What Movies Are You Watching Lately

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by edinatlanta, Nov 29, 2010.

1. gort

gort Senior member

Last Stand with Arnold Schwarzenegger: cheesy but nice little nostalgia for arnold one liners. Movie was basically an ad for Chevy, though. "The ZR1 is faster than any helicopter!"

The Hunger Games - not bad. I was kind of distracted while watching it though.

2. JLibourel

JLibourel Senior member

Saw "The Reluctant Fundamentalist" last night--poignant and thought-provoking. My wife and I enjoyed it very much.

3. Hampton

Hampton Senior member

4. b1os

b1os Senior member

The Great Gatsby. If compared with the novel, it's disappointing. I don't particularly enjoy the way the story is told. This partially has to do with stupid 3D, which is terrible in fast-paced but decent in slow-paced sequences. Anyway, the movie is definitely some sort of spectacle and I enjoy the cast of di Caprio and Tom but overall I'm not convinced. Bummer. Also, the music killed the atmosphere.

Not technically a movie, but I also saw James Graham's play This House broadcasted live to the cinema. I'm not much of a theater guy, and I've probably only seen a handful of plays so far, moreover I'm not very familiar with the background story, but nonetheless This House seemed extremely well executed. I enjoyed it a lot. The atmosphere (broadcasting) was very good, great direction etc. I'll try to grab a ticket for The Audience in the mid of June even though most tickets are already sold out.

5. b1os

b1os Senior member

I've read the novel in highschool. Have you? Can you compare? I don't really remember it, so I'll have to reread it before I'll go watch the movie.

6. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Senior member

Cross-post from the WAYRN thread. I really enjoyed this slightly manic mini-lecture on The Great Gatsby:
    [VIDEO][/VIDEO]

7. b1os

b1os Senior member

Have you seen Firefly or Chuck?

Told you.

Last edited: May 16, 2013

8. b1os

b1os Senior member

Thanks for the video. I enjoyed it a lot.

9. MyOtherLife

MyOtherLife Senior member

Thank you J. I'll check into this one.

10. MyOtherLife

MyOtherLife Senior member

Heart-stopping! Damn. This was great! Thank you Lefty.

Last edited: May 16, 2013

11. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

ha! thanks again! i knew someone here rec'd it, but i could not remember who. thanks for reminding me. you are owed double credit.

12. b1os

b1os Senior member

BTW, is Iron Man 3 in 3D as bad as I think it is? I've seen the trailer for the new Wolverine and the action sequences were horryfying. I mean, if it's already annoying in the fast-paced sequences in The Great Gatsby, how can it work in a more dedicated action movie?

13. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

my brother said he enjoyed it a lot. a buddy said he didnt. i guess it will be a love it or hate it thing. i hope to see it sunday.

14. Gradstudent78

Gradstudent78 Senior member

I liked the non-3D version and I haven't heard any reviews to make me want to see it in 3D (nothing to suggest it adds anything)

15. b1os

b1os Senior member

There's this great cinema in Berlin that shows pretty much everything non-dubbed and non-subbed. Unfortunately, they always show the 3D version if available. I think I'll also give it a try, but generally I'm no fan at all of 3D. It adds something in, as said above, slow-paced sequences. Snowfall/rain can also look stunning. But once there are quick cuts and quick movements, it just looks wrong. And when they begin to 3D-ify old videos, like they did with some old Wall Street videos in The Great Gatsby, it just looks ridiculous.