• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What's the difference...what am I paying for?

Razele

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I Can't Tell

amd123

Reaction score
Originally Posted by shahanshah
i do believe this was discussed before. Well, $500 BoO pants not $275 shirts, but you can draw the same conclusions

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/04/29/fashion/29ROW.html

Another word comes to mind..."exclusivity." How does that fit into this puzzle?

Well I thank you for posting this, but most of the users probably will disregard it as more trolling.

But shahanshah...one really has to think

"The cost of creating those things has nothing to do with the price," said David A. Aaker, the vice chairman of Prophet, a brand consulting firm. "It is all about who else is wearing them, who designed them and who is selling them."

If elite designers are making BASIC essentials and charging anywhere from 200+ how the hell can we even tell different designers APART? I mean if EXCLUSIVITY is one of the reasons for the cost, and I KNOW people pay extra for jeans or clothes that don't have logos on them (Diors vs Nudies or Evisu) so how the **** can we even tell which one is which? I mean what's the point then? Just itching to burn a hole in your wallet?

Lynx_the_one

Reaction score
To take you seriously, the difference is in what it costs to make. JCPenneys is buying those shirts for about $15-$20 a piece. BOO is being sold to the boutique for about 125-130 a piece. That means that the shirt sold to penneys is costing $5(2.50 for fabric, 2.00 for labor, maybe .5 for marketing/shipping) to make in the middle of nowhere, while that shirt from BOO costs $60 to make in the usa ($30-40 for fabric, $20-30 for labor, $10 to market/ ship etc.)

Razele

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If your not trolling, which I'm 90% sure you are, why are you here?

It's a STYLE forum man, what did you expect?

Like going to a car / boat / travel forum and complaining about why the forum exists. "Why get a BMW?? What's the point?? It's all for show!"

amd123

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Razele

Like going to a car / boat / travel forum and complaining about why the forum exists. "Why get a BMW?? What's the point?? It's all for show!"

Again with the trolling, why do you guys use examples that have NO BASE in this argument?

Comparing BMWs to overpriced clothing, and the KEYWORD is BASIC clothing.
Also BMWs ARE worth their cost. Overpriced American GMC/FORD crap is NOT...What people want is competitively priced stuff, some car makers REALIZE this and produce results (the new Cadillac CTS V, it's the fastest sedan that's street legal and it's american and it's cheaper than most of the rival european sedans). However you do not find this in the world of fashion.

Do you guys remeber the Supreme Jacket that featured the New York skyline panaromic design on it???

If I saw something like that, with an INTERESTING design, I WOULD spend the cash on it. But a ******* 275 USD shirt that's only blue/white stripes I'd rather spend the money on some blow.

Seriously maybe you guys should read
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/04/29/fa...9ROW.html?_r=1

the shah

OG Yamamoto
Reaction score
Originally Posted by amd123
Well I thank you for posting this, but most of the users probably will disregard it as more trolling. But shahanshah...one really has to think “The cost of creating those things has nothing to do with the price,” said David A. Aaker, the vice chairman of Prophet, a brand consulting firm. “It is all about who else is wearing them, who designed them and who is selling them.” If elite designers are making BASIC essentials and charging anywhere from 200+ how the hell can we even tell different designers APART? I mean if EXCLUSIVITY is one of the reasons for the cost, and I KNOW people pay extra for jeans or clothes that don't have logos on them (Diors vs Nudies or Evisu) so how the **** can we even tell which one is which? I mean what's the point then? Just itching to burn a hole in your wallet?
I'd rather spend the money on some blow. Seriously
in nor particular order, regarding the cause of your coke-fueled aneurysm: there are tags on the insides that carry a wealth of information. what makes you think these purchases burn holes in the wallets of the forvm frequenters ? clues to discerning between brands include fit, material, particularities (to help you understand, think burbery check pattern, not a logo but recognizable. now imagine something not as hideous and more discrete), etc. if you spend $275 more on a shirt than a bloke who dropped $175, you're shirt is priced $100 more. Which you can tell him and make him feel bad about. Or keep to yourself and secretly smile about.

amd123

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Razele

And honestly, I'm not trolling, I'm just pissed off that people are willing to spend 275 dollars and argue on which basic shirt is better (the 175 wolf vs goat or the 275 Boo or Banana Republic or Brooks Brothers or Jcrew) a bit narcissistic?

amd123

Reaction score
Originally Posted by shahanshah
in nor particular order, regarding the cause of your aneurysm:

there are tags on the insides that carry a wealth of information.
what makes you think these purchases burn holes in the wallets of the forvm frequenters ?
clues to discerning between brands include fit, material, particularities (to help you understand, think burbery check pattern, not a logo but recognizable. now imagine something not as hideous and more discrete), etc.

Give an example? Please don't see something like the triple stiched selvage or the hidden rivets or the one brand whose logo is a small hole in their fabrics
facepalm.gif

I mean these are the kind of identifying details that CAN ONLY BE SEEN if you are holding and examining the clothes at eye level.

the shah

OG Yamamoto
Reaction score
i edited post to add more information

APK

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
OP seems to already have solidified his viewpoint, so I'm not sure how much more discussion this merits.

One thing I'll say in the OP's defense is that I didn't find the BoO shirt linked to be anything remarkable. At the end of the day, people are free to spend their income on what they want. I'm not in a position to go all in on my shirting. That means I have to reserve my "big" shirt purchases for when the shirt in question has something unique going for it (i.e pattern, color). I fill in the rest of my shirting needs with more affordable options.

Fluery

Reaction score
And honestly, I'm not trolling, I'm just pissed off that people are willing to spend 275 dollars and argue on which basic shirt is better (the 175 wolf vs goat or the 275 Boo or Banana Republic or Brooks Brothers or Jcrew) a bit narcissistic?

why does it bother you?

if you like $20 jcpenny shirts, great, save your money and be happy

Lynx_the_one

Reaction score
Also BMWs ARE worth their cost. Overpriced American GMC/FORD crap is NOT...

This is the heart of the argument. BOO is the BMW, just unbadged. That crap from penny's is the ford. While the BOO might be twice as much (like the BMW), it's worth it because it isn't crap.

Mountains

Reaction score
I would wager that the fabric used in that BoO shirt costs more than the entire JC Penny shirt.

APK

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Give an example? Please don't see something like the triple stiched selvage or the hidden rivets or the one brand whose logo is a small hole in their fabrics
facepalm.gif

I mean these are the kind of identifying details that CAN ONLY BE SEEN if you are holding and examining the clothes at eye level.

You're also under the impression that exclusivity is only confined in the garish branding and logo'ing done by most SW companies and mainstream lux brands. Those familiar with brands discussed here and over at SuFu are able to identify a lot of those pieces when they see them, even if said piece appears to be no different than something you'd buy at UO.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.8%

Forum statistics

Threads