What music are you listening to lately?

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by Artisan Fan, Oct 1, 2007.

1. Neo_Version 7

Neo_Version 7 Senior member

[​IMG]

2. Thomas

Thomas Senior member

I always sit and wonder to myself, while listening to them, why they aren't massively famous. Did they have a shitty publicist? Did one of them get caught screwing farm animals? Might that have helped? Why aren't there Wire T-shirts at Hot Topic right next to The Clash @Budokan retro distressed Tees?

hmmm, might have to check them out then.

At the moment: Fugazi - The Argument. Coming around on the back half of the record, the less straightforward stuff.

3. mordecai

mordecai Immoderator

I always sit and wonder to myself, while listening to them, why they aren't massively famous. Did they have a shitty publicist? Did one of them get caught screwing farm animals? Might that have helped? Why aren't there Wire T-shirts at Hot Topic right next to The Clash @Budokan retro distressed Tees?
    it's because they named their best and catchiest song "Map Ref. 41 °N 93° W "

4. Tokyo Slim

Tokyo Slim In Time Out

5. estlincs

estlincs Member

Oh man, i love Wire's Pink Flag, shit is great.

Lately:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. aphextwin07

aphextwin07 Senior member

^ +1 on the Black Star album, definitely a classic.

[​IMG]
    IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

[​IMG]
    IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

7. Nouveau Pauvre

Nouveau Pauvre Senior member

Stars of the Lid - which I only just now realized is awesome if you play it REALLY LOUD.

Earth
    oOoOO

8. aphextwin07

aphextwin07 Senior member

Good stuff. I just listened to one of their albums over the weekend. It's in the vein of Neon Indian and Washed Out.

Washed Out is amazing, Crystal Castles on the other hand.... definitely the most overrated act of 2010 and some of the most boring and downright awful electronic music i've ever heard. I don't think the two are very similar either. if you like Washed Out you might check out Toro Y Moi if you haven't already.

9. mordecai

mordecai Immoderator

Shit dude. They just like being specific. http://maps.google.com/maps?q=41+N+9...0.047782&hl=en
    huh, always wondered where that actually was. Ever heard the MBV cover of the song? it's nice
    Stars of the Lid - which I only just know realized is awesome if you play it REALLY LOUD. Earth oOoOO
    the Earth covers album is great listening when driving through israel.

10. Tokyo Slim

Tokyo Slim In Time Out

huh, always wondered where that actually was. Ever heard the MBV cover of the song? it's nice
    MBV? I hope that if I translated that properly, you don't think I listen to that crap...

11. UrbanComposition

UrbanComposition Senior member

My Bloody Valentine. Loveless. Get it.

12. mordecai

mordecai Immoderator

MBV? I hope that if I translated that properly, you don't think I listen to that crap...

you hate it, the shoegazer?

13. Tokyo Slim

Tokyo Slim In Time Out

you hate it, the shoegazer?
    I may be mentally confusing them with someone else. Hold please. Edit: Sorry. My brain thought you were talking about My Chemical Romance even though the letters are different. I'm a bit busy at work today. Please excuse me. MCR sucks balls. Anyways. My Bloody Valentine is ok. I'm not super into them though. Have Loveless. Not something I listen to a lot. I do like some of Kevin Shield's solo stuff though.

14. UrbanComposition

UrbanComposition Senior member

15. mordecai

mordecai Immoderator

I will add that Slowdive > MBV.
    lol, no, although for what it's worth they (slowdive) agree with you. slowdive had some great songs on souvlaki but were otherwise not much better than a talk talk and mbv rip off band. i believe they also used the droning effects that those two groups explored in a superficial way, rather than using it to experiment. their pop sound sound came from synth instead of tape loops. when they started messing with loops it was on a computer, it produced Pygmalion (yawn), whereas Kevin Shields was able to coax Isn't Anything and Loveless out of tapes.