• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What's Your Go-to Polo Shirt?

hysteria

Reaction score
For those who have a few pairs of John Smedley polos, could you comment on sizing?
Their Modern Fit seems way too short. Standard fit seems ok, but still appears a tad short in the medium size.
I'm 5"7 and weigh 145bs. I wear small in almost everything, but it seems like I Need to take a Medium in the Standard Fit for JS.
Just want to double-check with others.

Jason12

Reaction score
Looks like every dimension of the shirt can be changed based on Yeossal's custom measurement function.

Have you tried Collaro's polo as well? Very similar product and price point being offered there as well.
thats good to hear as when I did my yeossal one about year ago only sleeve and length could change.

Haven't tried collaro but I imagine at their price point the fabric would be similar. You can also get different collars like normal spread collar. Their shirts are nice but I haven't tried the polos

Gustaf

Reaction score
Any Drumohr cotton polo owners in the house? I haven’t seen it mentioned on any of the 18 pages so far.

SirThopas

Reaction score
Any Drumohr cotton polo owners in the house? I haven’t seen it mentioned on any of the 18 pages so far.

I’m one. I like the Biscottino finish, though my wife says it makes me look like a golfer (a bad thing in her book). Another British heritage brand now rehomed in Italy!

hysteria

Reaction score
Has anyone tried The Weave Above?
They seem to be a relatively newer maker from Singapore with a small collection. They are offering very similar swan neck polos to Yeossal but almost half the price. Very curious about it.

Bradford

Current Events Moderator
Reaction score
Am I the only person who still prefers the classic Ralph Lauren Polo?

Bradford

Current Events Moderator
Reaction score
A lot of guys here (myself included) don't like the collar and the logo.
That's too bad. I can't stand the current flat collar look. They remind me of ugly 70's golf shirts 😂

josepidal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Has anyone tried The Weave Above?
They seem to be a relatively newer maker from Singapore with a small collection. They are offering very similar swan neck polos to Yeossal but almost half the price. Very curious about it.

A Singapore based MTM maker that sells long sleeved polos?

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
An update

Just tried a few options from CustomShirt1 (Kabbaz). Very fine make, from Zimmerli and the equivalent, but I find the collars just a hair small. I know they are normally unbottoned, but it is a reminder that there is little margin for error in the cut. Probably best under a blazer, where the luxury cloth, close fit, and otherwise well-cut collar will have a role.

Sunspel's range is quite comprehensive. The Sea Island (not the Riviera, which I find incorrectly shaped), pique, knit, linen, and toweling are all quite nice, if often expensive. Sea Island long sleeve is a pretty good find. The Jersey long-sleeve is featherweight and useful in concept, but I find the cuffs ride up ridiculously, especially under a jacket.

Smedley are very useful in Sea Island, both long and short sleeve. I like the more generous cuts (Isis and Finchley), but they have alternatives.

Now that I've traded down a body size in Lacoste, I find the long sleeves aren't quite as fabulous as before. Might go back up and just deal with the extra inch in the chest. You can order "bespoke" online, which appears to be made in France. Fabric may be lighter than in the past. It doesn't seem as bulletproof, anyway.

And for cheap, reliable stuff that fits-- long and short sleeve-- Land's End is still hard to beat.

As you were.

FlithyButler

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
can you elaborate? where do you get higher quality fabric at more sensible prices?

If you'll pardon the pun; it is immaterial.

---

IMHO Sea Island's supposed ultimate supremacy of quality beyond all else is at the core pretty much BS, and its image of being so is maintained by two elements;
a) exclusivity/rarity (only 0.0005% of annual global cotton production)
b) Marketing/info-omission (propaganda)

What is vital to grasp, and the thing you will no doubt never see advertised, is the fact that Sea Island (just the same as its Egyptian counterpart) is grown from the cotton Gossypium Barbadense.

It is this particular strain of the cotton plant which is unique in yielding the highly desirable Extra-Long Staple (ELS) fibers (i.e. 35mm+) which enables the production of a superlative final fabric.

90% of annual global clothing cotton production is grown from the strain Gossypium Hirsutum which produces an inferior quality fiber for clothing - but grows faster, enabling greater output and "efficiency", so Capitalism.

As such, the real crux of the matter is whether you believe the unique climatic growing conditions of the Caribbean are in any meaningful way superior to the unique climatic growing conditions of the Nile Delta - or is the huge price premium simply due to the minuscule production quantity and market-share (0.0005!) and limited landmass, together with its historical reputation, image and branding - all together ensuring a far greater asking price (a la. Champagne).

---

I have been wearing a Sunspel Sea Island piece for several years now, and while it has absolutely held up very well with frequent wear & washes (as it damn well should for the retail price), I have not found it meaningfully superior in any sense; either to Sunspel's own equivalent items made instead with Egyptian cotton, or my similar garments worn & washed as much from other brands marketed on the basis of their ELS Egyptian pedigree, and at a fraction of the price.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.8%

Forum statistics

Threads