• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Where do YOU buy your ties?

gregor

Reaction score
Hi,
Where does everyone buy their ties? I have no department stores/boutiques in my area with anything worth buying.
I use buy and sell but lately I haven't seen much that I like.
I don't use eBay for ties, should I ?

provide me with knowledge, wise SF.

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I really think the B&S is the best option. Pretty fair prices, generally sellers who have something to lose, and sellers with good taste.
Ebay to me always seemed more like a bunch of thrift shoppers trying to trick me into buying old crappy stuff with the occasional decent person.
plenty of reputable websites too with ok prices. Several forum affiliates who aren't cheap but do excellent work. Anyone from Sam Hober to Kent Wang to Charles Alexander, Howard Yount, etc..

intent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
B&S, Off-Fifth, and some good deals on Polo and Valentino at Marshalls.

WRAdvisor

Reaction score
I use B&S and eBay. Better ties on B&S, but sometimes you can find deals on ebay. Also find a random good tie at thrift/cosign shops and Marshalls/TJMaxx

Brogued

Reaction score
bought lots of ties from SF member idfnl on EBAY. He's got great stuff at low prices.

stu00a

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
OFF Fifth, NMLC, Polo Outlet, Barney's Outlet, and the B&S which has much more bargain.

Bird's One View

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
bow ties, the usual suspects. long ties, only Sam Hober.

glowell222

Reaction score
Lately I've been hitting The Tie Bar. http://www.thetiebar.com/

Originally Posted by gregor
Hi,
Where does everyone buy their ties? I have no department stores/boutiques in my area with anything worth buying.
I use buy and sell but lately I haven't seen much that I like.
I don't use eBay for ties, should I ?

provide me with knowledge, wise SF.

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Up until now mostly from B&S, but most are too wide and long for me so I'm soon going to switch to exclusively using Sam Hober (and maybe Drakes if I can afford it, but their minimum order of 3 ties for bespoke makes them almost prohibitively expensive).

OffTheRack

Reaction score
Hard to go wrong with Sam Hober if you don't have access to in store shopping. It seems like most areas have at least one older, established, traditional men's store though that carry a decent enough of selection of quality ties that you can find a few things earch season that you like--although most of these stores in smaller towns don't do much advertising or have websites, so you might want to ask around. Most staple american brands have ties available online (Polo RL, Brooks, Press, Paul Stuart, etc.), although I generally find that shopping for ties is most fun when the ties are right there in front of you and you just let things catch your eye.

If you're looking for luxury level ties, I've seen a lot of nice things on ebay, you just have to go through the trouble of actually doing some searches--try using terms like 7 fold in different permutations, or searches for brands like Borelli, Kiton, Zegna, RLPL, etc. Also, auctions are almost always better deals than items that you can only "buy it now."

MBreinin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
E-Bay, B&S, TJMaxx, Marshalls, BR, Steinmart, Saks......

inlandisland

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Brogued
bought lots of ties from SF member idfnl on EBAY. He's got great stuff at low prices.

Just ordered some ties from this seller. I will try to remember to report on quality when I get them... Usually I buy my ties frome Land's End and am totally satisfied.

forex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Drake's, Kent Wang, Ralph Lauren Purple Label. I haven't bought from the following but will do so in the near future: Sam Hober, Howard Yount and some Panta ties.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads