Which car to get - Land Rover LR3 vs. MDX vs. Ford Explorer?

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by whusurdadi, Jan 25, 2010.

1. whusurdadi

whusurdadi Senior member

My wife is expecting our third kid in April, and I need a 7 seater now (you can't fit 3 car seats in the back of a sedan since the carseats are so big)...

I plan on gettting a used (most probably a 2006-2008) with low mileage, and I test drove all 3...

Any thoughts?

I'm leaning toward the LR3 since I've always wanted a Land Rover...

2. hws

hws Senior member

My wife is expecting our third kid in April, and I need a 7 seater now (you can't fit 3 car seats in the back of a sedan since the carseats are so big)... I plan on gettting a used (most probably a 2006-2008) with low mileage, and I test drove all 3... Any thoughts? I'm leaning toward the LR3 since I've always wanted a Land Rover...
    Land Rover is a shit, I recommend you must not to buy this! Is better you must to consider other!

3. Harold falcon

Harold falcon Senior member

Did you check Consumer Reports vehicle reviews on these vehicles? Honestly, that's going to be your best source for real information about these choices. You'll never get a reasonable answer from the rest of the internet.

4. whusurdadi

whusurdadi Senior member

Did you check Consumer Reports vehicle reviews on these vehicles? Honestly, that's going to be your best source for real information about these choices. You'll never get a reasonable answer from the rest of the internet.

I have checked...just curious if anyone here has any experience with either...good and bad...

5. grundletaint

grundletaint Senior member

i love land rovers but prob won't ever own another one after all the shit my range rover had go wrong on a pretty constant basis.

ford my ass.

i guess the Motherly Driving Xperience is probably the safest bet out of the three. a buddy of mine had one and never had issues as far as i know.

6. Piobaire

Piobaire Not left of center?

Out of those three, MDX for sure, Rover second (buy the warp around extended warranty) and the Explorer last. I had an LR3 and it performed flawlessly. Still, I'd not trust having one without the warranty.

MDX is a very dependable vehicle, and the 2010 even looks decent.

7. DNW

DNW Senior member

Out of the three, the MDX is the most reliable and has the best resale value. If you get a Land Rover, you'll get to know your service manager very well.

8. JayJay

JayJay Senior member

I really like the looks and features of the LR and was admiring them last Sunday, but for reliability, the MDX would be the safer choice. Nevertheless, if it were me, I'd get the LR.

9. RustyRyan

RustyRyan Senior member

I have a 08 Land Rover and just had the whole backend replaced because of problem with the differential, under warranty fortunately. I agree you will get to know your service manager quickly, do not get a LR without an extended warranty. Having said that, i love it...

10. username79

username79 Senior member

Why do all your choices suck so bad?

Of the three the MDX is the least mediocre.

11. tc6

tc6 Senior member

I would go with the MDX without question.

Land Rover LR3 will offer the most features and be the most luxurious, but it is also insanely unreliable. You'll have sensors and electronic mishaps on a frequent basis.

Fords Explorers have generally become above average reliability wise, however, they're not the smoothest or the most refined out there.

Acura MDX won't have too much offroad capability(not that you would go offroading in most cases) but it is the most reliable, has great handling/power distribution and looks great.

However, if you could afford to run it(gas, main. costs) I would consider the Lexu GX470. It combines the positives of the LR3 and MDX, without any of the negatives from either.

12. Shikar

Shikar Senior member

The MDX, of the 3 choices you posted.

Regards.

13. imageWIS

imageWIS Senior member

Out of the three, the MDX is the most reliable and has the best resale value. If you get a Land Rover, you'll get to know your service manager very well.
    This ^^^. End threak. You should take a look at the X5, BMW has the best warranty maintenance / program of any car brand.

14. DNW

DNW Senior member

This ^^^. End threak.

You should take a look at the X5, BMW has the best warranty maintenance / program of any car brand.

He's not looking for a new one.

A used one is fine, but just keep an eye out on whether the maintenance has ended. I don't remember when, but BMW switched from a 3yr/36k to a 4yr/50k free maintenance program recently. And it'll likely be more expensive than the MDX for the same year model, all else being equal.

15. Nataku

Nataku Senior member

I'd go for the MDX out of the three you have listed. I haven't heard anything good about Land Rovers and Ford is, well...Ford. I'd also second the recommendation for an X5. Volvo's XC 90 is a good choice too. I have 3 friends who own XC 90s and have nothing but good things to say.