• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

When young athletes die

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by skyman
I don't think the intensity of the sport actually matters, it can come from something as mundane as walking or fishing. It is a horrible thing though. Go to your doctors and speak to them about it, they will probably give you an ECG. However there are certain traits such as bouts of dizziness, and heart palpatations that can give early warning. There is a charity in the UK can't rmember the name that is trying to raise awarness of the disease.

Sad part is you probably haven't got it if you are past you mid to early twenties.

Can, but intensity certainly comes into it.

This type of stuff, celiac disease, and coaches who think that extreme dehydration 'toughens up' athletes... It can be a bad combination. We really need to be more careful in youth athletics, high school sports ain't worth this.

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How are celiac disease, dehydration, and hypertrophic cardiomyopathy all pertinent to high school athletics?

NewYorkIslander

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
When I started getting serious about running I booked an appointment with my cardiologist. We did an ecco and electrocardiogram to see if I was predisposed to anything that would cause me to fall victim to this. Thankfully all was well, and my doctor told me that you'd either have to have an abnormally large heart through genetics, or through abnormally large amounts of cardio (usually the case with ultra marathon runners). But it does still worry me a bit, though not as much since I had the tests done.

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by why
How are celiac disease, dehydration, and hypertrophic cardiomyopathy all pertinent to high school athletics?

Celiac disease has been responsible for a fairly large number of deaths in college and high school athletes, usually in combination with coaches who make their players run till they drop with no water allowed, or other similar methods. Which are actually very common, though not as common as they used to be. And heart problems can kill in similar situations as well.

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Young athletes die of meningitis and car crashes too. I still don't understand how these pertain to sudden cardiac death and the effect overzealous coaching has on deaths caused by HCM.

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by why
Young athletes die of meningitis and car crashes too. I still don't understand how these pertain to sudden cardiac death and the effect overzealous coaching has on deaths caused by HCM.
Because those deaths can be prevented or at least reduced simply by telling coaches to tone it down a bit. People die from old age anyway, so why should we bother to prevent secondhand smoke?

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by cptjeff
Because those deaths can be prevented or at least reduced simply by telling coaches to tone it down a bit.

People die from old age anyway, so why should we bother to tell them to quit smoking?

I don't think you understand HCM or what I'm saying. HCM causes death by ventricular fibrillation, and it can just as easily happen to someone running to class as it can to someone running drills with their coach screaming at them. It occurs often in athletes because their hypertrophied ventricles disguise signs of HCM, but this has absolutely nothing to do with coaching practices. Many HCM sufferers fibrillate during low intensities.

Celiac disease and hypovolemic shock caused by dehydration have almost no pertinence at all to deaths caused by HCM. I don't understand why you're equating them. You might as well try to link deaths caused by drug overdoses to coaching practices because their athletes want to get high after a championship.

greg_atlanta

Reaction score
If he didn't run a marathon he may have never realized this problem. Marathons are much too intense for the majority of participants. The weepy, feel-good sense of accomplishment --usually brought on by a mid-life crisis -- gets way too much encouragement these days.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Staff online

Forum statistics