1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

What Movies Are You Watching Lately

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by edinatlanta, Nov 29, 2010.

1. StephenHero

StephenHero Well-Known Member

why, what's your favorite* movie?

*or least disliked

Last edited: Jan 27, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  2. why

why Well-Known Member

Really hard to say because 'favorite movie' isn't one that I'm always going to put on when I decide to rewatch a movie. I think out of all the great entertaining movies out there, Network probably has the most take-away -- it's about as close as anyone working with film has ever come to Shakespeare-level insight and eloquence. It's first and foremost entertaining, simultaneously sincere and ridiculous, and one viewing simply isn't sufficient nor exhaustive. It's possibly the only movie I've ever seen that's rich enough to be seen differently with repeat viewings, which is rather remarkable for something on a recorded medium.

1 person likes this.
  3. lefty

lefty Well-Known Member

^ It's an insanely great movie.

Case in point...

[​IMG]

lefty

3 people like this.
  4. in stitches

in stitches Well-Known Member

now i want to watch it again.

5. lefty

lefty Well-Known Member

That scene is a masterwork of writing, directing and acting. As is this:

[​IMG]

lefty

2 people like this.
  6. OmniscientCause

OmniscientCause Well-Known Member

Id say once upon a time in america fits this bill...

1 person likes this.
  7. Medwed

Medwed Well-Known Member

Boston->NYC->Helsinki->St.-Petersburg->Budapest->A

May be first 1h:30min , then it drags, stumbles & descends into grotesque with ridiculously improbable ending.

I'd suggest Spagetti Westerns could be re-watched ad infinitum.

8. wizzeak

wizzeak Well-Known Member

Watched Her today. I must say I was pleasantly surprised with how funny it was. Did not really see it being THAT funny. My entire theatre was giggling like mad which made it that much better.

9. StephenHero

StephenHero Well-Known Member

I thought Her was funny too, but in a regrettable way that was a distraction from what otherwise didn't need to be a funny movie at all. The fact that there was crude humor to be found in the simulator from the audience's perspective kind of distorted the argument re: the simulator's viability, and made her an object of sentiment more than she should have been. I think the only appropriate use would have been to strictly use the humor that Joaquin found in her responses so the audience was as synchronized as possible to his responses to her. I remember watching Persona awhile back and finding the psychology of the relationship much more engaging because you aren't burdened with the director's need to create secondary sources of entertainment to appease an audience. Her still felt like a movie where the characters didn't have autonomy to the content of their interaction, which is ultimately kind of a big deal for me. It was fun though, and the depiction of the future was refreshingly modest.

10. in stitches

The Girl Who Kicked The Hornets Nest Extended Version (Swedish with English subtitles). So. Freaking. Good. I think the trilogy might be one of my all time favorites.

11. dexterhaven

dexterhaven Well-Known Member

Really? I thought the first two were entertaining, but I didn't care for the last one.
    Didn't like how the movie kept hyping up the trial, like it was some big suspenseful event. Obviously the girl was gonna get off. She got shot three times and buried alive for god's sake. Plus the defense had the rape video the whole time. Maybe if I knew more about the Swedish legal system or something. Also the way the bad guys got there commupance. Just felt contrived. I really think the series is at its best when the girl is out doing jason bourne-type shit and is not just hanging out in a room/cell.

12. Harold falcon

Harold falcon Well-Known Member

Rewatching Ran. This movie is amazing. Anticipating the ending, possibly the best ending of all time, ever.

13. mktitsworth

mktitsworth Well-Known Member

As in the Akira Kurosawa version of King Lear?

14. Harold falcon

Harold falcon Well-Known Member

Yes.

15. mktitsworth

Noice.

Think I'm about to watch "Safety Not Guaranteed."

16. in stitches

really and truly. obviously you had to know how it was going to end, but i liked how they paced it, how they let the case play out and how everything else in the background all came together.

all in all it was an excellent trilogy.

17. mktitsworth

Yup. That was pretty cute.

18. Medwed

Medwed Well-Known Member

Boston->NYC->Helsinki->St.-Petersburg->Budapest->A
    Watched 'Her' tonight, masterful movie. Written and directed to boot. I hope producers will get some money back because it will bomb for sure in Amurika.
    Great experience.

19. Cleav

Cleav Well-Known Member

Gangster Squad....

You guys know the drill

20. Pennglock

Pennglock Well-Known Member

I thought Her was superb. I get the impression that the script started out as a much more straightforward commentary on technology, then sort of took on a life of its own.