• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What compliments did you recieve today?

BOF

Reaction score
For a while I was alternating between using sunglasses from a Dollar Store, and a pair of $300 designer ones. The dollar store glasses got far more compliments (designer ones actually got none). I stopped thinking that price/designer really has much to do with how good something looks.

Robert

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
^ What is known as a light-bulb-going-on-over-head moment.

Lel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by BOF
For a while I was alternating between using sunglasses from a Dollar Store, and a pair of $300 designer ones. The dollar store glasses got far more compliments (designer ones actually got none). I stopped thinking that price/designer really has much to do with how good something looks.

Designer sunglasses always seemed like a joke to me, but nothing compared to "luxury watches".

Biscotti

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^at the above comment, one can not compare higher end sunglasses with those from say H&M. There is such a difference in the finish, lenses, etc. The difference may not matter to some, but it is hard to call high end sunglasses a 'joke.'

Lel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Biscotti
^^at the above comment, one can not compare higher end sunglasses with those from say H&M. There is such a difference in the finish, lenses, etc. The difference may not matter to some, but it is hard to call high end sunglasses a 'joke.'
I'm talking in vast terms of generalization because a lot of glasses are usually made in the same factories, just branded into their various brands. I don't really have a problem with most of them (I've handled "cheap" glasses, "classic" ones, and "nice" ones and I do notice there is a difference), I was more of talking about how I think luxury watches are a joke while at least sunglasses have some form of practicality.

Big Pun

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I never buy sunglasses over $10 because I break/lose them within a month.

Oh yeah today's compliment: "Nice shoes." On me: $10 Walmart white slipons.
facepalm.gif

And it's also true that if I saw someone dressed like me I wouldn't think they looked good... but then again I hardly ever buy ****.

ChronoGN

Reaction score
I got "nice belt" compliment on my Christian Audigier belt today.
smile.gif
And I agree about the sunglasses thing. I always break them or lose them so I never buy designer stuff anymore.

Doctor

Reaction score
Originally Posted by BOF

I have realised this in the not so distant past. Actually, I've grown to hate labels on my clothes. I purchase things only based on how they look and the quality. I still find myself drawn to the designer clothing in stores for some reason - I make a conscious effort to look at everything these days.

I just got a "wow - that shirt looks REALLY good on you! Nice colour!" and the shirt is a no-name brand that just cost me $24 last week. She was really enthusiastic too. And the fabric is good quality. I think I'll wear it again tomorrow
tongue.gif

ppllzz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ChronoGN
I got "nice belt" compliment on my Christian Audigier belt today.
smile.gif

And I agree about the sunglasses thing. I always break them or lose them so I never buy designer stuff anymore.

pic? ive been looking for a good belt with a tiger or dragon on it. not into sparkles but something brown with a dragon or something either on the leather or the buckle would be cool

willy cheesesteak

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

Johnny Sneakers

Reaction score
Originally Posted by BOF
I think people are intimidated to compliment on big name designer stuff. I feel like if I told someone "Nice glasses" about their rhinestone-studded D&G shades they would look at me, blink slowly, and say "I know".

db_ggmm

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Got a "great shirt, looks good" from a middle aged woman while headed out of work. Twenty dollar thing from H&M, light orange teeny tiny checks, looks like orange creme from a distance.

BOF

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Johnny Sneakers
I think people are intimidated to compliment on big name designer stuff. I feel like if I told someone "Nice glasses" about their rhinestone-studded D&G shades they would look at me, blink slowly, and say "I know".

There was nothing flashy at all about the glasses, just some black ray-bans. Admittedly, prescription polarized lenses added a fair amount to the cost, but they're still being compared to $1 sunglasses...

Otherwise, I've followed the general advice of the forum and have been getting slimmer shirts, which seem to generate nice comments.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
"Nice one !"

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 94 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads