• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Where to find dress shirts with non-fused collar and cuffs?

jwoosoot3

Reaction score
Hello, I was just curious where one can find standard point/spread collar style cotton dress shirts with non-fused collars and cuffs in 2024? I came across Turnbull & Asser's website and right here it says they specifically use non-fused collars which is great I was just wondering if there are any other brands out there that also use non-fused collars? Thanks!

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hello, I was just curious where one can find standard point/spread collar style cotton dress shirts with non-fused collars and cuffs in 2024? I came across Turnbull & Asser's website and right here it says they specifically use non-fused collars which is great I was just wondering if there are any other brands out there that also use non-fused collars? Thanks!

There are multiple brands. Just from my closet, in addition to T & A there is Hilditch and Key,
Finamore Napoli, Battistoni, Borrelli and many more.

hpreston

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Drake's shirts are also non-fused (collars and cuffs)

vriche

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Proper Cloth has those options as well. Use code RICHE to get 10% off your first order.

Shirtmaven

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
There are multiple brands. Just from my closet, in addition to T & A there is Hilditch and Key,
Finamore Napoli, Battistoni, Borrelli and many more.
I would double check those italian brands. Most of them fuse collars and cuffs. Even the shirts with hand stitching.

Shirtmaven

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Most RTW shirts, and all non iron shirts have fused collars and cuffs as well as front placket. Fused interlining works better with automated sewing machines.
A sew in lining takes more skill.

Good luck with non fused collars using a standard commercial cleaner.

My shop rarely fuses cuffs.
Laundries often do not stretch the cuffs before placing on the pressing buck.
this causes ripples of fabric on the underside.

alkydrinker

Reaction score
Spier and Mackay’s custom shirts allow you to specify unfused. Some of their off the rack shirts might be unfused (not positive on that), but it will likely say in the product descriptions. I think they do unfused on their “ivy” ocbds?

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Unfused is a typical London thing. Charvet and NsM fuse, with good results. The late Alex Kabbaz was firm about the superiority of fusing when done correctly.

Shirtmaven

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Unfused is a typical London thing. Charvet and NsM fuse, with good results. The late Alex Kabbaz was firm about the superiority of fusing when done correctly.
Charvet does not top fuse. They patch fuse.
Which means they place a section of fusible to the front portion Of the collar lining.
Not fabric.

Alex kabbaz built his own fusing machine in the 1980s. At that time there were no fusing machines suitable for a smaller workroom.

Kabbaz's collars were heavily fused. His collar worked well with his clients' strong shouldered Fiorvanti suits.

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would double check those italian brands. Most of them fuse collars and cuffs. Even the shirts with hand stitching.
I defer to your expertise, but my Finamore's certainly don't feel hard
like some obviously fused shirts I've seen in shops. BTW, I probably asked you this
before, have you heard of Harry Harris custom shirts in NYC ? My Dad, who passed
in 1987, was a long time customer.

Shirtmaven

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I defer to your expertise, but my Finamore's certainly don't feel hard
like some obviously fused shirts I've seen in shops. BTW, I probably asked you this
before, have you heard of Harry Harris custom shirts in NYC ? My Dad, who passed
in 1987, was a long time customer.
Fusing can be soft, it just means the top layer of fabric is glue to the interlining.
Try to push the fabric to the edge of the collar. The fabric should move if not fused.
I think we had this conversation. Harry Harris was connected to the custom shop at some point.

Reaction score
I make shirts and don't use any fusing on the collar or cuffs. I don't think it's necessary if you have a collar stand the collar should sit well without fusing. All fusing loses it's strength over time usually.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Consider Sustainability When Purchasing Clothes?

• Always - Sustainability is a top priority in all my clothing purchases.

• Often - I frequently consider sustainability, but it isn't the main factor in my decisions.

• Rarely - I seldom consider sustainability when purchasing clothes.

• Never - Sustainability is not a factor I consider in my clothing choices.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Paul_L