• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What shoes to wear with cuffed linen pants

user543538924

Reaction score
I have a pair of dark cuffed linen pants, but I really don't like any of the shoes that are traditionally worn with linen pants (e.g., loafers, espadrilles, chukkas, chelsea boots, boat shoes, etc.)—I'm not preppy and just can't bring myself to wear those. Or maybe I just have a thing against shoes with no/minimal laces.

Wondering if any of these shoes would be appropriate instead? Open to other suggestions too.
CleanShot 2023-07-28 at 18.03.54@2x.png

Last edited:

KOz

Reaction score
Derbies like the number 5 can work dependant on context. Go for suede for even more dressed down.

Not sure how chelsea boots and chukkas are preppy but ok.

KOz

Reaction score
Would any of the others work in a more casual context though? (or any other recommendation for that)?
You wanted something that can be used with a lot of outfit variations. I mentioned derbies and you discounted the other options based on your dislike. The sneakers listed, in my opinion, certainly won't extend to sports jackets.

user543538924

Reaction score
I didn't discount anything. All I said was I don't like wearing those types of shoes and was seeking alternatives.

And I said that a sports jacket would be one scenario that I would wear these pants with, not every scenario.

It can range anywhere from a nice t-shirt > camp collar shirt > button down > sports jacket

user543538924

Reaction score

Peak and Pine

Reaction score
Working on the assumption that linen pants mean warm weather, and adding cuffs moves them away from a total collapse into casualness, maybe consider a leather lace-up with woven detail. Like these below, mine, worn with cotton cuffed pants...

Screenshot_20220311-154536-01~2-01.jpeg

The woven aspect is for looks only, it does not actually let air through since they are lined on the inside. However, I have a pair that truly does let air in and out, these, the Allen Edmonds Straw Fut, as worn yesterday...

20230511_143755-01-01~2.jpeg

ladislav.jancik

Reaction score
I like these. Do you think they could work in a darker color too since the pants are dark are as well; or is white generally recommended?

Also, do you know where I can buy these in the US?

I prefer canvas tennis shoes in white in general, it is classic summery relaxed color. I would describe them as more casual option to white bucks or to Talbot oxford shoes in white calf (from Crown Northampton) which is another option you might consider.

TalbotOxfordWhiteCalfGUM.jpg

I also have navy/indigo version of Doek Oxford shoe that goes well with my navy pants, but perhaps less so with the pants you posted. Anyway they are small for you as you mentioned, so out of scope.

user543538924

Reaction score
Bummer, I would have gotten a pair if they were in size 12.

But you think white canvas shoes is the way to go with black linen pants (versus other shoe colors)?

If so, I think these from Moonstar + Shoes Like Pottery are similar.

CleanShot 2023-07-29 at 12.52.30@2x.png
CleanShot 2023-07-29 at 12.53.49@2x.png
s-l1600.jpg

maxalex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The basic question is whether one can wear sneakers with linen trousers. The short answer is yes—there is no Master List matching fabrics with shoe types. But sneakers will always look less smart than leather shoes or even espadrilles.

(The OP seeks to avoid “preppy” attire but I think he really means “smart.”)

It’s worth noting that only recently have cuffs come to signify formality, possibly due to the prevalence of denim as the definition of informal. But traditionally cuffs were more casual than uncuffed—which explains why tuxedos never have cuffed trousers.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 28 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads