• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Rambo learned at Bartending School today

b1os

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is the IBA recipe. What do you think of it?

4.0 cl Gin
2.0 cl Cherry Brandy
0.5 cl Cointreau
0.5 cl DOM Benedictine
1.0 cl Grenadine
8.0 cl Pineapple juice
3.0 cl Fresh lemon juice
1 dash Angostura Bitters

scarphe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

This is the IBA recipe. What do you think of it?

4.0 cl Gin
2.0 cl Cherry Brandy
0.5 cl Cointreau
0.5 cl DOM Benedictine
1.0 cl Grenadine
8.0 cl Pineapple juice
3.0 cl Fresh lemon juice
1 dash Angostura Bitters

better I am not sure about the lemon juice and but pineapple juice needs to be fresh as well. if you are going to use fresh lemon why not fresh pine apple juice?

and it does nto call for cherry brandy... it calls for Heering

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

and it does nto call for cherry brandy... it calls for Heering

Which is brandy-based and similar enough to cherry brandy to where you wouldn't notice the difference in a Sling.

Also fresh pineapple juice can be hard to come by.

scarphe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Which is brandy-based and similar enough to cherry brandy to where you wouldn't notice the difference in a Sling.

Also fresh pineapple juice can be hard to come by.

then why not use generic triple sec instead on cointreau

also heering is liqueur not a brandy are you suggesting i could use Kirsch as well?

and hw si fresh pinebapple juise hard to come by ? you buy pine cut off the parts that do not have juice use a blender and filter it. and wow you have fresh pineapple juice.

Last edited:

scarphe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
dp

Last edited:

b1os

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sure it's better to do all juices by yourself. But do you make your own mango juice, passion fruit juice, pear juice, peach juice, ... ? You could even make your own grenadine.
The thing is, everyone can squeeze a lemon or lime. Not everyone has a juicer at home (to get a good result, blending and filtering isn't enough.. or you filter it multiple times which needs some time..). Or wants to clean the whole thing for one small cocktail.
Besides that, you have to get a perfectly ripe fruit. Else it will taste not so good. The advantage of bought juices is that they can harvest the fruits riper than the ones we can buy (non-fly-ones) because the distance to the factory in general is far shorter than to your supermarket.
So, all in all, I'd say it's great if you make your own juice. But I haven't seen a lot recipes that list "fresh pineapple juice" or smthng like that yet. So imo this is nitpicking and no reason to classify it as bad. Whereas bought lime/lemon juice is a reason.

Last edited:

scarphe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Sure it's better to do all juices by yourself. But do you make your own mango juice, passion fruit juice, pear juice, peach juice, ... ? You could even make your own grenadine.
The thing is, everyone can squeeze a lemon or lime. Not everyone has a juicer at home (to get a good result, blending and filtering isn't enough.. or you filter it multiple times which needs some time..). Or wants to clean the whole thing for one small cocktail.

ma juicer maybe needed for apple pears etc but works perfrectly well for the pineapples. but i have juicer as well and yes i usually have my live in maid make all my juices.
it may be nitpicking but honeslty you taste a the difference when using fresh pineapple juice. so nit pickingit does affect the taste.

Last edited:

FLMountainMan

White Hispanic
Reaction score
Can the bartending snobs please quit Stitching up the thread? It's bartending school. There will be shortcuts. There are plenty of other threads devoted to how many hours you spend on your 5 ounce cocktail.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score

Can the bartending snobs please quit Stitching up the thread? It's bartending school. There will be shortcuts. There are plenty of other threads devoted to how many hours you spend on your 5 ounce cocktail.

Shut your mouth or I'll *******.

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Sorry for the lack of updates guys. I'm currently without internet and going through a bit of a rough stretch so I'm not able to provide any updates at the moment. Once things settle down I'll continue spreading the wealth. I've been taking notes and class descriptions so that I can properly convey the materials back to you.

JohnGalt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Am I the only one who thought that a custom mold for an ice the ball that size could be made and then simply run it unter cool water to smooth it. It seems like it would accomplish the same thing in considerably less work.

Yes I know the showmanship and ect would be lost, but for someone wanting the same at home this seems like it would make sense.

I had one that maker's mark had sent me - it was recently thrown out to make room for baby teethers

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads