What music are you listening to lately?

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by Artisan Fan, Oct 1, 2007.

1. NewYorkIslander

NewYorkIslander Affiliate Vendor

Been playing The King IS Dead since I got it

2. UrbanComposition

UrbanComposition Senior member

^ from the Decemberists? The are definitely talented, even if I'm not that into them. Nice guys, smart music.

@mharwitt - technically & sonically, MBV is more talented. But I like Neil Halstead's voice way better, plus Mojave 3 is just so dreamy.

3. aphextwin07

aphextwin07 Senior member

Been playing The King IS Dead since I got it

obligatory AWS mention since that should be the first and only thing that comes to mind when you hear "The King Is Dead", not the Decemberists or whatever!

IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

4. matt22616

matt22616 Senior member

Okay so I just digested Ghostland Observatory for the first time. From what I can tell so far, good but not anything to write home about. They do rage, however. Hard. And there's something to be said for that in this day and age. So, probably going to hit up a concert in a monthish. Can any of this thread's minds help me w/ some recs for similar but better artists? I also just got discovered the RA Podcast, which is pretty cool. [​IMG]

5. L'Incandescent

L'Incandescent Senior member

[​IMG]

6. shootspeed

shootspeed Senior member

in a drive like jehu mood at the moment:

IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

7. M0N0GRAM

M0N0GRAM Member

8. estlincs

estlincs Member

in a drive like jehu mood at the moment:

nice call on the DLJ!

9. Southlondongent

Southlondongent Senior member

I will add that Slowdive > MBV.

lol, no, although for what it's worth they (slowdive) agree with you. slowdive had some great songs on souvlaki but were otherwise not much better than a talk talk and mbv rip off band. i believe they also used the droning effects that those two groups explored in a superficial way, rather than using it to experiment. their pop sound sound came from synth instead of tape loops. when they started messing with loops it was on a computer, it produced Pygmalion (yawn), whereas Kevin Shields was able to coax Isn't Anything and Loveless out of tapes.

[​IMG] Well that takes me back to the late '80s and also bands like Spacemen 3 & Loop in addition to MBV - later the 2nd wave 'shoegazers' such as Slowdive, Chapterhouse, the Darkside, early Ride and even Blur - used to see these at the Camden Falcon, Islington Powerhaus, New Cross Venue etc...

Surprisingly, in 2009 Kevin Shields recorded a track with Paul Weller '7 + 3 Is The Striker's Name , apparantly he was/is a big Jam fan.

10. Biggskip

Biggskip Senior member

Teen Dream and Devotion by Beach House

Love them both.

11. mordecai

mordecai Immoderator

Anyways. My Bloody Valentine is ok. I'm not super into them though. Have Loveless. Not something I listen to a lot. I do like some of Kevin Shield's solo stuff though.
    it isn't easy to listen to them often. you should listen to their cover of map ref though. it's fun.

12. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

Teen Dream and Devotion by Beach House Love them both.
    Is Devotion older or newer than TD? I rather enjoyed TD for what it was. Today's listening: [​IMG] This puts any of that American female pop shit to shame.

13. Biscotti

Biscotti Senior member

[​IMG]

I love this.

14. cretaceous_cretin

cretaceous_cretin Senior member

Mostly Do Make Say Think and Tom Waits.

I'll second Tom Waits - Small Change. Great album - earthy, with a side order of humor, and he is an excellent story teller.

15. Aaron01

Aaron01 Senior member