• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 5: Good Art HLYWD rosette courtesy of Self Edge

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 5th auction is for a custom Good Art HLYWD bracelet courtesy of Self Edge. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

What is "Lauren by Ralph Lauren"?

Patrician

Reaction score
What kind of collection is "Lauren by Ralph Lauren"? Does the it include menswear? It sounds really ladieswear-ish, despite this I've seen menswear having that label.

Eccentric

Reaction score
From what I have seen, it is like sub-par Polo. The line carries plenty of menswear, and is best avoided.

maxnharry

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It really is a sub-line and not very impressive. Would recommend staying away and be careful because some eBay sellers don't make it clear. If you see "Lauren" or the crappy green tag, run.

Dewey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Lauren line is made for the outlets, and it also turns up in lower-quality department stores. I would compare it to the 346 line by Brooks Brothers. The offerings are shoddy compared to the middle and higher lines of both makers.

Thurston

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's diffusion line junk made for distrubution through Steinmart and the like. I think it is inferior to BB's 346 line,

dkzzzz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have seen only two items: Trench coat and women's leather belt. Trench coat is still being sold by STP. Both items were of much higher quality than Polo line. Trench is an absolute gem too bad it is Ralph Lauren sized = one size larger than marked.

Steven Aver

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Lauren Ralph Lauren was a line that was created by Jones Apparal Group some years back. They licensed the name from Ralph Lauren. The story goes a few years back Ralph Lauren demanded the label back, Jones Apparal group sued won a huge settlement and bought Barneys for $300 million (They sold Barneys a while ago).

Spatlese

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What they all said. Can be found in great abundance at Sears.

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
From what I've seen, it populates the Polo outlet stores

likeitaloud

Reaction score
guess this is a thread to ask what is "chaps raulph lauren" thats all we have here in Canada but I've never trusted it enough to buy anything by this label.

Thurston

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by likeitaloud
guess this is a thread to ask what is "chaps raulph lauren" thats all we have here in Canada but I've never trusted it enough to buy anything by this label.

Even worse.

Spatlese

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For years, it was Chaps and Lauren (Polo I've always had a soft spot for) which prevented me from believing Mr. Lipshitz's company was capable of turning out something along the lines of Purple Label. But now I'm convinced that Chaps and Lauren is still junk, I still have a soft spot for Polo, and I'm completely sold on PL.

Patrician

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Spatlese
...I'm completely sold on PL.

Who isnt

SwedishFish

Reaction score
Originally Posted by AnGeLiCbOrIs
How about American Living? Chaps/LRL at least are made by other manufacturers. American Living is an actual product of Ralph Lauren (RN 41381) that is on that same level.
Never heard of American Living until a few days ago. JC Penney has it all on sale right now. The men's stuff truly is awful, and what about that logo: huge eagle holding the Star Spangled Banner in its claws?!?! Only item I would consider is this buffalo plaid woven cotton shirt @ $50.00 (flannel?).

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How many pairs of shoes do you own?

• 1 - 4

Votes: 27 3.4%
  • 5 - 10

Votes: 137 17.4%
  • 11 - 20

Votes: 257 32.7%
  • 21 - 30

Votes: 123 15.6%
  • 31 - 40