• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants are now live. These cargos are based off vintage US Army BDU (Battle Dress Uniform) cargos. They're made of a premium 13.5-ounce Japanese twill that has been sulfur dyed for a vintage look. Every detail has been carried over from the inspiration and elevated. Available in two colorways, tundra and woodland. Please find them here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What's wrong with bow ties?

Master Squirrel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The only thing wrong with bow ties is the idea that there is something wrong with a bow tie. I my city, bow ties often identify you as a lawyer. (minus) but like anything how you wear it is the key. As far as being 'bow-tie guy" you will be if you wear one every day. I mean really? It is not like you have to wear one everyday. Or even most days. Like everything, it is in the way you use it. That being said, I do think they look good with a vest or jacket. Stay away from a milkman outfit of white shirt, Eisenhower jacket and bow tie.

P.S. Pee Wee Herman is actually dressed quite stylish.

woolymammoth

Reaction score

What's wrong with bow ties?

Nothing.

Last edited:

Bounder

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I have nothing against bow ties, though I don't personally wear them outside of black tie / white tie events. You may be thought of as slightly eccentric for wearing them by some, but that's really the only downside I can see. If you're a junior guy in your workplace and everyone else wears long ties or no tie at all, it may not be the best plan if you don't want to be known as "bow tie guy." Otherwise, go nuts. I'd stick to more conservative patterns and designs until you're used to wearing them.

Bow ties are definitely not conservative business dress.

This, mostly. Outside certain parts of the American South, bowties border on costume except for black tie.

It may be unfortunate, but that's the way it is. The same thing happened to hats.

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Other than on black or white tie occasions they are generally considered to be costume outside certain parts of the USA. Think of them as the preserve of eccentric professors and expensive doctors.

Saturdays

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nothing wrong with bowties. Safety is in black/white tie events where it is universally acceptable when done properly.

The Ivy / Preppy way is a little eccentric with emblematic and crested patterns, repp stripes etc.. which if done right is tasteful, and its not tough to pull off.

Then there is the cheesy/geeky Steve Urkel version where its just completely goofy and should be avoided.

Caustic Man

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
This, mostly. Outside certain parts of the American South, bowties border on costume except for black tie.

It may be unfortunate, but that's the way it is. The same thing happened to hats.

I disagree. Whether one sees it as a momentary fad, or a broader movement, bow ties are becoming more common and more accepted.

Makoto Chan

Reaction score
Many days I feel like wearing a bow tie, but then I ask myself if I really want the attention, and wouldn't a regular tie look better anyway, and so I put it back down. I'll tell you that there's nothing wrong with bow ties, but I would recommend that if you have to ask, then you probably shouldn't wear it. You're obviously free to do whatever you want.

Usually I see bow ties on fashionistas in their early 20's (come to think of it, that's who I was when I was wearing bow ties). There's nothing wrong with that, of course. Then there are men who pull off a bow tie with natural aplomb, and maybe you're one of them.

FillW

Reaction score
I was standing in line yesterday to get a sandwich and as I was getting ready to pay for it I noticed the guy behind me had on a yellow bowtie with black stripes and was wearing a black suit. He was an older guy probably in his sixties but looked good.
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

landshark

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A couple of good ways to start wearing bow ties are at church on the weekend and also dinner in the evening. Also going out partying/drinking can give a good opportunity as long as you keep it to classier places where people will probably be wearing at least jackets.

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They're a fairly normal sight here in DC, even in conservative settings. I personally try to work them in somewhat regularly, same pattern and color matching rules as a long tie.

BowTied

Reaction score
The only thing wrong with bow ties is the "faddishness" accompanying them these days, like guys wearing ridiculously small bow ties, poorly tied, with shirts that look as if they were slept in. I'm in bow ties daily, along with nice suits, mostly three-piece. Most that I wear are either 2.5" or 2.75" wide prior to tying. I tie them perfectly, typically at the collar of a heavily starched white shirt although I throw in powder blue or pale pink or other pastels with some regularity. I also wear them on Sundays for church as well as for evenings out.

CTLION

Reaction score

The only thing wrong with bow ties is the "faddishness" accompanying them these days, like guys wearing ridiculously small bow ties, poorly tied, with shirts that look as if they were slept in. I'm in bow ties daily, along with nice suits, mostly three-piece. Most that I wear are either 2.5" or 2.75" wide prior to tying. I tie them perfectly, typically at the collar of a heavily starched white shirt although I throw in powder blue or pale pink or other pastels with some regularity. I also wear them on Sundays for church as well as for evenings out.

This is a late entry to this old discussion, but one of my reps wears a bow tie with a suit everyday and he looks sharp because he does it the right way. I own three bow ties, one of which goes with a tux. I like wearing them though I rarely do. Unfortunately they draw attention and not necessarily in the best manner. That being said, I live in Florida now so perhaps I will break them out once a month and make it a fun day. Just not a board meeting day.

Shoe City Thinker

Reaction score
Nothing as long as you can rock it. You really have to have the bookish/nerdy personality (and career) to pull it off. If my alpha male boss tried it, would be laughable. If the tax accountant in the NYC office tried it, would rock it.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 105 36.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 106 36.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 37 12.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 47 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 42 14.6%

Forum statistics

Threads