• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Shirt for this bow tie?

L.R.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just picked up this narrow bow tie:

BowTie.jpg

BowTie2.jpg

Im wondering however, what shirt to wear it with? People have been telling me button down, so Ill go with that, and now theres this sale in the mens section:
http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=113818

Is there any shirt in particular I should get? I intend to wear this tie in more casual settings, and frankly, Im still not adept at picking colours. So if somone could help me decide, or offer alternative options. itd be appreciated.

Thanks;
L.R.

Nexus6

Reaction score
I dont think it matters if the shirt is button-down or not. If you go with a button-down, you'll have a lot of fiddling to do..adjusting tie then buttoning down the shirt collar. Although a Button-down will be more casual and approachable on appearance. As for colours... Look at the colors of the tie. It is a good starting point to choose the shirt colour that will compliment the tie. Example: White (school uniform look'), pink, magenta (pale purple), blue, red, salmon, even a lime green shirt will work You have not shown us the jacket you intend to wear, so if you can snap a picture of it, it will help us help you. You could even wear a shirt with pencil striping. (not thick stripes..it will 'fight' the tie) A shirt with ver pale narrow stripes may also work, as long as it does not over-power the tie. You may even toss on a vest or 'V' neck sweater over the shirt to give a college look. There are some members here who are the real bow-tie experts, so they'll probably cruise by here soon with better advice. I hope this info at least starts you looking at some possibilities. Best of luck
smile.gif

L.R.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks! Thats what advice I love in this forum, not only relevant for this particular situation, but the future as well. I actually dont have a jacket as of yet, Im still looking for that perfect navy blazer.... Im new to fashion, so im building it as I come across the pieces.

L.R.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
haha.... glad you never...there was one other guy that popped up in the last hour and doubled my cost.... Way more than I wanted to spend, but I this is the only Rugby bow tie I could find online (anywhere!)

TexasLidig8r

Reaction score
Steer clear of button downs. Whereas they are much more casual than spread collars, I just don't like the look with my bows.

If you're thinking of a navy blazer.. a pristine white shirt or a dark pink would look great.

L.R.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just want to thank everyone who helped, its my first major leap into the sartorial world, and not an easy one as I often get comments on the fact I wear leather shoes rather than sneakers to class....
And when I wear a tie, the remarks never end. It doesnt help that ive always had a semi-punk look, with my first 2 years of university consiting of black graphic t-shirts, jeans and chucks....
However, Ive got one last question, Is a blazer necessary when wearing a bow tie with jeans? Or can I get away without one? The main reason im asking is that im still looking for that perfect CHEAP navy blazer, (my spending money in college is basically limited to what I find on the streets it feels like....)

Anyway, Like I said, thanks again!

embowafa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nice bow tie. I've been searching the bay for a Rugby bow tie and that auction never came up. Damn ebay search function.

erdawe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JordanH.
i thought of soft pink or a light blue color. white could probably work as well.

This would work quite well, steer clear of button down collars IMO.

L.R.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by embowafa
Nice bow tie. I've been searching the bay for a Rugby bow tie and that auction never came up. Damn ebay search function.

It took quite a while too...In fact, I didnt even find it in the ebay search options. I googled it, and I got a link to the auction. The seller didnt have shipping to canada, so it was excluded from my ebay search results (Thats the only logical reason I could think of it not showing up)

Marcus Brody

Reaction score
Originally Posted by L.R.
However, Ive got one last question, Is a blazer necessary when wearing a bow tie with jeans? Or can I get away without one? The main reason im asking is that im still looking for that perfect CHEAP navy blazer, (my spending money in college is basically limited to what I find on the streets it feels like....)

Anyway, Like I said, thanks again!

I occasionally have worn bowties without a jacket. Usually i wear flatfront pants, and a vest or, a sweater (usually a cardigan) instead. I think it looks more casual and rather cool, though you need a bit of attitude to pull it off. From your description of your previous wardrobe, I think you'll be ok.

ysc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by L.R.
You could try it with a heavy (or even a not so heavy) cardigan if you didn't want to wear a blazer, a solid coloured darker one probably - navy would be easiest, echoing the blazer you are not wearing but you could go with others depending on the shirt. Edit: I see Marcus Brody got there before me, should read more carefully.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.8%

Forum statistics

Threads