• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What did you eat last night for dinner?

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

Rambo I do really mean this in a nice way about loving yourself..

I totally understand the principle of cheat days. But there are better ways than that to do it. I'd look for higher fat versions of quality proteins, and probably better quality starches like potato, rice, pasta...

I think the conch and that is fine, but I do hope you'll choose higher quality fats and carbs in future. I mean, even from a culinary standpoint. I'm glad you tried pad thai. I think next time just be more exciting instead of just going on a trucker diet binge. But it's good that you use cheat days to satisfy curiosity and broaden horizons.

I know you did SF. I just don't actually love myself. Negative body image and all that.

Honestly, given what you've written here, I really don't think you understand the principle of the cheat day as well as you think. Certainly not in the capacity that I use it.

As for quality - that's irrelevant. If you want to eat it, you eat it. First off, if I only splurged on high quality ****, my cheat days would be $400. Secondly, the "trucker binge diet" is functionally what I wanted this particular cheat day. A bunch of ****** junk food that I don't normally eat but was craving. Next time, it might be a whole cheesecake and 2 pies. There are no quality restrictions. If one cheat day I feel like eating a whole wheel of some of that fancy ass cheese that MM's always eating, then I will. Thirdly, its a function of my diet as well. I eat very low carbs, only 2 slices of whole wheat along with fruit, so when I do cheat, I enjoy eating foods high in carbs. Because I crave them.

Its all in the mind man.

If I were to have a cheat day I would eat Chinese noodles from morning till night.

Now that sounds damn tasty. If I had a half way decent Chinese place here, who did authentic ****, I'd certainly give that a shot.

I'm lucky in that I don't crave a lot of crap, and never sweets. I don't think I have the self control necessary to stay reasonably thin if I did.

Now you're getting to the heart of it.

I don't crave anything in particular, but then again, I don't particularly restrict my diet. I could stand to lose 15 lbs, and I am doing so, slowly, mainly by just cutting out afternoon and evening cake (yeah, really.)

I used to be on a pretty regimented diet, in a sport that required us to make weight before every event. I was also never higher than 10% BF, and usually hovered just under 9, with a minimum of 7. It sucks. Especially during cutting period, you are always thing about food. Unless you are a professional athlete, or a fitness model, why would you subject yourself to this crap? I mean, it's good to not be obese or have heart disease or diabetes, but food is one of the great things in life. I'm not saying "eat like Rambo on a cheat day", because that also seems crazy. Isn't anyone going to argue for a bit of balance in life?

My question is more for mgm. I see your meals, and you only eat that once a day? That much food barely makes up a snack! I would be in hypoglycemic shock on your diet.

I have quite a bit of balance in my diet. I often go out for dinner by myself and try out new restaurants and foods. Now, when I'm not cheating, I usually avoid carb heavy foods and exceptionally fattening ****, but I try and vary it up. I've done this long enough to know that eating the same ****, day in and day out, is a fast track to the looney bin.

Also, I agree with you RE:MM's eating. One tiny ass piece of fish and a small hunk of cheese does not a day's meals make.

I dislike greatly the concept of "cheat" meals: akin to a recovering addict snorting a line because it's the weekend.

This is not only so far off the mark as to be laughable, it also shows just how naive you are about life in general.

I don't know man, that much berry sauce could fill you up.

I pretty much eat what I want, but I think a lot of people grow up eating ****, so it makes sense that they need to control their diets pretty strictly. The whole binge and fast concept behind cheat days strikes me as an eating disorder waiting to happen, so yeah, I'd argue for balance/

No fasting involved here. Some people do, in fact, prefer a style of eating that involves long fasts. Its popular with some of the guys in H&B.

I know a guy that would order smoked salmon for breakfast but grab mystery meat sausage off his wife's plate. True story.

Rambo, you don't have some sort of lung disease, do you? I hope not but your fingers look like they have "clubbing" which is common in people that have cystic fibrosis, COPD, etc. Btw, skinny, I'm 5# more than you right now!

Dinner was just two bottles of wine (pics in the right thread later), cheese, meats, olives...yum. Three hours with Mrs. PIob just chatting, sipping wine, and nibbling. Life is good.

Noap! Most likely left over from when I was massively obese. I always had chubby little fingas, as the person who I used to take care of tells me.

I'll be even up with you soon enough. Another month in the gym and I should be around 210-215. You better start hitting those smoked meats harder if you want to keep ahead of me!

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score

I don't think so. And, apparently, neither does Joël Robuchon, which is where I first had it.

What does he know? Trust me, that stuff is dreck.

DSC00786.jpg

Oh, here's some foie for you.

DSC01132.jpg

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
:(

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Quote:
As for quality - that's irrelevant. If you want to eat it, you eat it. First off, if I only splurged on high quality ****, my cheat days would be $400. Secondly, the "trucker binge diet" is functionally what I wanted this particular cheat day. A bunch of ****** junk food that I don't normally eat but was craving. Next time, it might be a whole cheesecake and 2 pies. There are no quality restrictions. If one cheat day I feel like eating a whole wheel of some of that fancy ass cheese that MM's always eating, then I will. Thirdly, its a function of my diet as well. I eat very low carbs, only 2 slices of whole wheat along with fruit, so when I do cheat, I enjoy eating foods high in carbs. Because I crave them.

As a psychological cheat that may have been fun but that's way too much fat to be a particularly good refeed. How did you look the next day?

When I was training more and cutting, my refeeds would be in the neighbourhood of about 8K cals of mostly carbs. 10 or so bagels, a few boxes of kids cereal, three pints of FF ice cream and pasta. Maybe 100 gms of fat all in. I would go into a food coma but come out clean on the other side. On my best day I woke up 9 lbs heavier but looked leaner and was string as hell in the gym.

Take a look at RFL if you want to dial this in a little.

lefty

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Hey Rambo, while it makes me sad that you aren't happy with yourself, I am glad to hear how you have turned **** around. Serious.

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

Hey Rambo, while it makes me sad that you aren't happy with yourself, I am glad to hear how you have turned **** around. Serious.

While I wouldn't go so far as to say that I've turned **** around (impending homelesness aside), I do appreciate it my friend. I don't think I'll ever be "happy" with myself. Whatever that means.

Also, I'm glad to see you're embracing your inner carnivore. Have you had the wonder that is the BBQ Baby Back Rib? Good eatin'.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score

What's the soup, and what is in the ravioli? Nice plating, but you too could benefit from having dishes of different shapes and sizes. Also, if you are having me over for dinner, kindly triple portion sizes. One ravioli? My Italian godmother would roll over in her grave, were she dead.

Echo the sentiments about Rambo.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No pictures, but I ate the crap out of parmesan crisps today. And also, fresh croissants and pain au chocolat. Remarkably, Moscow ID has a guy who makes some pretty good croissants and brioche - and even more astounding - more "French" than most bakeries I've tried in NYC, SF, or LA. Yes, Virginia, there is a Santy Clauz.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads