• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Movies Are You Watching Lately

OmniscientCause

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
okay while we are still on the topic of aliens in movies...in your opinions what is the best and most accurate alien movie based off how YOU believe things would happen?

I'll toss in taken even though it is a mini series or fire in the sky.

and signs is on...this movie scared me kind of when I was younger because of how real I thought it was in comparison to other movies like independence day etc which I found to be silly.

Last edited:

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

okay while we are still on the topic of aliens in movies...in your opinions what is the best and most accurate alien movie based off how YOU believe things would happen?

I'll toss in taken even though it is a mini series or fire in the sky.

and signs is on...this movie scared me kind of when I was younger because of how real I thought it was in comparison to other movies like independence day etc which I found to be silly.

Contact tried, but was too optimistic.
The Thing was too stupid (the alien, not the movie)
The Day the Earth Stood Still had the right level of power for the aliens, but an emotional appeal that didn't make sense.

Frankly an accurate alien movie hasn't been made if we're talking about intelligent interstellar aliens. If such creatures existed they would destroy us all in seconds. Not a very satisfying movie, I realize.

OmniscientCause

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Contact tried, but was too optimistic.
The Thing was too stupid (the alien, not the movie)
The Day the Earth Stood Still had the right level of power for the aliens, but an emotional appeal that didn't make sense.

Frankly an accurate alien movie hasn't been made if we're talking about intelligent interstellar aliens. If such creatures existed they would destroy us all in seconds. Not a very satisfying movie, I realize.

depending on their purpose for us. Why would contact they make with us be hostile? What purpose would they have to destroy us if they were so much further advanced?

Do you find it likely our natural resources are the same as theirs and that would be their reason for invading?

Doesnt matter to me honestly I do not expect some other form of life to come while I am living, so I wont dwell on it. I will just enjoy the movies that depict something happening.

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

depending on their purpose for us. Why would contact they make with us be hostile? What purpose would they have to destroy us if they were so much further advanced?

Do you find it likely our natural resources are the same as theirs and that would be their reason for invading?

Doesnt matter to me honestly I do not expect some other form of life to come while I am living, so I wont dwell on it. I will just enjoy the movies that depict something happening.

The universe is finite. At some point, even if its billions of years in the future, all intelligent species will have to fight for resources. So you can choose. Eliminate the competition now, while it's relatively weak, or wait a few billion years until the very survival of your species depends on it.

And when I say "resources" I don't mean oil or water. I mean the very matter that makes up the universe.

Last edited:

OmniscientCause

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The universe is finite. At some point, even if its billions of years in the future, all intelligent species will have to fight for resources. So you can choose. Eliminate the competition now, while it's relatively weak, or wait a few billion years until the very survival of your species depends on it.

And when I say "resources" I don't mean oil or water. I mean the very matter that makes up the universe.

Im more of a believer that we will figure out time travel before aliens come to earth...ancient aliens on history channel brainwashed me lol.

Imhoff

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
"We only have to look at ourselves to see how intelligent life might develop into something we wouldn’t want to meet. I imagine they might exist in massive ships, having used up all the resources from their home planet. Such advanced aliens would perhaps become nomads, looking to conquer and colonize whatever planets they can reach. [Contacting aliens would be] a little too risky ... If aliens ever visit us, I think the outcome would be much as when Christopher Columbus first landed in America, which didn’t turn out very well for the Native Americans."

-Stephen Hawking

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Im more of a believer that we will figure out time travel before aliens come to earth...ancient aliens on history channel brainwashed me lol.

Possibly, but even going back to the beginning of time the universe is still infinite. So it's still us vs them. Hey, my hope is we are more advanced then they are and can exterminate them first.

"We only have to look at ourselves to see how intelligent life might develop into something we wouldn’t want to meet. I imagine they might exist in massive ships, having used up all the resources from their home planet. Such advanced aliens would perhaps become nomads, looking to conquer and colonize whatever planets they can reach. [Contacting aliens would be] a little too risky ... If aliens ever visit us, I think the outcome would be much as when Christopher Columbus first landed in America, which didn’t turn out very well for the Native Americans."

-Stephen Hawking

If they get to us before we even leave our own galaxy it'll be more like the contemporary US military vs the fleas on the back of a dog's ass. Drone strike. /end.

Last edited:

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Assume I am. Explain how changing the setting of the movie affects physical inaccuracies depicted therein.

I've explained this three times already. If you really are this ... then there's no point.

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Explain it again or point me to the explanation. You just keep avoiding it because what you wrote is indefensible nonsense.

It would be like remaking Voyage to the Moon and still using a rocket launch and no space suits and fighting moon men with umbrellas. I can forgive it in the original and even appreciate the artistry of it for the time period. But unless you're ******* dumb you can't suspend disbelief when an alien civilization a million years more advanced than us gets taken down by a virus. It's dumb for the 21st century.

It wouldn't change any of those things, it would change my perception of it. I can forgive an 1898 book, or a movie based in the time period of 1898, that doesn't realize aliens would not be susceptible to Earth germs. I cannot forgive a 2005 film of the same offense.

It doesn't change the physical reality. Did you not read my post? I said it changes my perception of the story. It's like reading any old story that has some fact wrong. That the fact is wrong doesn't make me enjoy it less because the author didn't know any better. Spielberg can't use that excuse. Spielberg knew, or should have known, that germs will not stop an alien invasion. That he chose to ignore that fact took me out of the movie and caused me to dislike his film. Understand?

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
watched frost/nixon last night. it was excellent. cast was perfect, and i always love sam rockwell, dude is way under-appreciated imo.

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I know, I read those. What I'm asking is how changing the setting changes your perception of of the story. Let me repeat, since apparently you still don't understand. You wrote:

That the fact is wrong doesn't make me enjoy it less because the author didn't know any better. Spielberg can't use that excuse. Spielberg knew, or should have known, that germs will not stop an alien invasion. That he chose to ignore that fact took me out of the movie and caused me to dislike his film.

Now, how does changing the setting of the story to 1898 somehow alter the bolded part? Specifically, how can altering the setting of the film change your perception and suspension of disbelief? Spielberg would still know basic germ theory, as would you. The fact that some people inside the imaginary world set in 1898 would not should not in any way change the physical reality. Would you, for example, find no fault with a presumably realistic film about Roman gladiators if all of them were able to jump 30 feet in the air simply because the laws of gravitation weren't understood at that time?

Last edited:

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I know, I read those. What I'm asking is how changing the setting changes your perception of of the story. Let me repeat, since apparently you still don't understand. You wrote:

That the fact is wrong doesn't make me enjoy it less because the author didn't know any better. Spielberg can't use that excuse. Spielberg knew, or should have known, that germs will not stop an alien invasion. That he chose to ignore that fact took me out of the movie and caused me to dislike his film.

Now, how does changing the setting of the story to 1898 somehow alter the bolded part? Specifically, how can altering the setting of the film change your perception and suspension of disbelief? Spielberg would still know basic germ theory, as would you. The fact that some people inside the imaginary world set in 1898 would not should not in any way change the physical reality. Would you, for example, find no fault with a presumably realistic film about Roman gladiators if all of them were able to jump 30 feet in the air simply because the laws of gravitation weren't understood at that time?

My goodness, you're thick. Changing the setting isn't the determinative factor. Following the story as originally written is the determinative factor. You really like bolding things that have no relation to the actual topic, don't you?

Last edited:

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
While the new can't hold his liquor "why" is a lot of fun, it's kinda nice having the old one back.

lefty

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads