• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What do you think of these spectators?

Alexander Scriabin

Reaction score
Hello all,

There has been some discussion of late re: spectators and I noticed that nobody has mentioned these...

http://www.newandlingwood.com/product.php?id=454#

They are (C&J?) for New and Lingwood as part of their 'classic' line. I think I really like them...but I'm not sure...hahaha.

What do you think?

Regards,

Alexander Scriabin

rdawson808

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think they are a bit bland. I think if you're going to go for spectators, go for the traditional. I personally like brown and cream. They should stand out a bit more.

b

Film Noir Buff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For tailored clothes, those shoes serve no purpose for a man, stylewise or otherwise. There is no contrast which is the main purpose of a spectator. Spectators are supposed to provide warmer weather relief and lightness to the observed ensemble. Just like the tassel on a loafer is supposed to achieve a similar effect through movement. You wouldnt buy a tassel that was so small you couldnt see it, would you? These specs remind me of someone I know who delights over patterns so faint in his suit cloth that you need to practically lay your nose on top of the suit to discern them.

At most, it's fall shoe with a pair cords.

designprofessor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think there is a pair up on e bay actually. On my monitor they appear to have a slightly greenish cast. If that is the case, it may limit what these will work with. I don't mind the subtle color change, but the color may be a bit tricky.

rdawson808

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by designprofessor
I think there is a pair up on e bay actually. On my monitor they appear to have a slightly greenish cast. If that is the case, it may limit what these will work with. I don't mind the subtle color change, but the color may be a bit tricky.

URL? Size?

b

rdawson808

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Teacher

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'll be the dissenting voice here. I like them quite a bit. No, they don't provide as much contrast as more traditional spectators, but they're still different in tone and texture. The subtle effect can draw less attention while still providing something different.

Film Noir Buff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by EL72
I think these are the green spectators

http://cgi.ebay.com/mens-leather-sho...QQcmdZViewItem

I like those a lot more. The twill quarters offers a lot more contrast. I would still like the calf part darkened just a bit. Would work nicely with an olive suit, either poplin, linen or wool or even silk. Part of what would make this pair more acceptable is the idea that they were designed almost exclusively to be worn with olive pants either oddly or as part of a suit.

Though I have to say the idea of wearing someone else's shoes makes me wince.

I suppose I should come clean that I have a pair of these with a tan twill and darker chestnut brown calf components. Works well with tan and also with dark brown and medium greys and up, especially if the jacket is brown or olive or has yellow/tan in it.

rdawson808

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

mr monty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm a fan of nice spectators, I have several pairs. I really like the pair in your post. Like every thing else, what you wear with those will make or break how you look in them.

Film Noir Buff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rdawson808
Ah yes, green Greens.

I should also say that, as much as I think the spectators first mentioned are not to my taste, I own a pair of Loake Mad Dogs that I love. [Not quite spectators.] So....I could be crazy.

b

I can see why they call them "Mad dogs", to wear those out in the noon day sun, youd have to be "barking". I keed, I keed...
tounge.gif

Actually, its an interesting fall/winter approach to the spectator. I suppose the ne plus ultra would be having strips of a suit youre having made up used for the upper.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 103 36.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 103 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.5%

Forum statistics

Threads