• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What is the best value shoe maker you know?

unprocessed

Reaction score
I see your problem. If you went custom they sell for about $435 but offer the lasts in E, F ,G , and H, and you could get everything the way you want, just a thought:)

My custom made TLBs took about a week to make, which is incredible turnaround for shoes that didn’t exist when I ordered and included customizations not offered in their RTW. Worth emailing them to see your options and turnaround time, they’re super responsive too.

KtSty

Reaction score
TO BE CLEAR:
ZEB shoes do not use HW (hand welting), they use "Plain veldtschoen", which is construction when lining and toe stiffener are cemented to the insoles outer side and upper leather is attached to the midsole by stitching with sole stitcher machine and adding strip of leather aka "fake welt". So to sum up ZEB shoes are not welted, they do not have any welt. They are not hand stitched, they use machine to attach midsole and outsole. And ZEB shoes do not use any "special construction he developed himself" this construction already was in 1915 when Lotus catalog was printed.
Thank You

Interesting discussion. What is the connection between insole and upper then? Looks like there is no direct connection aside from the cement between lining/stiffener and insole?

aj2603

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think Sagara boot maker from Indonesia should be mentioned in this discussion

They offer shoes and boots around 250-300 USD (including free shipping)

They offer full grain veg tanned leather. Handwelted construction.
You can customise everything u want on the boot.

I am attaching a few pics of my boot from them

D8C4676B-11B3-446E-98DB-65DE77EC3F37.jpeg
A3F3FEE0-9847-4EAC-BA4E-ABFF1B771E1B.jpeg
A5D850F7-49AD-473E-869A-EFD1B967C7D9.jpeg
02949793-1ADF-413F-8336-9A371C51783E.jpeg
F5539BB5-5D7B-43CD-ABDE-C687CBE6D2A8.jpeg
5255DF16-BABF-4AA5-AA50-7F5DD761FC97.jpeg

chandelle

Reaction score
No, I agree. They're tough to break in.

I just assume, if you're asking people on the internet about value, you're probably looking to spend as little as possible. Meermin is about the cheapest you can go without sacrificing too much on leather and construction. But you're going to want to budget some time to break them in.

I have a fair few pairs of Oxfords... a dozen or so from Vass and a pair each from EG, Church's, C&J, Cleverley, Septieme Largeur and a few others. A Meermin pair too is among them and is a real favorite. Zero break-in time and it fit the contours of my feet perfectly. The quality of the leather isn't quite EG or Vass but the build quality is wonderful, considering what I paid for it.

slepsnys

Reaction score
Interesting discussion. What is the connection between insole and upper then? Looks like there is no direct connection aside from the cement between lining/stiffener and insole?

Yes, You are right in ZEB shoes, lining is cemented to the insole outside, there is no other connection apart cement between insole and lining. Upper leather have no direct connection with insole at all, it is turnout and stitched a directly to midsole. Also keep in mind that leather strip that runs around shoes and looks like welt it is not a welt, it is decorative strip on top of turnout leather. If You remove this strip from Zeb shoe, it will fill not fall apart, because it is decorative strip unlike in goodyear welted or hand welted shoes.
Thank You

Panama

Reaction score
I have a collection of Loakes, Barkers, and Cheaney's. Loakes 1880 and Barker professional/hand crafted seconds are widely available. Cheaney's are good value in seasonal sales. I just bought a Loake Shoemaker discontinued NOS in a clothing store for £99.00, and Googling online appears many stores are priced the same. All of my seconds were less than Barker/Loake/Jones made in India GYW's. The best value must be a Barker Handcrafted for £79.00 where the flaw is virtually invisible to the naked eye.

20200105_123136.jpg

Loake 1880 Aldwych second roughly £89.00.

Last edited:

Sartorium

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Value is subjective. What do you like about the brands you linked?

For my definition of "value," which places probably a fair bit more on my aesthetic preferences, "foot feel", and less on $/wear, Justin Fitzpatrick @The Shoe Snob makes the best value shoes on the market. The lasts and styling decisions agree with me, whereas Meermin looks stodgy, traditionalist, and boring.

Braid

Reaction score
I have a collection of Loakes, Barkers, and Cheaney's. Loakes 1880 and Barker professional/hand crafted seconds are widely available. Cheaney's are good value in seasonal sales. I just bought a Loake Shoemaker discontinued NOS in a clothing store for £99.00, and Googling online appears many stores are priced the same. All of my seconds were less than Barker/Loake/Jones made in India GYW's. The best value must be a Barker Handcrafted for £79.00 where the flaw is virtually invisible to the naked eye.

View attachment 1333782

Loake 1880 Aldwych second roughly £89.00.
Where would you get Barker handcraft at that price? When I went to the factory store they were around 160£ if I remember well.

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Shoes are like other things, once you go up, hard to come down... I sold nearly all my CJ besides boots and casual loafer.

My top of the line now is AM as GG/EG in general doesn’t fit me that well sold all except one GG in MH71, tried JL various time but never end up buying. Also tried Vass but end up not buying and go to AM directly (AM finishing is definitely above Vass). If I can try EB in person maybe I would give a shot, otherwise don’t feel the hassle of online returning...

had to sell some Carmina due to fits as well (split tassel loafer on Forest EEE), and don’t plan to buy in the future either but I do find Carmina’s last very attractive.

tried my first pair L&T this week, just on the look alone I would say Carmina’s last is more attractive (my only L&T is on their new soft chisel L last for the lazyman). Good value but I would not personally get dressier shoe from them, but some kind PTB in grain as beater definitely (the lazyman was semi beater for me as well, so I’m ok with the price).

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
High instep is good for me! I don’t like shell (or rather I don’t prefer shell, especially as far as I’m concerned it’s more expensive for not a lot benefit from my stand point of view).

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Speaking of L&T seem to be a lot people request Utah, is it a good beater? Or I’m better of stick with some kind of hatch grain

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
In terms of insole, do you mean soft or some kind of bouncy ness? Didn’t really notice in one day wear guess will pay more attention next time

WhyUEarly

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Speaking of L&T seem to be a lot people request Utah, is it a good beater? Or I’m better of stick with some kind of hatch grain
Yea Utah is a good beater leather but very soft and supple. It's more matte and hard to mirror polish than a hatch grain. It's great value because Utah was only previously easily found at Edward Green. I'm actually trying to sell my pair of L&T Utah oxford.

In terms of insole, do you mean soft or some kind of bouncy ness? Didn’t really notice in one day wear guess will pay more attention next time
The insole is soft and a bit bouncy on my pair at least. If I press my finger on the insole, it noticeably compresses. I imagine lots of people like it for comfort but I'm not a fan. Also don't like the last.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads