• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What did you eat last night for dinner?

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I wish they wouldn't blade tenderize their Prime beef...although given the way they roll up those steaks, you wouldn't even need blade tenderization to have nasties in the rare parts if you just throw them on the grill wrapped up.

That's part of why I sous vide them...You can hold them at temp long enough to kill stuff without having to bring them to 160.

mgm9128

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Looks like you kept the ribeye caps rolled up into the little steaks they make?

I usually unroll them and vacuum bag the pieces (with some thyme or garlic or whatever) to freeze and/or throw in the sous vide. Each of those rolls usually has about 2 pieces which tend to make a good portion for a person.

I've tried to ask if I can get the ribeye caps before they cut them and roll them...but the answer seems to be "no". Too bad, because it would be fun to get the whole thing and costco will sell you the prime beef for under $20 a pound, while specialty vendors seem to want insane amounts of money for a full cap.

I unrolled them an cooked sous vide st 133f for 2 hours, finished by searing in oil then foaming butter with garlic and thyme.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Yes, have we had this conversation before? Freezing does NOT kill bacteria, only slows the growth. Some places irradiate the meat after blade tenderizing, but I don't think Costco does (because irradiate sounds bad). Honestly there isnt much to do besides heating it up to proper killing temp or not buying blade tenderized. But then again, all meat is exposed to some bacteria in processing and its really a crapshoot to eat undercooked meat. (its not common to get sick, there's just always a more of a chance hence those stupid reminders at restaurants for people who order rare steak and then sue the restaurant when they get e. coli)

Right you are, I was thinking of raw fish and worms/parasites.

jcman311

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That's part of why I sous vide them...You can hold them at temp long enough to kill stuff without having to bring them to 160.
Have we also had this conversation before? Do you know the temperatures at the center of your sous vide meat? Do you know how long it sits at that temperature. I've only had a (1) food science course, but I seem to remember a chart for temperatures to kill bacteria. At 160F, its only like 15 seconds. But at 130F, it becomes much longer. I've also heard that E. coli can survive temperatures of around 120F and then become super E coli and resist temperatures up to (and over in some cases) 140F.

I'm not trying to scare you, just perhaps think a little more about it. But not too much, I used to work with a guy who deathly afraid of any food he could not watched being cooked. Was always afraid of food poisoning.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Here's a chart for poultry where it can be seen kill can happen at way, way under 165 (the FDA guideline.) The FDA picked that because it's near instantaneous at that temp. However, if you think about say rotisserie like I just did, it makes sense I hit 155 for at least .8 minutes way prior to getting it to 165.

20150610-sous-vide-chicken-guide-pasteurization-chart.jpg

Here's one for beef.

Beef%2Bchart.jpg

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Have we also had this conversation before? Do you know the temperatures at the center of your sous vide meat? Do you know how long it sits at that temperature. I've only had a (1) food science course, but I seem to remember a chart for temperatures to kill bacteria. At 160F, its only like 15 seconds. But at 130F, it becomes much longer. I've also heard that E. coli can survive temperatures of around 120F and then become super E coli and resist temperatures up to (and over in some cases) 140F.

I'm not trying to scare you, just perhaps think a little more about it. But not too much, I used to work with a guy who deathly afraid of any food he could not watched being cooked. Was always afraid of food poisoning.
I think we have.

I don't know the live temps at the center of the steaks (I suppose I could try a cook with a thermometer in the bath), but I do base this on what others recommend, and the unrolled steaks are not really too large. Haven't had one in a while, but I'd say the average piece is like 1x2.5x8 (mgm can confirm).

The whole idea of most sous vide is that you are bringing the whole thing to your target temp. I don't keep my steaks super rare, so my target temp is a little higher (I never do sub-130), and they sit in that bath for a couple of hours. Most of the time tables out there are for steaks closer to 2 inches thick, so these ribeye caps are really going for an extra long time.

At the end of the day, this is certainly safer than just cooking the blade tenderized steak to the same internal temp the traditional way. If you just cook it in the pan, the center might only hit your target temp in the rest phase and only stay there for a couple of minutes.

Geoffrey Firmin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sunday night dinner. Baked Salmon filet with EVO S&P on lemon slices, for the herbivore Suzy Spoon’s the vegetarian butchers schnitzel both served with a dolop of Arugula pesto and Ottolenghi Kohlrabi (modified) salad.

Dessert raspberry vegan jelly with macerated strawberries in Cointreau and lemon juice, topped by mixed berry sorbet.

cashchie

Reaction score
Mcdonald's. Woo. The Veggie Burger, which to be fair, is actually pretty nice. That being said, I desperately need to learn how to cook.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Split and seasoned a whole duck Friday night and bagged up the halves with garlic, thyme, and shallots. Fifteen hours at 178. Picked the meat off the carcass, seasoned (including 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves), whipped in fat and juice with the Kitchen Aide, bagged into serving portions for future use. So good.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads