• We would like to welcome Pete and Harry as an official Affiliate Vendor. Pete and Harry, co-founded by Erik (EFV) one of our long time members and friends, offers a wide variety of products, clothes, watches and accessories, antique, vintage, “pre-loved” and new - all at unparalleled prices. Please visit their new thread and give them a warm welcome.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

What happened to these shoes?

doublebucklemonk

Reaction score
I picked up a pair of AE Walden's in Burgundy off of Ebay. They were described as "like new" and "worn once". Soles/insoles etc are all in great shape. The color of the shoes if horrible. It looks like somebody tried to die or antique these themselves. I can see at least 4 different colors of die/polish on the shoe. I can clearly see black, dark brown, tan/light brown, and the original burgundy. In spots I can see brush marks, and there is even tan/light brown smeared along the edge of the sole in spots.

So, is this a huge screwup at the factory, or do you think somebody tried a home antiquing project and fubar'd it? Do you think it could be fixed?

I've already emailed the seller and am waiting to here back.

nordicstyle

Reaction score
Maybe they are fixable if you scrub them down with some leather cleaner? I know there was a thread here a while back with a guy who colored his own shoes, maybe you can ask him what he used to clean them up before processing.

Ich_Dien

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I quite like it...

cheessus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a pair of loafers that has the same coloring like that, but they are Varvatos, and not AE. I wouldn't expect it from AE, but from Varvatos, I could see them intentionally doing it this way.

FWIW, I love these loafers and wear them all the time. These differing shades give them character in a broken-in-over-the-many-years sense. I don't find anything too wrong with your pair. Maybe you could just get them shined.

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I quite like it. The uneven coloring, which is actually not too drastic, is quite cool.

If you don't like it, take some dark brown polish and all will be good.

Nick V.

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Judging from the way the finish is flaking off, it looks like some sort of liquid polish/wax.
Try stripping the uppers down with Afta. Then apply cream polish or Lexol.

Featured Sponsor

LARGE METAL WATCHES WITH TAILORING

• Yes, I’m tacky like that.

• No way José! Dress watch with leather strap for me!

• No watch at all.

Results are only viewable after voting.