• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Movies Are You Watching Lately

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score

There's this great cinema in Berlin that shows pretty much everything non-dubbed and non-subbed. Unfortunately, they always show the 3D version if available. I think I'll also give it a try, but generally I'm no fan at all of 3D. It adds something in, as said above, slow-paced sequences. Snowfall/rain can also look stunning. But once there are quick cuts and quick movements, it just looks wrong. And when they begin to 3D-ify old videos, like they did with some old Wall Street videos in The Great Gatsby, it just looks ridiculous.

I opted for 2D for Gatsby (which was Ok, not great but not terrible). I'm pretty sure I would have found the 3D stuff intrusive and distracting (in a film that already has a few other intrusive, distracting gimmicks*). In 2D, there were a few moments of "oh, that shot clearly was set up that way to cater to 3D", but on the whole it was fine from that perspective.

I'm not a big fan of unnecessary framing devices and reliance on narrative voice-overs, both of which the movie uses as crutches.

b1os

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Quite honestly, I think the movie failed. Really, I wouldn't know how to recreate the intenseness of the novel in 120 minutes of motion picture, but the plot is extremely uncreative. It basically just showed the main events of the novel, mostly 1:1 as in the novel (including the dialogues), and connected them by a narrative voice-over. Disappointing.
Did it also bug you that Gatsby's suit and hair was pretty much dry hardly a minute after it was soaking wet?

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i liked the one with robert redford. never read the book.

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score

Quite honestly, I think the movie failed. Really, I wouldn't know how to recreate the intenseness of the novel in 120 minutes of motion picture, but the plot is extremely uncreative. It basically just showed the main events of the novel, mostly 1:1 as in the novel (including the dialogues), and connected them by a narrative voice-over. Disappointing.
Did it also bug you that Gatsby's suit and hair was pretty much dry hardly a minute after it was soaking wet?

I think that's fair. I went in with pretty low expectations, which I helped temper my reaction. I didn't particularly notice the insta-drying thing, but there were certainly a number of occasions when the film's slavery to DiCaprio's physical attractiveness as a visual reference point hamstrung it. I thought his performance was OK, but the way the film was put together put him in a pretty bad position. I also wasn't crazy about (and my girlfriend absolutely hated) the recurring words-on-the-screen thing. That and the general writing-in-the-sanitarium framing device (as well as the voice-over, which as I mentioned is a pet peeve) came off as a really forced effort to show they were "honoring" the novel's brilliant prose despite being wholly incapable of replicating its magic. I know bupkis about film-making, but it seems to me they would have been better off just owning the fact that movie would have to be a different kind of animal and trying to make something that worked better on its own terms.

i liked the one with robert redford. never read the book.

I recommend the book. The craftsmanship of the writing is really great. Although I have not read it in years and am probably due for a re-read.

Last edited:

b1os

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I think that's fair. I went in with pretty low expectations, which I helped temper my reaction. I didn't particularly notice the insta-drying thing, but there were certainly a number of occasions when the film's slavery to DiCaprio's physical attractiveness as a visual reference point hamstrung it. I thought his performance was OK, but the way the film was put together put him in a pretty bad position. I also wasn't crazy about (and my girlfriend absolutely hated) the recurring words-on-the-screen thing. That and the general writing-in-the-sanitarium framing device (as well as the voice-over, which as I mentioned is a pet peeve) came off as a really forced effort to show they were "honoring" the novel's brilliant prose despite being wholly incapable of replicating its magic. I know bupkis about film-making, but it seems to me they would have been better off just owning the fact that movie would have to be a different kind of animal and trying to make something that worked better on its own terms.

Agreed. I think it's one of those novels where a 1:1 adaption to a movie doesn't work out.

And yes, the novel is fantastic. It's also "quite" short, so you'll be through it in a handful of hours.

Last edited:

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i will consider reading it. it better be good.

b1os

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Consider? Dude. There's nothing to consider, unless your mind works in false ways.

Last edited:

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
my mind works in many odd ways. but no false ways.

b1os

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So, I decided to watch Iron Man 3 today. The 3D didn't bug me as much as expected, but I certainly could have lived without it.

The movie is an above-average entertaining movie. A few laughs, action, definitely satisfies the little boy in each of us. The end was too cliché, but whatever.

Hampton

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just saw the great gatsby on cinema. Absolutely loved it, one of the best movies I have seen this year. That and Django for sure. Saw it in 3D, so great!

A movie everyone needs to see.

Last edited:

b1os

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Just saw the great gatsby on cinema. Absolutely loved it, one of the best movies I have seen this year. That and Django for sure. Saw it in 3D, so great!

A movie everyone needs to see.

What did you like about it that much? Have you read the novel?

Hampton

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What did you like about it that much? Have you read the novel?
I like the effects and the details in the movie. I look at very small things, just like the movie Brideshead Revisited.

The acting is great, top level. The music is maybe a 50 % from my part, but in the same way I think it's cool to bring in modern music in to a ''old style'' movie.

A movie you must see :) you won't be disappointed

Last edited:

b1os

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I like the effects and the details in the movie. I look at very small things, just like the movie brideshead revisited. The acting is great, top level. The music is maybe a 50 % from my part, but in the same way I think it's cool to bring in modern music in to a ''old style'' movie. A movie you must see :) you won't be disappointed
Ok. See above, I've seen it and wasn't convinced. But tastes differ and I was genuinely interested in what aspects you enjoyed, FWIW.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

The movie is an above-average entertaining movie. A few laughs, action, definitely satisfies the little boy in each of us.

that is exactly what i expect it to do. fun entertainment. nothing more nothing less. hope to get to see it tomorrow.

mktitsworth

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Recent viewings:

The Andromeda Strain
The Man Who Shot Liberty Valence
Harvey
Becket
Vertigo
Raiders of the Lost Ark
Dr. Strangelove

My wife is doing a 101 tasks in 1001 days thing from Tumblr, and one of them is to watch ten "classic" movies from before 1980. On the to watch list are also The Seven Year Itch, Casablanca, and Breakfast at Tiffany's.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Staff online

Forum statistics