• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What's Your Go-to Polo Shirt?

Jason12

Reaction score
Have either of you bought one?
My other concern is, it may not be something I can wear the hell out of. The material is quite delicate so the longevity is questionable, which would be disappointing for an item at this price.
have not bought rubato polo but their cashmere sweater and for polos I bought anthology which is pretty pricey as well

Mirage-

Reaction score
Nope, not my cup of tea this one. But it’s cotton so how delicate could it be? Either way, it should be apparent if you handle it in person.
The problem with cotton knit polos imho is that they generally advise hand washing and flat drying, or they are at risk of stretching out/deforming, which means hand washing the polo after every single wear generally.
Yes wool settings machine wash is probably fine but 1) do you even wash enough knits in summer? and 2) even if you did (let's say you bought 5 knit polos/t-shirts, like I did, though not from Rubato) then you'd need a lot of room for flat drying them all.
So unless one has the courage to ignore the care advice and hope for the best (and for such expensive clothes I don't dare it) I would consider them delicate indeed.

aristoi bcn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wear knitted sea island cotton polos from John Smedley pretty regularly during spring and summer and wash them at 30 degrees in the washing machine. Don’t hang them flat but in a hanger. This one is 8 years old and the shrinkage, if any, is pretty minimal

IMG_2380.jpeg

te0o

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The problem with cotton knit polos imho is that they generally advise hand washing and flat drying, or they are at risk of stretching out/deforming, which means hand washing the polo after every single wear generally.
Yes wool settings machine wash is probably fine but 1) do you even wash enough knits in summer? and 2) even if you did (let's say you bought 5 knit polos/t-shirts, like I did, though not from Rubato) then you'd need a lot of room for flat drying them all.
So unless one has the courage to ignore the care advice and hope for the best (and for such expensive clothes I don't dare it) I would consider them delicate indeed.
That kinda goes for all knitted polos, cotton or wool.

When I used to wear sea island cotton Smedleys, they've been fine in the washing machine. I've only washed them when they needed it, but certainly not after every single wear. Merino is better still in that regard. Steaming helps with odour.

Mirage-

Reaction score
That kinda goes for all knitted polos, cotton or wool.
It does, though in my personal experience cotton is actually more likely to stretch out than wool, and indeed wool needs less frequent washing. So in that sense you could say knit cotton ends up requiring more care than wool.
I've only washed them when they needed it, but certainly not after every single wear. Merino is better still in that regard. Steaming helps with odour.
Well, I envy you. In summer (and late spring/early fall often) I certainly have to wash them every wear (regardless of material), there's nothing that can withstand 35-40C high umidity weather...

I wear knitted sea island cotton polos from John Smedley pretty regularly during spring and summer and wash them at 30 degrees in the washing machine. Don’t hang them flat but in a hanger. This one is 8 years old and the shrinkage, if any, is pretty minimal

View attachment 1968377
I'm definitely not worried about shrinkage (just use 30C as you said, and ofc air dry), I was in fact talking about the opposite problem, i.e. stretching out. Though it seems to have held up well in that sense as well.

hysteria

Reaction score
Curious to know if anyone has tried either Yeossal or Collaro's one-piece polo shirts?
I wasn't into it in the past, but now I'm really intrigued by the style. They're both priced very similarly, so I'm wondering if anyone has first-hand experience with either and can comment on quality and durability?

Jason12

Reaction score
Curious to know if anyone has tried either Yeossal or Collaro's one-piece polo shirts?
I wasn't into it in the past, but now I'm really intrigued by the style. They're both priced very similarly, so I'm wondering if anyone has first-hand experience with either and can comment on quality and durability?
I have yeossal and it's very good value especially if you need adjustments to length or sleeve length. Collar is awesome and fabric is dry with a nicer handfeel than mainstream pique. It shrinks a bit even with handwash maybe 1 cm in length

Lol1000

Reaction score
Is anyone familiar with Lacoste's different Poloshirt lines? I ordered two 100% cotton ones from a retailer, but I am unsure which one to keep. I understand one is the Sport line, but it is also just cotton pique.

How do they differ? Quality? Stretch? Fit? Price is more or less the same.

Attachments

• image_67174401.JPG
    image_67174401.JPG
    343.6 KB · Views: 98
  • image_67185921.JPG
    image_67185921.JPG
    239.7 KB · Views: 104
  • image_67143169.JPG
    image_67143169.JPG
    408 KB · Views: 1,528
  • image_67197953.JPG
    image_67197953.JPG
    360.3 KB · Views: 4,187

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I have tried Lacoste again, with their bespoke models (classic cut, choices of trim, made in France). Not bad, but the body and sleeves are a bit short. Might be because I am one size lower than I used to be, so maybe I shall try the precious size. But I am less committed to them now.

On the other hand, I have tried most of the Sunspel lines, and except for the James Bond Riviera model, they are pretty good. Sea Island cotton, pique, linen, Terry cloth all fit well, even long sleeves where appropriate.

Tried and True

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like Loro Piana….. high quality, no discernible branding…..outside stealth markings on the buttons.

hysteria

Reaction score
I have yeossal and it's very good value especially if you need adjustments to length or sleeve length. Collar is awesome and fabric is dry with a nicer handfeel than mainstream pique. It shrinks a bit even with handwash maybe 1 cm in length

I'm guessing perhaps ~0.5cm shrinkage around chest or sleeves?
They seem to charge the same whether you order custom sizing or RTW standard sizing, so I was thinking that it's probably best to order custom sizing and then add an extra 0.5cm around chest, sleeves to account for shrinkage? Don't want to overcompensate either.
Not too concerned about length since it would always be tucked in, so might add an extra few cm there.

Jason12

Reaction score
I'm guessing perhaps ~0.5cm shrinkage around chest or sleeves?
They seem to charge the same whether you order custom sizing or RTW standard sizing, so I was thinking that it's probably best to order custom sizing and then add an extra 0.5cm around chest, sleeves to account for shrinkage? Don't want to overcompensate either.
Not too concerned about length since it would always be tucked in, so might add an extra few cm there.
i didn't notice much in the sleeves, chest maybe a bit but it can stretch a bit. I'm not sure they allow change to the chest size though as there are only length changing options. Thats for yeossal but collaro can change every measurement

hysteria

Reaction score
i didn't notice much in the sleeves, chest maybe a bit but it can stretch a bit. I'm not sure they allow change to the chest size though as there are only length changing options. Thats for yeossal but collaro can change every measurement

Looks like every dimension of the shirt can be changed based on Yeossal's custom measurement function.

Have you tried Collaro's polo as well? Very similar product and price point being offered there as well.

Lol1000

Reaction score
Is anyone familiar with Lacoste's different Poloshirt lines? I ordered two 100% cotton ones from a retailer, but I am unsure which one to keep. I understand one is the Sport line, but it is also just cotton pique.

How do they differ? Quality? Stretch? Fit? Price is more or less the same.

Nobody has a clue? Really?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads