• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What is your favorite aftershave?

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
hey Achilles, there are a million creams and soaps out there to try, but I'll save you the headache of going through the learning curve that is badgerandblade.

Proraso green (tube) is cheap (under $10) and works great. If you want to upgrade ($20-30) then try any of the "three T's" (Taylors, Trumpers, Truefit and Hill). Personally I found Trumper's Coconut, and Tailor's Rose, or I happen to like Eton College, and Almond gets good reviews too. Truefitt and Trumpers are pricier, and Taylors uses the same cream/consistency for all scents so I prefer them. And then there's also Art of Shaving, which are a bit overpriced but do work quite well and aren't hard to use.
As for soaps, I'm not a big fan but Tabac is quite cheap, works great, and will last you forever.

short - buy Proraso green tube, Trumper's Coconut or AOS Sandlewood cream, and Tabacs soap. Take 3-4 months of practice and see if you want to get into it more.

Achilles_

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

hey Achilles, there are a million creams and soaps out there to try, but I'll save you the headache of going through the learning curve that is badgerandblade.

Proraso green (tube) is cheap (under $10) and works great. If you want to upgrade ($20-30) then try any of the "three T's" (Taylors, Trumpers, Truefit and Hill). Personally I found Trumper's Coconut, and Tailor's Rose, or I happen to like Eton College, and Almond gets good reviews too. Truefitt and Trumpers are pricier, and Taylors uses the same cream/consistency for all scents so I prefer them. And then there's also Art of Shaving, which are a bit overpriced but do work quite well and aren't hard to use.
As for soaps, I'm not a big fan but Tabac is quite cheap, works great, and will last you forever.

short - buy Proraso green tube, Trumper's Coconut or AOS Sandlewood cream, and Tabacs soap. Take 3-4 months of practice and see if you want to get into it more.

Thank you!

I purchased a tub of TOBS sensitive skin stuff ($13 with free two day shipping) before I read this. Hopefully it will be good.

I am hoping to get a sandalwood cream and a lavender cream sometime soon.

I'm definitely thinking creams are my preference :)

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Yes you could mix it with a cologne but it would have to be the right mix of scents. Just like combining spices some work and some don't. But the reason I use it is that it has a nice light smell and not at all like a heavy cologne. The Arlington range is rather extensive so you can use it in combination with their deodorant, soap, shaving cream, etc. for a consistent scent.
I tend to use aftershaves in the morning ... and they are as you note light. I don't want an overpowering cologne by day ... especially when working. I save my colognes for more personal outings ... mostly in the evening.

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

First this thread is about aftershave, not cologne.

What is your favorite aftershave and why?

My daily favorite is D.R. Harris Arlington. I first discovered in in the mid 90's in London at the Conran shop. It has a light, fresh lime zest scent that is very enjoyable. (It also has a matching roll-on deodorant for a consistent scent). It comes in the heavy glass bottle shown below and a plastic travel bottle.

Witch-Hazel, what else?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Witch-hazel

Bowtiedlad93

Reaction score
I have this aftershave and cologne set from BB that is just love. It has a nice scent to it and really helps moisturize the exposed pores of my face.

md2010

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Armani Acqua Di Gio . I always buy gift set with the after shave and the fragrance. Using for 7-8 years now.

zazaza

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Speik is great but very hard to find in the US
Musgo Real is probably my favorite splash (their shave cream is phenomenal as well)

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
None whatsover. My wife can't stand colognes etc. Plus I don't shave any more (except for details), so aftershaves, shaving soaps are unecessary. Probably as a result, I've found that I notice the overuse of cologne and aftershave a lot more in recent years. It has started to strike me as very bad manners to dominate a space with some fierce cologne and, if anyone is interested in the views of someone who just doesn't really like scent all that much, I would at least recommend subtlety and not overdoing it...

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

None whatsover. My wife can't stand colognes etc.
After shave is NOT cologne. After shave is for use after a shave and contains ingredients that sooth and tighten the skin in some way. As you note that you don't shave, I can understand why you don't use.

But given your comment about cologne, have you ever tried a real after shave like D. R. Harris? I used 'Pink' this morning and the scent is very subtle. Within a minute after using ... another person would have to know you very well to really pick up on the scent. Honestly their nose would have to be within inches or actually against your skin.

Edit: To test, I put a dab on my wrist about five minutes ago, I can barely get a hint even when putting my wrist to my nose.

Last edited:

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Quote:
After shave is NOT cologne. After shave is for use after a shave and contains ingredients that sooth and tighten the skin in some way. As you note that you don't shave, I can understand why you don't use.
But given your comment about cologne, have you ever tried a real after shave like D. R. Harris? I used 'Pink' this morning and the scent is very subtle. Within a minute after using ... another person would have to know you very well to really pick up on the scent. Honestly their nose would have to be within inches or actually against your skin.

Edit: To test, I put a dab on my wrist about five minutes ago, I can barely get a hint even when putting my wrist to my nose.

1. I am fully aware of the difference between aftershave and cologne.
2. That's exactly the kind of thing I would recommend to anyone else. My wife still wouldn't like it!

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
FlyingMonkey, I am familiar with the request for subtlety. I used to live in the hills of Berkeley -- a city which must have 100 times the per capita average of cologne allergies (which is a subject in and of itself) -- so I typically went subtle ... unless I really wanted to rattle an outspoken local who more than likely had no real allergy.

Last edited:

bourbonbasted

Cyber Eliitist
Reaction score
I always use an after shave lotion with little or no alcohol, because alcohol dries your face out and makes you look older. Then moisturizer, then an anti-aging eye balm followed by a final moisturizing protective lotion...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads