1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

What's wrong with bow ties?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Chase H, Feb 24, 2013.

1. Caustic Man

Caustic Man Senior member

I disagree. Whether one sees it as a momentary fad, or a broader movement, bow ties are becoming more common and more accepted.

1 person likes this.
  2. Makoto Chan

Makoto Chan Senior member

Many days I feel like wearing a bow tie, but then I ask myself if I really want the attention, and wouldn't a regular tie look better anyway, and so I put it back down. I'll tell you that there's nothing wrong with bow ties, but I would recommend that if you have to ask, then you probably shouldn't wear it. You're obviously free to do whatever you want.

Usually I see bow ties on fashionistas in their early 20's (come to think of it, that's who I was when I was wearing bow ties). There's nothing wrong with that, of course. Then there are men who pull off a bow tie with natural aplomb, and maybe you're one of them.

3. FillW

FillW Senior member

I was standing in line yesterday to get a sandwich and as I was getting ready to pay for it I noticed the guy behind me had on a yellow bowtie with black stripes and was wearing a black suit. He was an older guy probably in his sixties but looked good. [​IMG]

4. landshark

landshark Senior member

A couple of good ways to start wearing bow ties are at church on the weekend and also dinner in the evening. Also going out partying/drinking can give a good opportunity as long as you keep it to classier places where people will probably be wearing at least jackets.

5. cptjeff

cptjeff Senior member

They're a fairly normal sight here in DC, even in conservative settings. I personally try to work them in somewhat regularly, same pattern and color matching rules as a long tie.

6. BowTied

BowTied New Member

The only thing wrong with bow ties is the "faddishness" accompanying them these days, like guys wearing ridiculously small bow ties, poorly tied, with shirts that look as if they were slept in. I'm in bow ties daily, along with nice suits, mostly three-piece. Most that I wear are either 2.5" or 2.75" wide prior to tying. I tie them perfectly, typically at the collar of a heavily starched white shirt although I throw in powder blue or pale pink or other pastels with some regularity. I also wear them on Sundays for church as well as for evenings out.

7. CTLION

CTLION Senior member

This is a late entry to this old discussion, but one of my reps wears a bow tie with a suit everyday and he looks sharp because he does it the right way. I own three bow ties, one of which goes with a tux. I like wearing them though I rarely do. Unfortunately they draw attention and not necessarily in the best manner. That being said, I live in Florida now so perhaps I will break them out once a month and make it a fun day. Just not a board meeting day.

8. Shoe City Thinker

Shoe City Thinker Senior member

Nothing as long as you can rock it. You really have to have the bookish/nerdy personality (and career) to pull it off. If my alpha male boss tried it, would be laughable. If the tax accountant in the NYC office tried it, would rock it.