What is your favorite aftershave?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by GusW, Aug 22, 2011.

Tags:
  1. Master-Classter

Master-Classter Senior member

hey Achilles, there are a million creams and soaps out there to try, but I'll save you the headache of going through the learning curve that is badgerandblade.

Proraso green (tube) is cheap (under $10) and works great. If you want to upgrade ($20-30) then try any of the "three T's" (Taylors, Trumpers, Truefit and Hill). Personally I found Trumper's Coconut, and Tailor's Rose, or I happen to like Eton College, and Almond gets good reviews too. Truefitt and Trumpers are pricier, and Taylors uses the same cream/consistency for all scents so I prefer them. And then there's also Art of Shaving, which are a bit overpriced but do work quite well and aren't hard to use.
    As for soaps, I'm not a big fan but Tabac is quite cheap, works great, and will last you forever.

short - buy Proraso green tube, Trumper's Coconut or AOS Sandlewood cream, and Tabacs soap. Take 3-4 months of practice and see if you want to get into it more.

2. Achilles_

Achilles_ Senior member

Thank you!

I purchased a tub of TOBS sensitive skin stuff ($13 with free two day shipping) before I read this. Hopefully it will be good.

I am hoping to get a sandalwood cream and a lavender cream sometime soon.

I'm definitely thinking creams are my preference :)

3. gnatty8

gnatty8 Senior member

I swear by this. Have used it for years now.

[​IMG]

4. RSS

RSS Senior member

I tend to use aftershaves in the morning ... and they are as you note light. I don't want an overpowering cologne by day ... especially when working. I save my colognes for more personal outings ... mostly in the evening.

5. comrade

comrade Senior member

Witch-Hazel, what else?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Witch-hazel

6. Bowtiedlad93

Bowtiedlad93 Senior member

I have this aftershave and cologne set from BB that is just love. It has a nice scent to it and really helps moisturize the exposed pores of my face.

7. md2010

md2010 Senior member

8. zazaza

zazaza Senior member

Speik is great but very hard to find in the US
    Musgo Real is probably my favorite splash (their shave cream is phenomenal as well)

9. RSS

RSS Senior member

Sorry? No apology necessary ... Colonia is one of their better sents in my opinion.

10. FlyingMonkey

FlyingMonkey Senior member

None whatsover. My wife can't stand colognes etc. Plus I don't shave any more (except for details), so aftershaves, shaving soaps are unecessary. Probably as a result, I've found that I notice the overuse of cologne and aftershave a lot more in recent years. It has started to strike me as very bad manners to dominate a space with some fierce cologne and, if anyone is interested in the views of someone who just doesn't really like scent all that much, I would at least recommend subtlety and not overdoing it...

11. PabloDiablo

PabloDiablo Well-Known Member

Decleor, it's a cream, very soothing and light so you can wear whatever cologne you like with it.

[​IMG]

12. RSS

RSS Senior member

After shave is NOT cologne. After shave is for use after a shave and contains ingredients that sooth and tighten the skin in some way. As you note that you don't shave, I can understand why you don't use.

But given your comment about cologne, have you ever tried a real after shave like D. R. Harris? I used 'Pink' this morning and the scent is very subtle. Within a minute after using ... another person would have to know you very well to really pick up on the scent. Honestly their nose would have to be within inches or actually against your skin.

Edit: To test, I put a dab on my wrist about five minutes ago, I can barely get a hint even when putting my wrist to my nose.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2011
  13. FlyingMonkey

FlyingMonkey Senior member

Quote:
    1. I am fully aware of the difference between aftershave and cologne.
    2. That's exactly the kind of thing I would recommend to anyone else. My wife still wouldn't like it!

14. RSS

RSS Senior member

FlyingMonkey, I am familiar with the request for subtlety. I used to live in the hills of Berkeley -- a city which must have 100 times the per capita average of cologne allergies (which is a subject in and of itself) -- so I typically went subtle ... unless I really wanted to rattle an outspoken local who more than likely had no real allergy.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2011
  15. bourbonbasted

bourbonbasted Cyber Eliitist

I always use an after shave lotion with little or no alcohol, because alcohol dries your face out and makes you look older. Then moisturizer, then an anti-aging eye balm followed by a final moisturizing protective lotion...