• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Movies Are You Watching Lately

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
Texas.

He looks like a Cletus or Randy Roo from around here; you know, the kind of guy bent over an open engine saying, “You know that even if someone dies in a motorcycle accident but has Covid, they mark it down as a Covid death?”

And you’re like, “Uh-huh. Sure Randy, sure…” while slowly backing away.
Correct. Now move him to south of France and tell him to be a broke private investigator trying to free his daughter and you've got yourself a movie. Insert Culture Clash set pieces to taste.

Geoffrey Firmin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Watched Paprika this weekend on The Criterion Channel. What a fantastic and visually stunning movie.
1631559130279.png

noob in 89

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
1631599883820.jpeg

1994’s NO ESCAPE…

Things are pretty crappy in the distant future world of 2022, where mega-max prisons are run by corporations. For profit! (Yeah, right…).

They drop the handsomest prisoners into an island paradise where instead of learning to surf, the men kill each other, form gangs and steal food from the hippies just up the creek. (So basically, it’s Bachelor in Paradise, sans tiddies.)

Ray Liotta is a lethal, but good-hearted tough guy who gets thrown in the mix just when two island factions are at the brink of war. Throughout the film, he wears a dope fisherman sweater, befriends Matt Dillon’s brother, gives halting glances, and dispatches baddies with an enviable panache.

I was surprised at how well this one holds up. It’s rare that an action movie will hold my attention. The cinematography and costume design are gorgeous; it’s got the novelty of a non-claustrophobic prison movie going for it, and there a few genuine laughs squeezed in.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Prey-movie-film-survival-horror-German-Netflix-2021-review-reviews-poster.jpg
\

Five friends head out for a bachelor party in the woods. All is AOK until they hear some gunshots....and it ain't duck hunting season.

At first, they dismiss it as random shots. That is until one of the five gets grazed on the arm.

What happens is a struggle of the hunted...and the prey.

Why? Is it internal strife? Is it some Blair Witch stuff? Watch and see.

Nothing special here. Basic flick.

2/5.

Geoffrey Firmin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
653A37F7-6AED-4B40-9CE9-9F0ED42DBE48.jpeg

Gun crazy revenge flick involving the Yakuza, a dying female assassin, betrayal and a HUGE body count…entertaining.

chobochobo

Rubber Chicken
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I watched Shang Chi in the cinema last week. We picked a VIP room with 7 pairs of seats, decent spacing. No eating and drinking in the cinema, and masks had to be kept on. Movie itself was quite enjoyable, but kept rooting for the 'villain'.

SixOhNine

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I liked the movie overall, but I thought Shang Chi's sister was a more interesting character. I'm cautiously optimistic that we'll see more of her.

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
Cinemas still shut here, kinda anxiously waiting for it to either pop up on streaming in a month or so, or a non cam version to appear on the torrent sites. Looking forward to it though.

double00

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Two_jakes_poster.jpg

the 15-year follow-up to chinatown .

nicholson directs , doesn't attempt to remake polanski's genre subversions , instead more a straight up noir . everyone in the cast is in their absolute prime here . keitel , meg tilly , madeleine stowe , ruben blades , everybody swings hard in this one .

a adult content , a *maybe* murder , a mystery woman . where does it all lead ?

good pulpy fun and ultimately a real love letter . recommend .

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
Warning. Spoilers.

I’ve seen D U N E yesterday. (It was released in France two days ago.)

i am a big fan of the book and was probably expecting too much.
Mixed feelings, but TBH I was clearly disappointed. (Like I was with Lynch’s version in the time).

Good points : some interesting scenes (especially with the Bene Gesserit sisters and « the voice ». The movie intro is rather good too, as the attempt to kill the Baron.)

And I didn’t see the 2 hours 35 minutes pass.

But… a very boring and long battle scene when the Harkonnen go back to Arrakis to kill the Atreides. (An obligatory step though.)

Some actors are a bit grotesque, especially the one that plays the Harkonnen Baron, who tries to copy Brando in Apocalypse now.

The sword/knives duels ain’t great. We’ve seen much better. (Any Japanese or Chinese Martial Arts movies, Ridley Scott’s Duellists).

i was really disappointed with the aesthetics, too clean.
while I liked Villeneuve’s cold futuristic aesthetics in Blade Runner 2049, i was expecting something more colourful, baroque for Dune. I don’t see much difference with Star Wars aesthetics for example.

I hope that the second chapter will be better.

noob in 89

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
La Chiave or bust…

Also:

1631942551826.jpeg

OLD (2021)

A very accelerated 24 hours in the life of a group of tourists stuck on some magical beach or another. A woman dies, tensions flare, and the group realizes they’re rapidly aging, and must deal with the fallout.

Like all Shyamalan films, an eerie and intriguing premise feels somewhat stifled by the pressure to build toward a twist. This was creepy enough to be enjoying, though so much happened, it would have fared better as a slowed down, limited series. Still good enough to recommend, though.

SixOhNine

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Watched Reminisce last night. It was not good. It was an utterly predictable, suspenseless movie that borrowed elements from much better ones. A little Blade Runner, some Chinatown, a lot of every single film noir from the 40s and 50s, mixed in with an illogical setting.

Not a surprise, I guess- Hugh Jackman makes really, really bad movies.

King Calder

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
8D85E6FA-A154-445D-B2F9-BDBF60DDA2E2.jpeg

Streaming on Criterion, Jimmy Stewart plays a small town lawyer in the upper peninsula of Michigan who takes on the case of an army soldier who is standing trial for murdering a man who raped his wife. Extremely cynical in its portrayal of the legal system and its actors (in a few senses), Stewart faces off with George C Scott in the courtroom, who plays the assistant DA from the big city brought in to help win the case. There’s no clear moral lines here, it’s all moral greys as Stewart defends a man with whom there is no doubt killed a man. Lee Remick is absolutely magnetic as Mrs Marion. The takes are long, the script is really sharp, and the entire movie is shot on location. It’s a long one at 2 hours, 40 minutes, but I’m gonna be honest it was the easiest watch over 150 minutes I can remember. And as an added bonus the movie is scored by Duke Ellington!

Highly recommended.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads