• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Percent of Your Monthly Salary do you Spend on Clothing?

Nicola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Per month? Hell if I know. I either buy things I really need or things that are good value. I'm at an age I don't NEED new stuff but only need to replace/upgrade things.

Most months I buy close to nothing. Next month the local outlet is having it's summer loyal customer sale. So July will be expensive -)

furo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by teddieriley
http://www.styleforum.net/showthread...ght=percentage

thanks for pointing out that thread. but that was in 2006 when the economy was booming of sorts...

the distinction here, though, is a "monthly" percentage spent on clothes AFTER your taxes have been stolen from your paycheck... yah yah some folks just can't calculate that ... but for guys like me, there's always a "monthly budget" and clothes is only one item on it!

onix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I tried to calculate mine, but how exactly can I divide by zero?

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Used to be 50% in purchases and diverse iinterest repayments but my wage package is most likely lower than most Sfers...
I'm trying to go down to the 25% mark ...

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
P.s : I also do not drink ,smoke ,drive a car or going regurarly out because of the nature of my job working night shifts ,bank holidays and so...
It was needed to understand the real nature of that figure..

blackbowtie

Reaction score
I'm one of those people who don't keep track, but for the last I would say that it can go up to as high as 20% of my monthly pay, especially if there are sales going on or if one of the travelling tailors is visiting. I've just started work again after grad school and am in the midst of rebuilding my wardrobe. But absent those factors, I cannot imagine spending more than 5% of my pay a month on clothes, if not less.

Spending 1% of your pay on clothes on a monthly basis is a commendable target. It is either a tribute to your discipline; your already extensive wardrobe; or your high salary. On this latter point, I would imagine that for many people - especially the young ones - it would be difficult to get quality stuff with just 1% of their monthly salary to go on.

Cary Grant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
100%.

- B

Small-timer.

Last month it was about 210%
facepalm.gif

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Vox ,are you feeding yourself from some Sf food coupons?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads