• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Wearing black/dark colors in the summer: Looking for examples/advice

Domino23

Reaction score
I don’t have a lot of black in my wardrobe besides belts, shoes and ties. Last year I stumbled across this article on black in menswear:

A couple points stood out to me. The author mentions men used to dye summer suits black, he also has pics of black linen and seersucker suits. I really like the look, manages to make black look less austere and formal and it got me thinking.

I know the traditional palate for summer are light colors, light tones, pastels, etc and with the heat and humidity that’s logical. But if you had a wardrobe focusing on dark colors or even all black, how would you translate that into traditional menswear for the summer? Are there any lookbooks or clothing lines that focus on seersucker, linen, tropical weight wool, madras, fresco hopsack etc but in darker hues like black, charcoal, maroon or navy? Footwear wise it’s no problem, I’ve found plenty of black loafers in regular leather, suede, nubuck, etc. Same with lace ups . I realize this will probably have niche appeal but I’m curious what warm weather options are available in darker shades.

Club Soda

Reaction score
Summer fabrics in black seem common now but consider opting for a dark charcoal grey. Also You don't have to go all black, try a black short sleeve camp collar or polo with light khaki (stone) or light grey trousers. Some people can't see past color regardless of fabric weight so black will always look hot, finding some versatile shorts would be helpful too.

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There is nothing wrong with wearing black in the summer at night time, but I'd probably caution against it in the day as you'll look too somber. I'd also avoid the black suit, because quite simply, black suits make you look like you're going to a funeral or you're a member of the Secret Service. It's not a good look, although you can get away with it in certain contexts (like say, you're going to a kind of Gothy, but dressed up night club). You're better off going for a dark navy or dark charcoal for suits. I don't really see the utility of buying a black suit for its very limited usage.

As for wearing things like black dress shirts, black polos, etc, yeah, sure, go ahead: at night. If you are going for an "out on the town" kind of vibe, where you are doing are bar hopping, going to clubs, etc, then go straight ahead and wear something dark. Though you can also pair black really nicely with white for a nice negative space/contrast look. Of course, there are some men here who would tell me that it is terrible to ever wear a black dress shirt, and I'd agree in business contexts, but in terms of going out on the town and having some fun at night, dancing, partying, why not?

But if you are just rocking all black in the day time and you aren't Marilyn Manson going to the beach, you're going to look like a dork. In fact, Marilyn Manson going to the beach probably looks like a dork himself. Can you imagine that dude with a rubber ducky innertube and a snorkel?

Shirtmaven

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I wore a lot more black back in the 80s and 90s. I made myself a black linen suit in the early 90s. I hardly wore it. I have requests for black linen shirts. I try to say no..
Black linen looks cheap when it fades.
I have a black oxford cloth from Somelos that makes up nicely. Looks casual. Not a nightclub look..It doesn't shine when pressed. Black matte button.

stephen wouw

Reaction score
I do understand the thought of black being to formal, funeral and secret agent feel behind it. Yes a black ensemble with a white shirt and black tie is as formal as it can get.
But ‘urban’ interpretations playful details like patch pockets, and peak lapels on casual fabrics, a t-shirt rather than a white shirt breaks a lot the formal feel to it. Shoes does change the whole aesthetics as well. Black during the day? I’m not sure I would, but suits in summer in the northern hemisphere or summer in Australia is a stretch if you’re spending more than an hour outside.
Personally I wouldn’t wear too much black other than the occasional black tie events. The casual take on black suits isn’t for me. Although on some men it does look great. The urban take isn’t for me either. I assume if you’re on these forums you have a pretty good idea whether you will wear black or not.

On the seersucker and linen black suits, im not so keen on spending my money on that. I rather spent that money on a linen suit on a bold colour rather than on black.

jdgershbein

Reaction score
I used to be big into black. These days, not at all. I have just the accessories--a few pairs of black shoes, a black belt, and a couple of black eyeglass frames—no suits, jackets, trousers, or shirts. I'll consider my options if and when I get invited to a black-tie event.

My closet has exploded in shades of navy and brown as my wardrobe framework has shifted into earth-tone palettes. As for summer, I go light, pastel, and airy in blues, tans, greens, and the occasional soft gray. I like the engineering of today's linen shirts, especially when cut with high-grade cotton or silk.

Enfusia

Reaction score
Sure you CAN, but depending upon a few factors you may not want to.

I think a lot of it has to do with geographical location, actual daily temperature and night or day.

Examples: I'm not wearing black in the UAE. Wore a black shirt once, that was a mistake. Plus, you will stand out in the crowd.

England is going to afford you many more opportunities than Nevada in the summers of each.

Even in Nevada after 9pm a light breathable wool in black will do fine as you have no sunlight for it to absorb. So, technically it's just as hot or cold as any other fabric at that point.

Mr Tickle

Reaction score
I think black polos with tobacco or olive shorts or linen trousers is a strong summer look. Or black linen trousers with lighter (white/ecru) shirts or t-shirts.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads