• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What fabric is this coat made of?

Morthwyl

Reaction score
I’m trying to identify the fabric used in this frock coat, any information on the material or type of weave for the fabric or piping would be helpful. It’s a modern coat rather than an original, vintage piece. I was told by someone that it’s made of moleskin but I doubt it as it’s like no moleskin I’ve ever seen.

Morthwyl

Reaction score
That’s a very good call, I didn’t think about the fabric being reversed. I had a look at the underside of some moleskin I have at hand but the weave on that isn’t the same as the picture, unless different manufacturer’s moleskins use different weaves I think that is pretty much ruled out.

Anyone have any ideas about the piping? It looks kind of like grosgrain or petersham but neither of those seem exactly right.

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It looks like a very traditional woollen cloth from which frock coats are made. To judge by the frayed button hole it is a garment of some years.

Morthwyl

Reaction score
I agree that it it’s most likely made of a woollen fabric rather than anything else, Edwardian era frock coats were typically made of wool so it’d make the most sense. Unfortunately most frock coats I’ve seen seem to be made of smoother or more twill-like fabrics.

The buttonhole was well spotted; the coat was used as an outfit for a character caught in the crossfire of a war so a slightly battered look was required. It was made specifically by the costume department using a Laughing Moon pattern; hence all the distressing has been done artificially.

Morthwyl

Reaction score
Thanks for all the input, I think hopsack weave/barathea is either the correct fabric or at least a very close alternative. Any pictures would be much appreciated.

marcodalondra

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sorry, just crappy iPhone 6s picture. Top half of the picture is the reverse side with the angled basket/hop sack like. The bottom side is the facing side/barathea rib

Ps: it is the same fabric and colour, just the lighting makes it look different

Morthwyl

Reaction score
Thanks for the photo, it's hard to tell for sure but I think it's the best lead so far. I've found a place that stocks dark green barthera so I'll order a swatch, even if it's not an acceptably close shade of green it'll at least give me opportunity to examine the weave first hand.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.8%

Forum statistics

Threads