• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What I've learned from Styleforum (or, a guide to not wasting money / avoid buyers remorse)

EliodA

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ If your aim is to get noticed by other people, better trade in your 4k SR suit for some flashy designer label ****....
I wear my tailored stuff because of the pleasure I get from it. That it makes no impression on the majority of people is completely irrelevant to me.

Last edited:

archetypal_yuppie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

That it makes no impression on the majority of people is completely irrelevant to me.

Prob pretty safe to call BS on this. A massive share of what makes good tailored stuff good is how it looks. So unless your only concern is looking in the mirror (which may be the case), you probably care how appear to people.

Anyway, regarding:

^ If your aim is to get noticed by other people, better trade in your 4k SR suit for some flashy designer label ****....

There is a difference between trying to get noticed and looking good. Former = flash, latter = when people see you, they like what they see. I was talking about the latter.

I agree you need loud crap for the former.

EliodA

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Prob pretty safe to call BS on this. A massive share of what makes good tailored stuff good is how it looks. So unless your only concern is looking in the mirror (which may be the case), you probably care how appear to people.

Anyway, regarding:
There is a difference between trying to get noticed and looking good. Former = flash, latter = when people see you, they like what they see. I was talking about the latter.

I agree you need loud crap for the former.

Please note that I said that I don't care about what the majority of people think, not all people. Maybe I dress to impress my fellow SF members ;)

coldsalmon

Reaction score
I frequently get random compliments on the street when I wear my fully canvased Phineas Cole charcoal suit, but hardly ever when I wear my half-canvassed Suitsupply. Even I don't know what makes my "best" suit better, but it really does look better, in fit and in fabric. I think that most people can actually see the difference between a good and bad fit/finish, even if they can't quantify it.

tabcollar

Reaction score
Satin has a sheen to it which can quickly become gaudy. I realize hating shiny ties is part of SF groupthink but also fits with a more general preference for aesthetic restraint that I think a lot of people tend to share here.

Shiny ties (yes, even satin) can look great when deployed carefully in a more festive/evening context. A little sheen really does go a long way though, and I generally prefer at least a little bit of surface interest. A slightly-shiny subtly-textured weave (solid repp, for example) to my mind accomplishes everything satin does with the added benefit of surface interest.

Adding to the problem is that there are hundreds of ugly, too-shiny satin ties for every tasteful one.

This ad popped up at the bottom of my screen, which made me think of your post. Interesting that BB is currently doing 7-fold satin ties for $175. But your points are well taken. From the pics, the ties aren't overly shiny, and the mouse-overs indicate some subtle surface interest.

As an aside, I notice they're 4-inch width. <Swoon> I can't wait for that width to become standard again.

The_Foxx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That could have something to do with the amazing cut and style of phineas cole clothing, too! I'm always in awe of this brand when I see it at the Madison ave store.

In other personal lessons learned...Adding Eidos Napoli clothing (especially shirts, for their collars and cut) to my short list of Greats, after taking a good look @ Bloomingdales last week. I think I like their shirts second only to Cipa, for the perfect higher collar and spread- next Bloomingdales gift card or applicable discount offer, def going to pick up a few things from this brand

I frequently get random compliments on the street when I wear my fully canvased Phineas Cole charcoal suit, but hardly ever when I wear my half-canvassed Suitsupply. Even I don't know what makes my "best" suit better, but it really does look better, in fit and in fabric. I think that most people can actually see the difference between a good and bad fit/finish, even if they can't quantify it.

unbelragazzo

Jewfro
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

That could have something to do with the amazing cut and style of phineas cole clothing, too! I'm always in awe of this brand when I see it at the Madison ave store.

In other personal lessons learned...Adding Eidos Napoli clothing (especially shirts, for their collars and cut) to my short list of Greats, after taking a good look @ Bloomingdales last week. I think I like their shirts second only to Cipa, for the perfect higher collar and spread- next Bloomingdales gift card or applicable discount offer, def going to pick up a few things from this brand

I'm sure @NickPollica will be happy to hear that.

aph999

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'll underscore the point Foxx made at the beginning about fit; while I do get compliments on my Kitons and Brionis for their fine fabrics, my far cheaper Bogliolis get compliments as well because they fit me so well. I also favor their lightweight, quarter-lined jackets. My Sartoria Partenopea suits also fit very well.

The sweet spot for me is a trim, lightweight Kiton with a 14 micron wool.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads