• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

When a western shirt makes you look like a plain old hick...

airportlobby

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As long as you aren't looking like Brooks and Dunn, looking like a hick isn't a bad thing. Hicks look good. Just avoid some of the more affected repro-y accessories.

naylor

Reaction score
I know where you're coming from in pairing a western shirt with dark denim. It looks good, but I've tried it and also felt that it came off a bit too cowboy-ish for my tastes. I tried pairing the shirt with some various colored cords for a different look that I liked better.

Eason

Bicurious Racist
Reaction score
I think you can wear a western shirt and not look like a douche hick as long as you avoid boots. Some CP/Lanvin/other Chuck knockoffs will keep it real.

Ludeykrus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd say that as long as you avoid 'sharp' boots, you're fine. I think clunky boots can work fine with a western.

seamless74

Reaction score
i for one love western shirts a great fitting western is hard to beat and women love it when guys wear um... in my opinion i love it when the weather is just right and i can wear um... only in the daytime however.

i like to go western, red wing inspired boots, or clarks look alright, and pair it with my LVC's or APC's that are kinda midrange faded.. i dont think anyone in their RIGHT mind would call me a hick, of course i top it all off with my jaxon marl tweed ivy cap so that pretty much stops that.

but yeah i think the shoes are the big deal, i have a killer pair of Lucchese boots that i never wear with the western shirts so there you go... check our the Red Wing Inspired on Zappos i think they look good with western shirts...

XenoX101

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As long as you're not wearing Mark Nason, you should be fine.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads