• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Movies Are You Watching Lately

azumi

Reaction score
Watched American Beauty last night, yes I know that it's an old movie, but it's a very nice movie. I think most of you watched this film.

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Watched Dark Skies in the theater today. Yes it's cheesey but this and the paranormal activity movies are still a hundred times better and scarier than dreck like the Texas Chainsaw remake.

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Watching War of the Worlds the Speilberg/Cruise version. It's very good but the ending is so ******* terrible. Speilberg hasn't ended a movie properly since close encounters. The endings are always such a ******* cop-out.

I wish someone would do a fan edit of this. Vaporize Cruise and cut that screaming brat out of it. Better yet, nuke everyone. Nuke Spielberg in effigy and make the Martians win.

Last edited:

OmniscientCause

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I wish someone would do a fan edit of this. Vaporize Cruise and cut that screaming brat out of it. Better yet, nuke everyone. Nuke Spielberg in effigy and make the Martians win.

You both know that you can't really blame spielberg for the ending of WOW...its a book and thats how it ends.

I guess I have some downloading to do over the next few weeks. I saw a decent amount of movies in theater this year but only one I saw in best picture was argo.

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

You both know that you can't really blame spielberg for the ending of WOW...its a book and thats how it ends.

I guess I have some downloading to do over the next few weeks. I saw a decent amount of movies in theater this year but only one I saw in best picture was argo.

A couple problems with this.

1. My main problem was not with how the aliens are defeated. As you said, that's the book and that's fine. My issue was with the pukingly-sweet ending of the whole family being reunited up in Boston, including the son who ran headfirst into an attack on the aliens. Total weak sauce. Total emotional manipulative bullshit, just like every film of Spielberg's in the last twenty years.

2. You're right the book ended the same way, and for something written in the 19th century that's a fine way to end the book. But this movie was 2005. We know more now than we did then. And it's no longer plausible that an alien race that rides lightning bolts through space and can otherwise entirely wipe us out wouldn't have a bio-hazard suit to keep out germs. That's a horribly dated idea.

Frankly, as I've said before, if aliens come to kill us we will have no chance whatsoever. Any alien invasion movie where humanity survives is simply dumb.

DerekS

Guyliner
Reaction score
FINALLY watched Skyfall last night. Gotta say, i was pretty pleased with it. JB is just a fuckin great actor.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

It is a six part series. I'd recommend that you set time aside to watch it all in one sitting.

thanks, ill try and work that out for a saturday night or something.

I really liked Django

what not to like?!

Trust me.

will add to netflix. :)

May I respectfully recommend these 2 books:
Auschwitz: A Doctor's Eyewitness Account Miklos Nyiszli
Five Chimneys: The Story of Auschwitz: Olga Lengyel

im not a huge reader, so no promises, but ill try.

Did not see Kane until last year even though No. 1 on just about every list.
Mind blowing in so many ways.

i also only watched it pretty recently, i loved it.

gunna watch shawshank redemption soon.

first time? thats one of my favorites.

FINALLY watched Skyfall last night. Gotta say, i was pretty pleased with it. JB is just a fuckin great actor.

:nodding:

OmniscientCause

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

A couple problems with this.

1. My main problem was not with how the aliens are defeated. As you said, that's the book and that's fine. My issue was with the pukingly-sweet ending of the whole family being reunited up in Boston, including the son who ran headfirst into an attack on the aliens. Total weak sauce. Total emotional manipulative bullshit, just like every film of Spielberg's in the last twenty years.

2. You're right the book ended the same way, and for something written in the 19th century that's a fine way to end the book. But this movie was 2005. We know more now than we did then. And it's no longer plausible that an alien race that rides lightning bolts through space and can otherwise entirely wipe us out wouldn't have a bio-hazard suit to keep out germs. That's a horribly dated idea.

Frankly, as I've said before, if aliens come to kill us we will have no chance whatsoever. Any alien invasion movie where humanity survives is simply dumb.

I'll play devils advocate soyes and no. In theory the aliens came down and planted their machines underground. At that time they were able to walk about freely as the virus had not yet been developed. They saw life on the planet was starting and left with the intent of coming back when it was populated. Because they were there previously one could make the arguement that they were lulled into a false sense of security and or confidence.

Might not be the best argument but it makes some sense I guess.

Last edited:

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think War of the Worlds is one of the few pieces of sci-fi that doesn't look absurd in retrospect. Given its relative age as well, I'd say that's quite an accomplishment.

Last edited:

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I'll play devils advocate soyes and no. In theory the aliens came down and planted their machines underground. At that time they were able to walk about freely as the virus had not yet been developed. They saw life on the planet was starting and left with the intent of coming back when it was populated. Because they were there previously one could make the arguement that they were lulled into a false sense of security and or confidence.

Might not be the best argument but it makes some sense I guess.

Regardless of whether or not that particular virus had been developed they would not wear alien gas masks? You know, like a better version of our space suits that we monkey boys have already invented.

I think War of the Worlds is one of the few pieces of sci-fi that doesn't look absurd in retrospect. Given its relative age as well, I'd say that's quite an accomplishment.

You referring to the book, the '50s movie, or the Spielberg movie?

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

You referring to the book, the '50s movie, or the Spielberg movie?

Not sure if the endings are any different (saw the Spielberg movie on TV late at night a long time ago), but I only recall the book and the radio broadcast.

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Not sure if the endings are any different (saw the Spielberg movie on TV late at night a long time ago), but I only recall the book and the radio broadcast.

Endings are all the same. And that's the problem. It would be like remaking Voyage to the Moon and still using a rocket launch and no space suits and fighting moon men with umbrellas. I can forgive it in the original and even appreciate the artistry of it for the time period. But unless you're ******* dumb you can't suspend disbelief when an alien civilization a million years more advanced than us gets taken down by a virus. It's dumb for the 21st century.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads