• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Last Day to save 20% sitewide at Kirby Allison's annual Father's Day Sale! !

Kirby Allison is one of Styleforum's original success stories, beginning long ago with Kirby;s Hanger Project. Every year, Kirby holds a Father's Day Sale featuring some of the best accessories and shoe care products in the world. Take this opportunity to get something for your father, grandfather, or yourself, at a rare 20% discount (discount taken automatically at the checkout). See if you find that perfect hanger, shoe cream, or watch case here

Enjoy

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What did you eat last night for dinner?

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

A bit different. It is made sable.

So it is a savory sable? An elegant choice, did not really think of sable in that way. I am used to seeing sable as this really annoying Japanese souvenir gift you're supposed to buy when you go to landmark places like the big Buddha in Kamakura - Americans buy snow globes and enameled teaspoons when they go to Rushmore, the Japanese buy dove-shaped sable biscuits in boxes that are always overpriced, think like $50-100 for a box of baked paste.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
more cauliflower fried "rice" with the other half I had left

This time I just pulsed it in the food processor (no grater attachment) and think the pieces came out too small. I would have pulsed less but there were some big pieces that remained...so I think that either dicing them first and then grating by hand or machine or grating and thing a few quick pulses of the food processor blade is the way to go.

The finer stuff turned out a lot like couscous but the bigger pieces had a better texture for the fried rice imitation (they held their texture a little better).

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
this cauliflower fried rice business sounds kind of depressing, man. I'd be willing to try the dish for ***** and giggles, but I can imagine what it tastes like right now, and it's not amazing enough to want to eat it twice a week... and that's from someone who really loves cauliflower.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
I made a small batch of veal brauts. Texture was perfect but I think I need to amp up the spicing a little. Maybe a little fennel seed.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

this cauliflower fried rice business sounds kind of depressing, man. I'd be willing to try the dish for ***** and giggles, but I can imagine what it tastes like right now, and it's not amazing enough to want to eat it twice a week... and that's from someone who really loves cauliflower.

I dunno...its pretty good. I'm not a huge rice lover so its not like I miss the rice taste. The cauliflower mostly takes on the flavor if the things it was cooked with (the meat/vegetables plus S&P, soy sauce, and some oyster and hoisin sauce).

I don't make the best fried rice in the world but I feel like the only reason I would make real fried rice now is if I had leftover rice. Once I get the grain size down, I'll try making it with one of my asian friends who makes really good fried rice.

Also, for people who do the whole low-carb thing, it is a nifty substitute.

Britalian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Crocchette di fave (stuffed broad bean cakes)
petti d'anatra in limoncello (duck breasts in limoncello)
fresh bread

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Crocchette di fave (stuffed broad bean cakes)
petti d'anatra in limoncello (duck breasts in limoncello)
fresh bread

I'm having trouble imagining this. Was it good?

I'm pretty jealous of people living n a country with so much good, traditional food.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score

That doesn't seem low. I was thinking that sometimes things seem underspiced because they are actually undersalted.

That's true. I went light on seasoning (don't have exact recipe with me) because veal is so nice. Now I'm thinking I should have used more of or something noticeable yet light. Will have to review. I think if I had had some green onions chopped up that might have done it.

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

I'm pretty jealous of people living n a country with so much good, traditional food.

Don't be. Wherever the food is good, the country is usually in a commensurately terrible situation and we'll all be giving biological samples to the Chinese ultra-dna bank within the decade.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

That's true. I went light on seasoning (don't have exact recipe with me) because veal is so nice. Now I'm thinking I should have used more of or something noticeable yet light. Will have to review. I think if I had had some green onions chopped up that might have done it.

Veal is great, but it is slightly bland. It's a great carrier for flavors, though.

I have a suggestion for you, should you want to try it. Take a slice of foie gras, cook it sous vide at 60 for an hour, chill it. Then cut it into cubes and fold it into some duck or pork sausage and stuff. We did this when we did the pig thing in France, and it was awesome.

Britalian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'm having trouble imagining this. Was it good?

It was, actually. It was made by the girlfriend. The duck marinaded for a bit in lemon juice and the booze. After draining it off, she returned it to the pan near the end on high heat to evaporate and thicken with the sauce. Intensely lemony but not too sweet. Served it with pureed carrot and celeriac.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score

Veal is great, but it is slightly bland. It's a great carrier for flavors, though.
I have a suggestion for you, should you want to try it. Take a slice of foie gras, cook it sous vide at 60 for an hour, chill it. Then cut it into cubes and fold it into some duck or pork sausage and stuff. We did this when we did the pig thing in France, and it was awesome.

Oh man, does that sound good. Yes, will do.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ourduck