• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What is "Lauren by Ralph Lauren"?

AnGeLiCbOrIs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SwedishFish
Never heard of American Living until a few days ago. JC Penney has it all on sale right now. The men's stuff truly is awful, and what about that logo: huge eagle holding the Star Spangled Banner in its claws?!?! Only item I would consider is this buffalo plaid woven cotton shirt @ $50.00 (flannel?).
It is always on sale and only sold at JCP. I must say that I like their ties. At about $20-$30, they represent the best tie value in the average American mall.

mattg

Reaction score
"Lauren by Ralph Lauren" is a lincensed brand, manufactured and distributed by Peerless Clothing out of Canada (I believe) they are the same company that manufactures, licenses, and distributes, the lower end line of Calvin Klein, Michael Kors, Sean Jean, Joseph Aboud, and a few others. The quality is sub-par but the Ralph Laurens make decent cheap travel jackets if you can get them at a deep discount. These lines are often used by retailers to decieve the consumer into believing that they are getting huge discounts on a $695 suit, at a great value of $299 when in reality the standard retail of these suits with a 2.4 mark up would be less than that, probably around $275. Steer clear unless your looking for something cheap and they're on sale for $150.

SwedishFish

Reaction score
Originally Posted by AnGeLiCbOrIs
It is always on sale and only sold at JCP. I must say that I like their ties. At about $20-$30, they represent the best tie value in the average American mall.

Oh, Ok. I haven't been to JCP for at least five years so I don't know these things. Plus, I am sure my local mall and JCP store both rank high on the sketchiest mall index. Maybe I should make a Halloween activity out of visiting the place again...

AnGeLiCbOrIs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SwedishFish
Oh, Ok. I haven't been to JCP for at least five years so I don't know these things. Plus, I am sure my local mall and JCP store both rank high on the sketchiest mall index. Maybe I should make a Halloween activity out of visiting the place again...

Eh. It's not worth a visit. Just good knowledge for someone who may need a conservative tie in a pinch.

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
American Living is strictly for Penney's. Although there is a JCP in Santa Ana Main Place near my office, I hardly ever go in there. Penney's Stafford underwear is good, and I bought a flannel shirt there which was okay for the price--$10. That's the totality of my experience with JCP!

thinman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mattg
"Lauren by Ralph Lauren" ... quality is sub-par but the Ralph Laurens make decent cheap travel jackets if you can get them at a deep discount...

+1. Significantly lower quality than Polo RL. I own a corduroy jacket from the "Lauren" RL line because I didn't want to pay a bundle for something (corduroy) that would look worn rather quickly. After 3 years, the lapels are starting to curl slightly and the elbows are looking worn. It's not a bad jacket for the price ($100), but I'll be looking to add elbow patches and perhaps replace it soon.

Flambeur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There are a ton of Lauren Ralph Lauren suits in outlets and on ebay, they are pretty ******.. Well I actually assumed they are better than JOnes NY stuff, but I guess not.

ProfessorShak

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mattg
"Lauren by Ralph Lauren" is a lincensed brand, manufactured and distributed by Peerless Clothing out of Canada (I believe) they are the same company that manufactures, licenses, and distributes, the lower end line of Calvin Klein, Michael Kors, Sean Jean, Joseph Aboud, and a few others. The quality is sub-par but the Ralph Laurens make decent cheap travel jackets if you can get them at a deep discount. These lines are often used by retailers to decieve the consumer into believing that they are getting huge discounts on a $695 suit, at a great value of $299 when in reality the standard retail of these suits with a 2.4 mark up would be less than that, probably around $275. Steer clear unless your looking for something cheap and they're on sale for $150.

The Macy's in Herald Square has these Suits in abundance and weren't on sale both times I went to check for fitting. A complete suit would cost you $450 at macys, I bought mine brand new from Pearless Clothing for $150 from a colleague whos a consultant at the Mansion on Madison. I needed a completely new line of suits and didn't have the budget to even get one Zegna. But me coming out from a 100% Polyester Line, getting 3 "LAUREN" labeled suits for $450 (the cost of one at Macy's) was more than enought to get me through the next few years until I move up the ladder. I had a relative of mine who's a tailor alter them for $50 and I get compliments and "dapper" from everyone at work.

I don't think I would've bought them at $450 per suit, but if they're on sale it's a good entry level suit. I'm sure it will last me long enough until I get that well paying job.

why4009

Reaction score
Thank god I found this thread. I saw a nice looking feeling lauren suit at Macy's when I was trying to help my dad find a suit that he would wear maybe once every 3 months.

I thought about going back today to get the lauren by ralph lauren (green label on the sleeve). Thanks SF for avoiding a mistake!

As far as my dad goes found him a decenty Alfani for 50 bucks at Macy's (it had a small defect - Dad didn't care). 30 bucks in alterations and he is set. Even took him over to Nordstrom rack and showed him some AEs and explained exactly what I wanted him to buy (black captoe, leather sole, Allen Edmonds). Thanks to SF I was able to help me dad and that is always a nice feeling. Told him what an acceptable price is, and told him to get shoe trees.

SF rocks!

jkidd41011

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have had two Lauren suits, they are servicable and good at filling in a day. I was able to purchase mine a few years ago (the store is no longer in business-bought out) for 50% off so the purchase price was somewhere in the low to mid $200 range. Alterations were free. They have held up ok, but I have phased one out and hope to phase the second one out soon. You can still find them at Dillard's and Macy's.

I wouldn't pay more then what I paid for them before unless they included alterations. You can find better suits at Marshalls, Some TJ maxx's, etc. for less money. I've also had good luck with the Jos A Banks suits which you can get for the same or less then the Lauren's. I've also fared well with my Brooks Brothers 346 suit. It's my oldest one (almost 6 years old) and its held up pretty well.

crpz32

Reaction score
They are sack suits with huge arm holes. I tried one that was my size (38S) and the bottom of the arm hole was half way point to my waist.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads