1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 11: Any Three (3) Customized Ties from Vanda Fine Clothing

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 11th auction of the year is for any three customized ties from Vanda Fine Clothing. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

What Movies Are You Watching Lately

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by edinatlanta, Nov 29, 2010.

1. Van Veen

Van Veen Distinguished Member

Skipped watching the Oscars in favorite of eating tacos, ice cream, and seeing Silver Linings Playbook, which I thought was a better movie than Argo.

2. NAMOR

NAMOR Stylish Dinosaur

where are you watching SLP and also eating tacos and ice cream?

3. Van Veen

Van Veen Distinguished Member

Unfortunately not all at the same time. But I did drink beer while watching SLP.

4. NAMOR

NAMOR Stylish Dinosaur

ahhhh i see. hoping i can watch SLP before it hits dvd

5. azumi

azumi Senior Member

Watched American Beauty last night, yes I know that it's an old movie, but it's a very nice movie. I think most of you watched this film.

6. Harold falcon

Harold falcon Stylish Dinosaur

Watched Dark Skies in the theater today. Yes it's cheesey but this and the paranormal activity movies are still a hundred times better and scarier than dreck like the Texas Chainsaw remake.

7. MyOtherLife

MyOtherLife Distinguished Member

I wish someone would do a fan edit of this. Vaporize Cruise and cut that screaming brat out of it. Better yet, nuke everyone. Nuke Spielberg in effigy and make the Martians win.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2013

8. OmniscientCause

OmniscientCause Distinguished Member

You both know that you can't really blame spielberg for the ending of WOW...its a book and thats how it ends.

I guess I have some downloading to do over the next few weeks. I saw a decent amount of movies in theater this year but only one I saw in best picture was argo.

9. Harold falcon

A couple problems with this.

1. My main problem was not with how the aliens are defeated. As you said, that's the book and that's fine. My issue was with the pukingly-sweet ending of the whole family being reunited up in Boston, including the son who ran headfirst into an attack on the aliens. Total weak sauce. Total emotional manipulative bullshit, just like every film of Spielberg's in the last twenty years.

2. You're right the book ended the same way, and for something written in the 19th century that's a fine way to end the book. But this movie was 2005. We know more now than we did then. And it's no longer plausible that an alien race that rides lightning bolts through space and can otherwise entirely wipe us out wouldn't have a bio-hazard suit to keep out germs. That's a horribly dated idea.

Frankly, as I've said before, if aliens come to kill us we will have no chance whatsoever. Any alien invasion movie where humanity survives is simply dumb.

10. DerekS

DerekS Guyliner

FINALLY watched Skyfall last night. Gotta say, i was pretty pleased with it. JB is just a fuckin great actor.

11. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

thanks, ill try and work that out for a saturday night or something.

what not to like?!

will add to netflix. :)

im not a huge reader, so no promises, but ill try.

i also only watched it pretty recently, i loved it.

first time? thats one of my favorites.

:nodding:

12. OmniscientCause

OmniscientCause Distinguished Member

I'll play devils advocate soyes and no. In theory the aliens came down and planted their machines underground. At that time they were able to walk about freely as the virus had not yet been developed. They saw life on the planet was starting and left with the intent of coming back when it was populated. Because they were there previously one could make the arguement that they were lulled into a false sense of security and or confidence.

Might not be the best argument but it makes some sense I guess.

13. why

why Distinguished Member

I think War of the Worlds is one of the few pieces of sci-fi that doesn't look absurd in retrospect. Given its relative age as well, I'd say that's quite an accomplishment.

14. Harold falcon

Regardless of whether or not that particular virus had been developed they would not wear alien gas masks? You know, like a better version of our space suits that we monkey boys have already invented.

You referring to the book, the '50s movie, or the Spielberg movie?

15. why

why Distinguished Member

Not sure if the endings are any different (saw the Spielberg movie on TV late at night a long time ago), but I only recall the book and the radio broadcast.