• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

what is the appeal of boat shoes?

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
Originally Posted by chronoaug
Hating on boat shoes, hating on rolling up pants, hating on sandals (which i kinda want for wearing with trousers/pants), and just plain hating on me. I thought we were cool, GS
frown.gif

i like you nekkid

Xericx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was in a mexico beach town last week for work and actually took boat shoes instead of sandals. They were extremely comfortable. I wore them without socks on the town in hot weather, kept my feet cool, very laid back. No rocks or water splashed on my feet like they would with sandals.

I did look like as described as I was wearing some tommy bahama chino cargo shorts and a pink TB polo shirt with them.

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tiecollector
Is this bad or awesome? I think awesome!

I love boat shoes and OG Sperry's will never go out of style. Some of the stylish interpretations will look silly in a couple years though. Winter boat shoes look good in winter and summer ones great in summer. They slip on and look better than flip flops. Plus, you can get neat colors without having them look odd.

Come on man that's a joke of a comparison, like comparing samurai to 7fam.

Originally Posted by Ry'on
boat shoes are just easy to wear, and look better than vans

I think every teen in high school wears vans now, we used to wear that *********** 80s.

Orsini

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you have anything even peripherally to do with boating, sailing, or the ocean, then non-marking boat shoes are great. You need a pair with reasonably clean soles to go on any boat. There are a range of styles, some of which are OK for some walking, and others that are nice enough for most non-business social anywhere near the beach.

delirium

Reaction score
I don't really understand the hate for boat shoes... They don't really make feet look chunky at all.

Black Cherry

Reaction score
I don't own a boat. I don't own boat shoes. If I did own a boat, I wouldn't own boat shoes. If I owned boat shoes, I'd own a boat. But I wouldn't own boat shoes.

iamaloser

Reaction score
Yes, I too buy my footwear based on the activities they are traditionally associated with. The same goes for all of my clothing.

breakz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I got rid of my Purcells when I stopped playing badminton. Had to keep it real, you know.

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I stopped wearing pique polos when I layed down the racket.

esspee1200

Reaction score
i would only rock boatshoes with shorts and khakis. once you wear em with jeans, you automatically fall into the bill gates wardrobe collection!!!

Tcameron

Reaction score
I'm from Massachusetts - I've owned 4 pairs of boat shoes over the last two summers - and I loved every pair. Being from the Northeast we always know we're right, and I assure you boat shoes are great and are to have white bottoms and worn without socks. I do not own a boat - but I have friends that own boats and live extravagant old money lifestyles. I also can tell you I'm not a bro - and I own one polo shirt that I've worn twice since I bought it, which was 6 months ago.

I will concede boat shoes should not be worn with jeans and anyone caught doing so will be told to vacate the marina and go back to Williamsburg. (Although I have seen people on the WAYWT thread sporting this look and it works sometimes, but certainly not in principal).

With half sincerity,

T

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads