Not, Do not,Do not, Do not, Do not, Do Not, Do Not, Do Not, Do not get a Land Rover. Currently awaiting the death of my 3rd Rover. Using it as a station car, engine is shot and will die shortly. That was the least of the problems I've had with them. I like the Explorer and MDX, also look at the Mazda CX9, very good reviews and crash test ratings, good price also, should be cheaper than the others for a more recent model. I am in the same boat and was going to get a Cayenne, but really need the third row of seats so looking at 3 row SUV's.

If you're looking at the Cayenne, and need a third row, might I suggest my mid-level SUV? [​IMG]

6. edmorel

If you're looking at the Cayenne, and need a third row, might I suggest my mid-level SUV? [​IMG]

I'll delete this a few minutes after I write this, but, I actually like the R better than the GL [​IMG]

7. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

I'll delete this a few minutes after I write this, but, I actually like the R better than the GL [​IMG]

Too late!

Did you drive 'em yet? The GL does not feel like a big vehicle. Almost as good handling as Mrs. Piob's ML. FWIW, she had a GLK for a service loaner, said it was underpowered.

8. JayJay

JayJay Senior member

NO!!!!!! The R is, well, hideous to look at. The GL is nice inside and out.

9. audiophilia

audiophilia Senior member

Four of my BMW guys have LRs. They have been complete, unmitigated disasters. In the shop more than out. A shame, because much of the lineage and tradition of LR is excellent The Explorer is total crap for other reasons. Interestingly, I enjoyed driving the Ford Escape.

Out of the three, I'd go MDX.

10. edmorel

The R is hideous, but nice on the inside. I like the old G wagon as I like the old LR Discovery, the exterior of the GL leaves me a bit cold. Plus, I am looking to transport young kids, muddy baseball equipment, warehouse club stuff etc etc, not sure I want to do that in a 80K car.

11. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

The R is hideous, but nice on the inside. I like the old G wagon as I like the old LR Discovery, the exterior of the GL leaves me a bit cold. Plus, I am looking to transport young kids, muddy baseball equipment, warehouse club stuff etc etc, not sure I want to do that in a 80K car.

I've been assured it's just 50k. [​IMG]

12. edmorel

I've been assured it's just 50k. [​IMG]

$50K + 30K worth of sausages (every threak comes back to Pio's sausage [​IMG] )

13. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

$50K + 30K worth of sausages (every threak comes back to Pio's sausage [​IMG] )

[​IMG]

14. EnglishGent

EnglishGent Senior member

We tested the GL because of the 3rd row and it's a pain for car seats, still looking at our options. Friends have an Escalade and the 3rd row is much more useful than the GL.

15. edmorel

We tested the GL because of the 3rd row and it's a pain for car seats, still looking at our options. Friends have an Escalade and the 3rd row is much more useful than the GL.

yes but the negative is, it's an Escalade.

16. EnglishGent

EnglishGent Senior member

yes but the negative is, it's an Escalade.

Very true and not something I'd be buying, but the seat setup is far more useful for 3 car seats.

17. Nataku

Nataku Senior member

T6 is great for fuel economy, and decent power. The V8 is a excellent and powerful engine though, if gas milage isn't a huge issue.

Off the top of my head, can't think of anything else other than the VW Toureg or the Infiniti FX. I haven't a clue if either offer a 3rd row to accomodate 2 more seats, though.

18. Nataku

Nataku Senior member

My wife had an XC90, about a 2005 model year, on lease. She had the 5 cyl turbo, AWD. Loved the car, felt immensely safe, good kid mover (not that we have kids). However, it was a bit underpowered when driving up mountain passes. However, they moved to an eight cyl engine, and it seemed there were some service issues with that engine. All in all however, based on her experience, a great car.

There is a T6 engine option too. Kind of the happy medium between the I5 and the V8. This seems to be a popular option, as I see many T6 XC 90s on the road.

19. lee_44106

lee_44106 Senior member

Anybody with any thoughts about GMC/chevy lines of Suv's?

20. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

There is a T6 engine option too. Kind of the happy medium between the I5 and the V8. This seems to be a popular option, as I see many T6 XC 90s on the road.

That's good to hear. Can't remember if that was available or not for her model year. Overall, the 5 cyl T was not bad, just noticed it on a few road trips. Have heard from a few owners of the newer eight though of the problems.